“Quiet location with good food”

Strouboulis Taverna
Ranked #2 of 44 Restaurants in Afitos
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed September 10, 2013 via mobile

On the edge of village, a few metres on past Christos, there is no village bustle and as a result little atmosphere. Season is closing soon so it is hard to get that only from the restaurant itself. However if you just want a quiet meal without all that it is hard to fault this place. Others have commented on limited menu, it was not an issue for us, we declined fish of the day, after all it isn't compulsory. Home made meatballs were delicious as were the grilled prawns.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

When we visited Afitos we asked randomly locals in shops and kiosks where we should go for a decent meal and they all recommended Strouboulis.Though not at the best location of Afitos (there are restaurants with breathtaking views of the sea) the restaurant has a lovely terrace and ambiance.

Once seated, the restaurant owner came to our table and advised on what was available (I liked the fact that she comes clean directly saying that today I don't have a,b,c...) and her recommendations. Word of advice, LISTEN TO HER. The lady knows what she's saying, she knows what she recommends....

As per my title we visited twice within two weeks. The first time we tried mainly meat which was fantastic. As we were a large group of friends, 4 of them decided to try the grilled squid as per the owner's advice. This was a big squid and all of our group afforted to try at least a bit of it. It was pure heaven!

On our second visit with a much smaller group of friends, we decided to go with the fish/ sea food option. Honestly I couldn't fail a dish. Mussels, grilled sardines, calamari, prawns etc...I am practically drooling at the memory....!!!

FInally at the end we were offered complementary ice cream ( I am not sure whether it was in house made but it was perfect!) which was just what we needed to complete the whole experience.

Have and will definitely reccomend!

1  Thank pioann
Reviewed August 11, 2013

Having recently eaten at the restaurant I decided to write this review. I've eaten at many restaurants throughout Greece and the Greek Islands and this has by far been the worst poorly run with a shockingly small menu. Before I sound like a complete moaner, I have left over 100 reviews over time on tripadvisor and this has and will hopefully be my only negative one. Firstly I must add the setting of this restaurant is very nice, but the food and service is terrible. On are arrival we were offered 2 fish courses, which we decided against. With the menu being small we then found only a couple of authentic Greek meals we would like. On ordering these meals...we were told that these couldn't be ordered as they had none. We were then only left with the option of either the fish, which had be offered to us earlier or the higher ended stuff on the menu. Because we has already ordered and been served are drinks we decided to go for the steak fillet. We were then asked how we would like are steaks, which was medium to well done, only to receive them rare medium when they finally arrived. To sum it up although it looks nice from the outside, the menu and service make this the worst restaurant I've eaten at in 12 years of visiting Greece. There's another nice restaurants In Afitos to avoid this one.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

A little bit further up the road but well worth the extra few yards. Lovely owner. Recommend the meat balls and fish of the day which is to be shared between friends! We recommended this to others in our hotel who loved it too

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Lovely little restaurant off the main square serving fresh fish and delicious greek dishes. Great service. Lovely ambience. Highly recommended although slightly pricier than the majority of other local restaurants in Afitos.