“Too far from anywhere”

and 1 more site!
Villa Matina
Ranked #47 of 66 Mykonos Town B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 14, 2007

Lovely view and pool and a restaurant across the road. However 20 minutes walk up or down very steep hill or stairs (if you can find them on your way back) into town. Not near bus stop and taxis hard to find in Mykonos at night. Shower was less than a square metere with a broken rail and shower head was handheld making for very unpleasant and difficult showers. Room was clean and outside seating area nice but smelled of sewerage at times.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
3  Thank Michelle A

Reviewed February 2, 2006

I am from India. I lived at the Pension Matina during early October 2005. Location wise it is not very good unless you are hiring a buggy. One can see the sea front but it takes about 15 minutes to get down and you can forget climbing back , a cab is necessary. The room was spacious. There is an electric oven . There is not much in the form of staff but they r cordial and the rooms are well maintained.

5  Thank DrMrinmay
Reviewed January 11, 2006

We stayed at the Pension Matina in Aug 05 and had the absolute time of our lives. We were warmly welcomed by Yannis and his family and interacted fantastically with the staff (Anna, Helena and Martin especially). Amazing views, great location, excellent vibe with pumping trance and dance music all day by the pool whilst drinking the most amazing marharita's!.
We are already planning to go back in 2007 for a month.
After travelling around the world - this is my favourite place, this is the place my mind escapes to most and occassionally when i think about it, i can almost feel the hot sun on my shoulders........what a great lifestyle!!

• Stayed: August 2005
2  Thank wildfire975
A TripAdvisor Member
England
Reviewed March 19, 2005

We stayed at the Pension Matina five days this June,Our room was new,decent size and clean and the bathroom was nice and there was a in-room safe. We had a Balcony with nice view of Mykonos town and harbor.The pool area is nice and big.The location was so and so,cuse there was a downhill to follow so you can go to the center of the town but it isn't far,it's a 10 to 15 minutes walk.
We had a great time at Pension Matina.

• Stayed: June 2004
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed August 29, 2004

We stayed at the Pension Matina three days this July. Our room was new, nice, a decent size and clean. We had a very big porch (with furniture) with a nice view of Mykonos town and harbor. The bathroom was nice but the shower had no shower curtain. The pool area is also nice and big. Breakfast is not included and there is no in-room safe. The worst part about this place, however, is it's location. It is way up on top of a very steep hill from Mykonos town. There is a short cut (if you could find it...for pedestrians only) that goes straight up the hill but it is very steep, and dark at night. It's about a 10-15 minute hike and very tiring and annoying at 3am (suffering from inebriation) or 3pm (suffering from heat stroke & dehydration). Trying to catch a cab is next to impossible. I have nothing against Pension Matina except it's lofty location.

5  Thank worldtravellerLINY
Reviewed June 2, 2004

Stayed at Matina for 3 days last July. Was OK as hotels go. Pickup from the port (but they all do that), air conditioning, TV, ensuite facilities, good breakfasts, nice swimming pool... A bit expensive, but then, everything on Mykonos is.

The biggest drawback was the location. It is NOT in Mykonos town... it's up the hill and quite a walk, especially at 4am after a night of partying in the town. There's a path that's a bit more direct than taking the road, but it's full of steep climbs, rocks, and isn't so clearly marked. As a woman walking through alone, it made me a bit nervous.

I love Mykonos and I had no specific complaints about the Matina, but if I go back I'll definately look to stay closer to town.

3  Thank segacs
Reviewed April 13, 2004

The hotel is straight up the hill from the ferry dock--a steep climb not for anyone not in great shape. That said, taxis to and from the center of town are inexpensive. The rooms were clean and the bathrooms very nice and modern. There was an attractive pool area with a sunbathing deck and lovely view. I would definitely recommend it as a good buy, but the owner was VERY rude. I had no hot water on my first morning, and no power in the wall outlets, and when I went to talk to her about it, she made me feel that it was my fault. She refused to take my credit card, even though she had a card machine and obviously COULD have taken it--I had to pay cash. So, maybe she was just having a bad day--or maybe you get the rudeness along with the good bargain.