“Lovely relaxing time in Vasilaras”
Review of Vasilaras Hotel

Vasilaras Hotel
Ranked #10 of 12 Hotels in Angistri
Worcester, United Kingdom
“Lovely relaxing time in Vasilaras”
Reviewed May 31, 2012

We have been going to Vasilaras for over 10 years. We missed last year so wondered how things would be when returning this year. We were made very welcome and had a great time. Maria and her daughter Vasso were excellent hosts. Maria cooked us some fabulous Greek food. We had rooms with super views overlooking the sea. They were cleaned daily and we regularly had clean sheets and towels.
If you are looking for a 5 star hotel then this isn't for you but if you want a delightful place to stay where you are made to feel very welcome and want to enjoy peace and quiet on a lovely Greek island and then this is a great choice.

Room Tip: The rooms with balconies overlooking the sea are my favourite.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Sally F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
  • Greek first
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 15, 2011

We are regular visitors to Agistri and know the pricing structure and quality of the various hotels. I felt that the price we paid (150 euros for 2 nights) was excessive considering the quality of the room. We were in an annexe across the road from the main hotel and the room was the typical 'studio' room with a kitchen area, table and sofa. The room felt cluttered and dark. In theory we had a sea view but because we were on the ground floor the view fell onto the waste ground in front of our small balcony. Breakfast was poor but I'm used to the fact that people don't come to Greece for the quality of their breakfasts.

I felt that the hotel was looking for a quick, fast buck from tourists who wouldn't know any better. When I booked the hotel and saw the price I did raise an eyebrow but my memory of it was that the location was good and the website suggested an element of luxury, which was lacking. The manager/owner was surprised when she realised that we were in fact 'local' and she was even more disappointed when she realised we wanted a receipt.

I'm really sad about this hotel because it's such a struggle for Greeks at the moment with the increased taxes and the various disruptions and hotels like this do nothing to make people want to travel here. If this had been my annual holiday then I'd have been terribly upset.

Room Tip: I would ask for a room in the main hotel or an upstairs room in the annexe
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Heidikraut
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed October 9, 2010

Having read the great reviews of this hotel we decided to stay there for 3 nights and celebrate my birthday. We arrived around noon and where shown our room. I had booked a double superior room which was supposed to be a "high quality accommodation". It was clean and had a nice view so it looked ok, but later we learned that the door to the balcony squeaked very loudly and the toilet flushed loudly for minutes which were not so great as we travelled with a baby who would wake from these sounds.
I asked to see the maisonettes and Maria showed them to me but they were not suitable for families with small children so we stayed in this room. My husband had tried to phone the hotel to order a birthday cake for me but as they hadn't answered the phone he asked at lunch time for a cake for the same night and Maria replied "Not a problem"(like she replied to everything which in the end was actually a bit annoying because it seemed it was her only communication).
We were the only guests at the hotel so off course she didn’t have everything on the menu but she didn’t even have the basic like orange juice, rice or potatoes except from the same oil dripping French fries as we had for lunch.
My husband was waiting for the cake to come but it never did and Maria didn't even bother to tell him that she hadn't been able to make it.
We went to our room and our son incidentally touched the reading light by the bed which consist s of 2 spots which is neither very nice nor safe so he got a 2nd degree burn.
Tired we went to bed but the mattress in this bed was the worst I have ever slept on(and having travelled a lot with my work I don't think I am difficult). The pillows where very hard and uncomfortable so we didn't sleep well at all.
The breakfast only consisted of one slice of ham and cheese(only for the adults not for my son) and bread and jam and an apple and an orange to share. Not even a yogurt or an egg.
I had told Maria that my son was looking forward to swimming in their pool but we checked it several times and it was never clean.
In the end we decided to leave this hotel after just 24 hours and find another one eventhough we had to pay for the entire 3 days.As we checked out Maria said that we could move to another room in a new building but I just wonder why she hadn't shown us the nicer room when we were the only ones there.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
5 Thank familien55
London
Reviewed July 18, 2009

We stayed here for a week after a couple of days in Athens. The hotel was great- a relaxing pool area, lovely friendly staff and a great location near to the beach.

On our first night at the hotel the toilet in our room was broken. This first room was very basic. However we were moved the next day to a newer (and much nicer) room in the seperate block. The room was spacious with a kitchen area and sofa. My only gripe was that the pillows were a bit hard and uncomfortable.

Patrick, Maria and Katerina were all so helpful and friendly. Patrick particularly was always on hand to help with boat times etc.

