“4-star hotel? Definitely not”

Alexander The Great Beach Hotel
Ranked #1 of 13 Hotels in Kriopigi
Reviewed October 2, 2012

Stayed only for one night for incredible 90 euros, then we moved to different hotel. Well, location OK, the city center of Kallithea is faaaaar away (30-45 mins of walk - 5 km?). The beach was good, better than in other Kallithea hotels and resorts. The room was very old, with very old furniture and equipment (especially the bathroom), with strange and not working A/C. And the food - we were lucky, that we have "enjoyed" the real fight for the food only once. Not wery tasty selection of simple food, fights for the sweets and fruits (especially melon) and "chemical" juices. The staff at the reception was friendly, but in the restaurant, no smile, sterile poker faces... The funny thing is that you have to buy even bottle of water (2,5-3Euros) for the dinner, since there are no free drinks.

The hotel and surroundings (pool, park, access to the beach) needs lot of renovation works.

Stayed in September 2011 - Selected Nov. 2011 as the closest possible option.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
2  Thank Roman813

Reviewed September 27, 2012

I have spent in this hotel 14 days in August 2012. The hotel is 2 STARS!!!! I will tell you how do they get the 4 stars ranking from the Ministry of Culture and Tourism Greece.
The hole hotel is 2 stars but only the suites from the 5 floor are 4 stars rooms. On my check in, first they gave me a regular room(2 stars). First I went to the room to check it if is OK, in order to bring all my belongings in the room. This was in the main building. The room is disgusting and the bathroom is worst. I went back to the reception and I told them that I cant live in that room. They gave me other room. The difference was just the level...the first was on the second floor and the second room was on the 4th floor. I went back to reception and I told them that I want to make a written complain because I have booked 4 stars room and what I got is 2 stars room. In the written complain I have mentioned all the bad thinks which I have found in the room: A/C not working, rusty lamps, broken floor tiles, broken bathroom ceiling, etc... Second they I was informed that they have found a suite on the 5th floor for me. I went to check the room before moving all the staff. The suite is much better. It is bigger and the the quality of the FF&E is much better. Even in this room I have found a lot of broken things but it was closer to my expectations.
The biggest surprise was when I have opened the closet. Inside I have found the certificate from the Ministry of Culture and Tourism Greece which was certifying that the room is 4 stars. Then the hotel got the ranking on the suites from the 5th floor, but the rest of the hotel is 2 stars. I think the Ministry of Culture and Tourism Greece do not have the ranking on different quality rooms like in other countries where you can find in a hotel 3,4 and 5 stars rooms. So they sale 4 stars room and they provide to the guest 2 star rooms and if you do not complain you will spend your vacation in a miserable room.
The beach is dirty and the sand is not like they said. The Blue Flag should be removed from their beach. If you will go to the next door hotels you will find better beach and sand.
The restaurant is average. The waiters are not interacting with the guests and never smiling.
The food is repeating often and the cooks are not paying attention to details...for example at the breakfast they had rice pudding in one day and instead of cinnamon powder on top, they put sweet paprika powder:)):)):)).
The bars are poor. One day I have asked the bartender from the pool bar to make a Apple Martini....she didn't know to make it and the I have asked for a Piña colada...which was the worst of my life.
The pool is dirty and are missing a lot of ceramic tiles from the mosaic. Do not send kids without snorkeling shoes because they can hurt their feet.
I can tell you more bad thinks but I have no time.....
I would like to tell you some good things about this location but the only good things I remember was the blue water and my family......

Room Tip: Only 5th floor booking if you decide to go. Main building right side A/C is under capacity and is...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
13  Thank InspectorGourmet
Reviewed September 18, 2012

We stayed at the end of August 7 days at Alexander the Great, nice complex, full of greenery, but I star hotel, ripe for renovation. We were in the bungalows, spacious rooms and a terrace in the shade is really lovely, but the rooms old and fusty. Daily cleaning, changing linens and towels. I think the hotel lost *, 3 * now, and in that range. Food tasty but very small selection, staff slow, somehow dragged through the restaurant and complex, always something missing, always wait for the utensils, fruit, glasses .... High prices on the campus, charged deck chairs, internet, does not have any animation, children's play failed ... but the only thing that all the above are nullified by the beach, a beautiful, white fine sand, turquoise waters, warm, no waves ... awesome. I do not believe that I stayed back at the hotel, but the hotel because of the nearby beach.

