“Our favourite in Mykonos”
Review of Alkyon Hotel

Alkyon Hotel
Ranked #17 of 83 Hotels in Mykonos Town
Reviewed January 31, 2011

From start to finish, Sophia and her family are always incredibly welcoming and will do anything to help. Many of the rooms have been refurbished to a high standard in modern style making the Alkyon a real bargain and even the old ones are fine too. The rooms are cleaned every day and very well. Last Summer was our third stay here and we love the rooms, the peaceful pool and the town/ sea views from both of these are unbeatable even compared to sunset destinations like the Elysium. If you are new to Mykonos, arrival here will really take your breath away. One price to pay for the view is you are up a small hill from town but with short cuts you are less than 5 minutes from the top part of town and uphill is more challenging but normally once a day. Improvements have come recently with refurbs, excellent wifi and a good/better breakfast. My only request would be for stronger coffee and fresh not uht milk. Minor when you conisder everything else. Thanks again, we will be back very soon, John

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jpclondon

Reviewed January 25, 2011

I stayed here with my boyfriend in early June 2010. We hired a jeep so when leaving the airport we made our 10min drive to the hotel. Unfortunately the hotel had been to collect us from the airport but we had been unaware, oops!

The hotel is up the town of Mykonos town meaning the views over the town and sea are absolutely fabulous!!!! The poolside with rarely busy and everybody (staff and guests) were lovely. Sofia was very helpful, recommended restaurants, beaches and bars then took us to our room. We had quite a small basic room, with a small window so not much light in. But it was clean and equipped with a fridge and air con so it was sufficent. Other rooms had doors opening out so they could sit at the front of their rooms overlooking the view, unfortunately ours was at the back so we didnt have this but we could however still go to the front, which we did quite often and have a pre drink before going out. It was only literally walking 2metres out our room down a mini corridor so we could leave our doors open.

We didn't mind so much about the room as the hotel itself, and pool side was amazing, very peaceful. There was always sunbeds available for us too. Breakfast was nice - continental style buffet and a selection of meats too. It was on the terrace so made a lovely morning eating overlooking the sea and mykonos town.

Sunsets from the hotel were beautiful. The walk down to Mykonos town took about 10-15mins and was very steep and quite unlit at night so i wouldn't recommend for elderly travellers. I have trouble with my knee and this became a little annoying at time but it was a nice walk through the local parts of the town. We felt very safe.

I would recommend renting a car so that you can travel the island and see all the wonderful beaches. We rarely saw buses and the bestest beaches were quite isolated. We rented a jeep for about 40 euros a night and we travelled the whole island, going out everyday and probably didn't spend more than 35 euros on petrol the entire time.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank chartley87
Reviewed January 19, 2011

This lovely family hotel is located on top of a hill looking down into town. The views were absolutely amazing. I contacted the hotel about 8-9 months before my stay in September to ensure a balcony room facing the sea. I couldn't have been happier with my room. I find as a single female traveller, I often get one of the worst rooms in a hotel. That definitely wasn't the case with the Alkyon.

I appreciated the e-mail communication with Sophia before my trip, she was fast to respond and helpful with useful tips (info on ferries to other islands...). She arranged for a car to pick me up at the airport and then a drop off at the dock for my ferry. On my 2nd day there, I wished to take a 4 wheeler to the beach, Sophia arranged for a local rental company to pick me up at the hotel and bring me to their location. Sophia makes this hotel what it is. She's up from early in the morning and still working late in the evening. I was never disappointed in any of her restaurant suggestions. The breakfast is delicious and plentiful!

The walk into town is a little steep and it's not lit up (as I learned my first night there). Take caution when walking down into town. I decided to try the walk back up my first night there, it was exhausting and I got lost a few times. I would suggest waiting for a taxi, it's about 5 Euros to bring you up the hill. Confirm the price with Sophia so you don't get charged too much.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed January 4, 2011

I wanted to write in this site to express how pleased my friend and I were with Hotel Alkyon during our October stay in Mykonos.From the moment we set foot in the lobby until the time Sophia escorted us to our awaiting transportation, the personal touch of her and her team was so apparent.
The breakfasts were artfully presented in the bar and the hotel staff was always ready to fulfill any special requests for breakfast as well as for travel or touring needs.
The rooms were beautifully decorated with a minimalist appearance which accented the beautiful marble floors and surroundings of the veranda and pool.
What a lovely setting so peaceful and uplifting!Sitting on your own "acropolis" I felt I was at one of the ancient sites of Greece high above the harbour.
I hope one day to visit Hotel Alkyon and I will continue to recommend it to anyone who might be going to Mykonos!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank joelove
Reviewed November 2, 2010

We travelled as a couple + a single, and we stayed at the Alkyon for 4 nights in the middle of September 2010. From the booking stage through to the very end, the service was excellent and Sophia and her staff made us feel very welcome!
The location was perfect as it was peaceful and quiet, and yet so close to all the action down in Mykonos Town. We had an amazing view from the breakfast balcony and the pool area of the town and harbour, and we watched the spectacular sunset from the balcony with BYO drinks and snacks.

We’d booked one double and one single room, however they both had king size beds and were both extremely spacious and clean. Free wireless internet, great buffet breakfast and a fabulous pool area also added to our wonderful stay at the Alkyon!
Will definitely stay here again and would recommend this hotel to anyone travelling to Mykonos!!

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 1, 2010

We have just returned from an amazing and fabulous stay in Alkyon. Excellent family hotel. The owner Sofia was very kind, friendly and excellent host...awesome girl! The room had an AMAZING view to the city with and an UNFORGETTABLE sunset VIEW!! Great service, great breakfast(eggs, bacon, fresh bread, fruits, juice and more). With a WOW pool! Great location. Walking distance to most of the attractions in Mykonos( Beach, Nightlife, Little Venice). The rooms are excellent for 2 guest...comfy, hot water, A/C, super clean, LCD TV, FREE WIFI...IN YOUR ROOM!!! We Will definitely visit it again!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank giomaniac
Reviewed October 25, 2010

We have just returned from an amazing stay in Alkyon and miss it so much already.
It was my first stay there and I must say it was definitely worth it.
Everything was there to make our stay memorable.
The rooms are beautiful,comfortable, nicely decorated, the views from our balcony and the pool were breathtaking!
Sophia is an amazing host, always there to help with a big smile and make your stay wonderful.
The transfer service was waiting for us at the airport when we arrived at 06.30 a.m. and Sophia helped us to check in immediately without wasting time.
The women on the housekeeping make an excellent job and this is proved from the first moment you enter the hotel.It looks bright and shining!
Last but not least breakfast was served in our balcony every day!
I can not decribe how happy we are from the service and the hospitality of these people!
This is the best hotel ever! Enjoy!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple