“MOST AMAZING EXPERIENCE!!!!”
Review of Hotel Tagoo

Hotel Tagoo
Ranked #3 of 82 Hotels in Mykonos Town
Reviewed June 29, 2010

WOW! I can only say great things about this hotel and the staff. Anna and her husband were extremely hospitable from the second we were picked up at the airport. They were so warm, caring and helpful and really did everything they could to make our trip the best it could be :) Jim was a fantastic bartender....probably the best and we always enjoyed our poolside cocktails! As for the the actual hotel, it was so beautiful with such authentic greek charm. We loved all of the different levels, the pool and views were out of this world and although I only made it to breakfast once, it was great. The hotel is so close to the town center as well-probably about a 7-10 minute walk down the hill. How convenient is that?! I can't even describe how fantastic this place is, you'll have to see it for yourself! By far the best value for money. Thanks for making our trip such a memorable one....we're coming back in September if you have room for us!
Megan, Toronto, Canada

1  Thank Megan033
Write a ReviewReviews (1,287)

Reviewed June 26, 2010

We stayed with Anna and Yanni for six nights in late June. This is a lovely family-run hotel with a beautiful pool area and breathtaking views, just a short walk up the hill from the pretty village. Our room was spacious and spotless and we had a private flagstone patio with beautiful seaviews for around 100 euro a night., a great value in a place where many hotels go for 500 or 600 euro per night or even more. (Though I think in-season rates are more). The hotel is in the classic style of the Greek islands, with white-washed walls, blooming flowers everywhere, quaint stone staircases and a lovely sun deck overlooking it all. The scene around the pool was very lively, with good music and a bar well tended by Jimmy, who is a sweetheart of a guy. He went out of his way at every opportunity to be helpful and offer ideas on beaches and restaurants. Anna of course had encyclopedic knowledge of restaurants, beaches and shopping and I felt she never steered us wrong on the beaches or restaurants she suggested based on what we told her we wanted to do. Everywhere I went in the village, I would meet people who knew Anna. "Tell Anna I said hello," I heard over and over. A few places she suggested we really loved: Avra, a funky traditional Greek restaurant in town; Ithaka, a fish taverna at Ornos beach; and Nammos, the reknowned restaurant at Psarou beach. They host a "Greek night" with Greek dancing, Greek pies and ouzo for the guests and I think they really try to make it special. I saw Anna go through her guest ledger to pick a date where every single guest would have a chance to experience it before leaving. Yanni is a professional Greek dancer, and Anna cooks and freezes those Greek pies all winter. (She invites her girlfriends over to help her and they play cards and cook). This is a place that gets a lot of repeat guests and you can see why.

1  Thank M7C9
Reviewed June 26, 2010

Just returned from a 2 week vacation in the Greek islands. Our first stop was Mykonos where we stayed at Hotel Tagoo. This hotel was recommended to me by another Trip Advisor poster, and to him I say THANK YOU!

The pool area was great (the best of all the hotels we stayed at). Great chairs, views, bar... the best part of the hotel in my opinion. The music was great at the pool too. DJ/bartender Jimmy was lots of fun.

The breakfast area was very good, lots to choose from, always a good way to start your day.

Our room was just what we needed - a quiet place to unwind at the end of the day. Always cleaned daily and well (such sweet cleaning staff, always had a smile for you!). We didn't have a view, but that did not matter in the least. We were out so much and enjoyed the pool view so much, all we did in our room was sleep anyways! The shower was one of the best we experienced (loved that it was in a full tub, even if we didn't use it for baths). Great temperature and water pressure.

The free WiFi was very much appreciated!!

The walk down to the town was fine. As crazy as the road can be with cars, bikes, 4-wheelers, etc.. as long as your are aware of them, they pay you the same courtesy and are careful around you. The walk back up, however... after a night of drinks and lots of food, it tended to be challenging. However, if you're in a group, it's totally worth it to pay the 3 euro taxi ride back up to the top.

Anna and the rest of the staff were amazing hosts. She took the time to learn everyone's name and always asked how were doing, freely giving us tips and advice, suggestions on places to go/to see. The welcome meeting gave us some great tips that saved us a bunch of money during our trip. Anna is one busy woman, but always took the time to care about her guests to make sure they had the best experience possible. SHE is a hidden gem of Mykonos! Thank you Anna for everything!

Reviewed June 26, 2010

This is the first time I have written a review on Tripadvisor and having just returned from a wonderful three-night stay at this hotel, I was inspired to share my experience. Anna (the owner) was extremely kind and helpful and delighted the guests, along with her husband, to a fun Greek night - this included spinach and cheese pies, as well as authentic Greek dancing by her and her husband. We were also given lessons in Greek dancing which was a lot of fun - hopefully we'll remember the steps if we ever get invited to a Greek wedding!

Mykonos is about 10-15 minute walk away but this is in many ways an advantage because it allows you to be far enough from the loud and busting noise of the centre, but close enough to enjoy it if you wish to. Regarding service, Anna not only booked a car and made reservations for us at an exclusive restaurant, but her husband actually picked us up and dropped us off at the airport. You wouldn't expect this service at this price, and the fact that they do it with such grace and hospitality makes you feel you are staying with friends. In fact, the friendly atmosphere that the husband-wife team create in the hotel, encourages many guests to talk and socialise with each others, many of them even returning on an annual basis because they like it so much.

When we arrived, we were kindly upgraded to a twin room with a sea view with a little balcony. This was perfect for more privacy and sun. The room also had a fridge, AC, TV (the world cup qualifying matches were on so it proved handy every now and then!), and a safe too. Anna provided us with a welcoming Ouzo drink when she gave us our orientation talk - all her advice was very helpful (we tried the Skandinavian bar and Jackie O's club on the sea front both of which were great!) and honest.

I have read some recent reviews about the safety of the roads and drivers, but to be honest this is true for almost everywhere (including the beaches) on Mykonos (and almost every Greek island we have ever visited! If you wish to avoid to narrow roads without sidewalks, you have three choices: stay right in the town and put up with the noise, rent a car (if you can stomach the driving), or of course avoid the Greek islands!!

Reviewed June 23, 2010

My husband and I just came back from a 4 day trip to Mykonos. We stayed at the Hotel Tagoo. While we found the location very convenient, I have to say that we were underwhelmed by the warmth of the hotel. To be frank, we decided to stay at this hotel based on the reviews that we had read online. It sounded like we were going to feel part of a big new family. I am sure our expectations were too high. We were reminded constantly that we were staying in a budget hotel by Anna, the owner. Her first night orientation felt like a lecture in some ways. She seemed annoyed to be giving it (and who can blame her? She does the same song and dance every night!) and we felt that we could have just as easily asked questions during her reception hours. Because we spent less on the hotel, we felt good about paying for a rental car and eating at some more costly restaurants for dinners (afterall, it was our honeymoon). Anna really shamed a fellow traveler over breakfast one morning for eating at the Sushi Nobu restaurant the night before....reminding us that this was a BUDGET hotel for Budget travelers. People make their choices for all sorts of reasons though and it felt strange that she was calling out another guest for her dinner choice in such a public way. Anna was nice enough but nobody (other than Jimmy) was really warm. We accidentally slept through the Greek Night evening one night and we received a phone call to wake us up and come. By the time we got dressed it was over, which was fine. We were exhausted. Still, we felt terrible, like we insulted Anna, that we didn't come. Having optional activities is wonderful - but the guests should feel that they are optional. I also couldn't help but feel like it was an insult to her when she brought up at breakfast the next morning that there weren't many people at Greek night the night before. Lastly, as a tourist, we expect to fall into certain tourist traps....like paying a little more for a drink to see an amazing sunset. We own a home in Costa Rica in Manuel Antonio and after all of these years, we usually just have a drink on our own deck but I always recommend certain restaurants with really spectacular views of the sunset from other angles. It is expected that a tourist would pay a little more for the view.

9  Thank snraridiculosa
Reviewed June 22, 2010

My friend and I stayed at Hotel Tagoo from 6/13/10-6/16/10. All in all, we thought it was ok. The transfers to and from the port were greatly appreciated, and the pool area, albeit small, is very pretty and overlooks the water. The rooms are very basic, but they are clean, have strong water pressure and warm water, solid air conditioning, and the best hair dryer we used on our travels (an important point for two female travelers). :)

It's a pretty steep walk up the hill to the hotel - approximately 8 minutes down and 10 minutes up. It wasn't exactly our favorite, as you need to squeeze up against the wall when cars zip by. I can't put my finger on it, but something just seemed a little off during our visit and we never felt completely comfortable at the hotel.

All in all, if you're looking for a budget hotel that's relatively close to town, this may be a perfect pick for you. Next time, I would pay more money and stay at a little fancier hotel closer to town.

3  Thank B.G._Chicago
Reviewed June 20, 2010

This was my second trip to the Hotel Tagoo. And like the first time I visited, Anna, Yiannis and Jimmy made me feel welcome and at home. A return to the Hotel Tagoo is like seeing old friends again! I had room 11 this time, which a corner room, on the middle level of the hotel near the office. The room was large with a double bed, a patio with 2 chairs and a table overlooking the water, and a beautiful view. And of course, the room is very clean; Anna is a (self-admitted) clean freak. Because I was there before June 15, the cost was 85 Euro per night; very, very reasonable. This year, there were some new additions to the hotel. While Anna has always included breakfast in her room rates, she has added some hot items (scrambled eggs and little sausages) to her breakfast menu this year. There is now free wireless internet, and they have finished a wonderful new sun deck at the top level of the hotel, half of which is covered overhead with a screen should you wish to escape the strong sun. Like the last time, Anna does a welcome each night with new arrivals, and gives them good information about what to see, where to go, and where to eat. I'll be back again... Some day soon (hopefully).

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled solo
#20 of 82 in Mykonos Town
Mykonos Bay Hotel
Mykonos Bay Hotel
#7 of 82 in Mykonos Town

Been to Hotel Tagoo? Share your experiences!