Room Tip: family room
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Lidija J
Reviewed September 7, 2012

We visited Alexander in 2009 and 2011 and we were satisfied with the rooms and service we got then. We got rooms in the bungalows, which are bigger compared to those in the main building.
This year we went for the third time and as usual we booked a sea-view room and we wanted it to be in the bungalows, but the TA (Dertour) couldn't promise this.
Anyway, we got there, found a parking space (luckily, as it turned out that the parking is crowded and you can't park there if you return from your evening tour after 22h) but couldn't get our room until 14h.
I explicitly asked the receptionist whether the room is with sea-view, he said YES and handed the keys to a room that was anything, but a sea-view room! It was in the main building, it faced north, so we were seeing the main road, there was some terrible smell of drain and a constant buzzing noise, probably from the big units of the A/C at the side of the building. It was also too small to fit the baby cot there. My husband went to the reception immediately and insisted that this is not a sea-view room, and the receptionist told him that this was actually a garden view room (yes, he has forgotten what he told us 10 min ago) and that the TA didn't booked the correct room.
My husband insisted that they give us another room, because the noise is too loud in this one and moreover, we had payed for a sea-view room. First they told us they can change the room the next day, but after a small quarrel they gave us a sea-facing room in the main building.
I must be honest, the view was magnificent, although the room was again small and we were pretty jammed in there.
Again we were very happy with the crystal water and the beach, we know from previous visits that we need to book a beach set at the reception.
And here the positives end. We didn't get our room cleaned for 3 days! We checked in on Sunday and on Tuesday afternoon I caught a chambermaid in the corridor and had to ask her to clean the room at last! After that we had fresh towels and bed sheets the next day.

The bathroom was in a pretty bad condition, with mould between the tiles and around the bath.

Food was with good quality, but without much variety. I am a spaghetti fan indeed, but when I'm offered pasta for dinner 5 evenings in a row, I finally get sick of it. The restaurant doesn't match the capacity of the hotel, so we either had to queue in front of it to be let in or had to queue around the food bars and wait for a clean dish or to get some fruits, which were served in only one place in the whole restaurant. Breakfast was the same everyday - eggs, cheese and some salami, there was always a big line for the bread, which is not sliced and everyone can touch it and waste lots of time to slice it. Coffee was not good at all, you need to remove the mug when it's half full, otherwise it's filled in with water.

Parking lot is not big enough either, if you come back later then 22h, you either have to park on the grass or outside of the hotel.

All in all, our positive impressions from the previous 2 visits vanished and we would definitely look for another place next time. The hotel needs renovation and the staff shouldn't try to lie the guests and put them in cheaper rooms that are probably not good enough even for the personnel there.

Room Tip: Rooms in the bungalows are bigger. If you are in the main building, avoid the side rooms, they are...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank Boryana G
Reviewed August 4, 2012

the hotel is buid in a great location .
the sea is just amazing !!!!!!!!!!!!
the capasity of the hotel is very big and the quests arent very polite.
In generall i can say that value for money in this hotel is exeptional !!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank george m
Reviewed August 2, 2012

This hotel is located on one of the best spots on the Halkidiki peninsula. The hotel's beach is also one of the most beautiful on the peninsula, with fine golden sand, crystal clear blue waters, awarded with blue flag. The unique thing about this beach is that the hill and the vegetation behind it make a shade when the sun is low in the late afternoon hours. Swimming there in this afternoon hours is magical.
Only small part of the property (around the main building) is well maintained. The rooms are outdated with many small inperfections. The air conditioning cannot be regulated and makes a lot of noise. The breakfast was disapointment - very low quality food. I chose B&B after reading the reviews here on TA and I believe I was right. There are plenty of good and great restaurants wiithin 10km distance. The restaurant crew looked desperate, understaffed and unskilled during the breakfast. Hotel's lobby was 5 degrees warmer than the air outside. Hotel's elevators were 10 to 15 degrees warmer than the air outside. (The temperature outside was about 35 degrees.) In the first few days of my stay, the hotel tolerated overnight reservations of the sunbeds on the beach. The reception staff was mostly nice and helpfuf, except for trying to charge me twice for the room's safe. As I refused, the receptionist retreated, but never apologised for his mistake.
I got my room at bargain price (last minute offer), so I consider this vacation as very good value for money. If I would pay the list price I would considered it overpriced. On top of the B&B price, I was paying 1,5 Euro per day for using the safe, 4 Euros per day for sunbeds and umbrella at the beach and 5 Euros for 24 hours of usage of the wireless internet that was available only in the hotel's lobby.
If you decide to enjoy the beautiful nature and beach and to ignore all the little inperfections, this hotel can be a nice place for vacation. On the other hand, if management decides to put a decent effort in running the hotel and property, this hotel can become a great place for vacation.