The food at the restaurant was great- we had a few lunches there after lazing by the pool and an evening meal too- some of the best food we had on the island.

The Breakfast was fine- bread/cheese/fruit/boiled eggs and yogurt and the occasional spinach pie (more of these would have been welcome!). After reading some of the other reviews here that seemed to think the breakfast was too mimimal I was surprised at how much choice there was. True- you can 'upgrade' too something more substantial at an extra cost, but we really didnt feel the need!

Try the Saronis restaurant opposite the church too- really friendly owner and great food and wine!

We had a really relaxing week on the island- if you want to escape somewhere quiet to unwind then I'd recommend Agristi and you could do no better than staying at the Vasilaras!

3 Thank Marianne&Rich
ireland
Reviewed June 21, 2009

This little island is beautiful, everything you want in a Greek island if you are after R&R. We hired a scooter to explore which didn't take too long, you can get around the island fairly quickly. We enjoyed having transport to the smaller quiet beaches.

On walking up the hill to Vasilaras Hotel we first met Byron and Patrick who were extremely helpful. We were delighted with the view from our balcony and proximity to the beach. The restaurant area is comfortable with a view over the pool. Breakfast every day was perfect, lots of fresh fruit, yogurt etc. Unfortunately we only had one evening meal at the restaurant which which was lovely, we just preferred to try some of the other Tavernas, the big decision being the view (which took preference over the food).

We met many people that had been returning to the Vasilaras year after year and we could see why. We will probably be back too.

Thanks for a great holiday.

2 Thank ziggy03
Saddleworth
Reviewed June 14, 2009

We’d heard of Agistri through one of Cath’s work colleagues. Having experienced several of the quieter Greek Islands it seemed to be right up our street. The hotel was chosen and the bookings made. The Vasilaras was chosen after reading the positive reviews left by most of their past visitors. We decided to ignore the “we got instant coffee” type negative reviews, let’s face it it’s hard to please all of the people all of the time.

Travel plans went like clockwork and just before noon we disembarked the Poseidon Hellas and walked from the port to the hotel a journey of ooh at least 2 minutes.

We were met by Patrick who was very apologetic, “You’re room won’t be ready until 2.00pm” no problem that’s what we had been told in the fantastic instructions on how too get to the island and how to find the hotel once we got there.

We left our cases and went off for our first Agistrian meal……..3 hours later we stumbled back to the hotel, probably as much as 150mtrs. from where we had spent the last 3 hours. Our holiday had truly begun.

Our room was big, light and more importantly spotlessly clean, thanks mainly to Catarina, one of the hardest working women we have ever come across, when she’s not busy cleaning rooms she’s helping with breakfast or evening meals.

The hotels proprietor Maria cooks some of the most amazing meals, her grilled fish with lemon sauce is spectacular. With Patrick and Byron as her right hand men she runs one of the best Greek hotels we have ever come across. From the typically Greek breakfast of cake, cheese, meat, yoghurt and honey to the “just one for the road” in the early hours of the next morning this team seemed to be tireless.

If you want to stay in the Hilton or the Raddison then don’t come to Agistri, in fact to go to any of the Greek Islands. If you want a first class, well run, clean, comfortable holiday hotel get yourself to Agistri and make sure you book into the Vasilaras.

Everywhere you go on the island people will tell you the name Agistri translates as “the hook” meaning that the island will hook you and you will return. We’re not sure about that, we have been to more picturesque and interesting islands but we have never come across a hotel that makes you feel as welcome and comfortable as the Vasilaras. Perhaps Maria should consider a name change for the hotel…….. could we suggest “The Hook”.

2 Thank Le55tot
Athens
Reviewed June 2, 2009

having read all the wonderful reviews of this hotel we decided to stay there one week -end. We were given an average room and were not shown the maisonettes . The toilet made a loud noise when flushed which continued for a couple of minutes and this was very distubing in the night.
Breakfast was the worst I have eaten in years. INSTANT COFFEE stale cake, cheap orange juice,white bread and small jam samples. When I told Maria about the problem of the noise of the toilet she advised me that all the toilets in Agistri make a noise. When I commented on the instant coffee only for breakfat she said , but it s Nescafe/Everyone knows that Greece has the worst quality instant Nescafe. When I told her the cake was stale..she said it was homemade and that it was only three days old...NO LISTENING TO THE CUSTOMERS WOES..JUST NOT INTERESTED.....

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends
2 Thank elenimicro
Vasilaras, Owner at Vasilaras Hotel, responded to this review, June 7, 2009
We are sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us. We thank you for your comments and will use them to improve the quality of our service in future.