Room Tip: 428, 429, all rooms facing north. You will still have side sea view, but without the noise from the...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank braima
Reviewed July 26, 2012

In spring, after long searches on the net to travel agencies and also after I consulted in good faith sites "have been there" and "trip advisor" we decided to go to Alexander The Great.Unfortunately, even in week departure in Greece appeared on the two sites mentioned above, total disarming impressions on location. The first phone I gave was to the travel agent and I warned it if that if true board will have a problem with us. "Value for my money" is what I expect to receive from anywhere acquisitions. Response was not able to reassure me, saying "you can not please everyone" does honor to a sales person ... Accordingly I fitted white sheet, contract with tourists, phone / fax, mail often to make any complaint to travel agency and ... the road by bus. After 13 hours long, we reached the entrance to the complex. Here the first surprise, an employee of the hotel took with a golf cart our bags and deposited them at the reception. At reception we were greeted with a smile professional courtesy, hospitality and ... excuses, not rooms released. Was 11.30. Teaching to make room on departure at 12.00 and accommodation is relatively soon after 13.30, depending on the preparation room for newcomers. At noon the hall was full of Internet users, laptop chargers everywhere, I think they were all functional outlets in the lobby. 5 euro for 12 hours actual net cost of connection. I began to have doubts about impressions referred to above. After we were staying and we were explained the rules of the house (air conditioning operation, the hours then could eat) I entered the room. Clean, decent equipment, furniture ok, not new, but without failings, maintained very well. For our daughter of 4.5 years old we had an extra bed that we joined with the existing matrimonial one, generating an appreciable surface for rest. The presentation map of the hotel, professionally done, is communicated that changing linens and towels throughout the three days. We can say that it happened. On the balcony we found appropriate furniture to relax, a table, two chairs, light from a lamp placed on the table and not least a folding clothes dryer. The room was large, bathroom decent size, well designed cabinets for placing personal luggage. I don`t found any ants in the room.Let's go for breakfast. From the entrance to the restaurant stand out three aspects, special cleaning, lack of congestion (space for very large meal) and lack of any smell of food. We had half board, meals morning and evening respectively. In Swedish buffet. The variety of products offered, about quality I can tell you we have nothing to reproach. The "mush" a "review" was rice with milk and lots of cinnamon on top. Children delicious, I particularly appreciated for its flavor I. I have written a lot about the services table and all the best. Not repeated in the main menu 7 days holiday. Only excellent coffee was automatically adjusted to the same. I don`t found "fight for survival" described in another review, if they eat an assortment of food cook with white gloves immediately solve the "problem". Pasta, seafood and desserts were cooked in many restaurants, sight, by the same chefs with white gloves. Special! I have not seen the restaurant full in 7 days, filled to capacity. Often we sat across the same table. I asked the manager at the reception about the kitchen and told me that their chef is one of the most appreciated and medal "feel" of Greece. Congratulations and our thanks! The beach is really great. Cleaning at its best. Periodically an employee comes to each umbrella and came up garbage. I recommend you rent from reception so called "beach set" which consists of an umbrella and two chairs at the price of 4 euros / day. The girl also got a chair at the same price. If not rent from reception price is 8 euro / day. The water is crystal clear, sea entrance is steep, very warm sea. Distance from beach umbrellas is about 4-5 meters, I have never seen all occupied. I can say is oversized beach as the possibility of staying in the hotel reception. Quiet and clean, decent and hospitable. At the bar on the beach you will find almost everything you want, from beer, water, juices, ice cream and foods. Is there a beach volleyball court, the complex is a basketball court, a tennis court, an air conditioned room where you can play billiards, table tennis and is arranged and a playground for children .. . At the time I was there was a Greek night organized an evening for children, yoga on the beach three times a week, spending the bar to meet us between us. In conclusion, I highly recommend this location quiet frank, those who enjoy excellent Greek cuisine emphasized very well prepared and served, those who really want to relax. Thanks and congratulations to the staff of Alexander The Great!Fortunately, from my point of view, everything was fine, did not confirm the previously published our departure.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank Basy19
Also consider these accommodations in or near Kriopigi
1 mi away
#3 of 13 in Kriopigi
Sani Beach
Sani Beach
#5 of 6 in Sani

Been to Alexander The Great Beach Hotel? Share your experiences!