“just had to go and see it”
Review of Giannoulaki Hotel

Giannoulaki Hotel
Ranked #72 of 82 Hotels in Mykonos Town
London
“just had to go and see it”
Reviewed September 18, 2005

I nearly stayed here on a package with Kosmar but was totally put off by the bad reviews. So we ended up flying schedule and finding our own accommodation. Whilst we were there I thought I would go and take a look at the Giannoulaki just to see what it really was like and these are my thoughts
Very pretty, nice little patio areas, All on different areas, wonderful pool, very clean, simple furnishings, no tackiness. There was a little church being hand painted inside right on the complex which was lovely. If I had gone on this holiday it would have cost me £340 for a week with accommodation and flight. Instead I paid £315 for the flight (not direct but via Athens) and £300 for our room making our holiday costs £615. I don't regret doing this as we stayed in the totally fabulous Rania Apartments in town but if you are on a budget the Giannoulaki is probably one of the nicest package deal apartments I have ever seen.
Downsides are: you are not in town for your evening entertainment so my advice would be to get a moped or one of these four wheeler scooters that look much safer. You are only 5 mins from the centre of town then and very close to all the beaches - I personally think it looked miserable waiting for busses and taxi's etc. there are no decent places to eat near the apartments you have to go into town. You are in the middle of nowhere but only 5 mins from all the busyness of Mykonos town and the beaches.
All in all it is well worth the money

• Stayed September 2005
2 Thank Beth3070

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Greek first
Reviewed September 18, 2005

I have just returned from a weeks stay at the Giannoulaki Village. I read the reviews before going so went with an open mind having travelled to the Greek Islands for the last 20 years and stayed on mykonos 5 times before. We found the accomodation spotlessly clean, very large and to a very high standard. We were in the new complex of studios so this may be why but apparantly the older studios by the pool are being done up this winter. The pool is spectacular and very clean. We found the family very helpful and they even ran us to a restaurant in the hotel minibus when we could not get a taxi, so if this is what others call rude and miserable then I have no problem with that!!! We were self catering so did not eat at the hotel apart from having breakfast on the last morning which was excellent. Our studios had a decent sized fridge and 2 cooker rings, all you need really when eating out is very reasonable. I can recommend 2 out of town restaurants, Blue Ginger Thai/Chinese is excellent and is advertised at the hotel. We went there twice and the owners Carol & Yiannis are very friendly. We also found a nice Italien in Ornos called Trattoria Soulatsis that has a great view and extremely nice food and good value. All in all I would definately go back and would recommend this hotel to anyone....Don`t take on board the other comments it seems there really is no pleasing some!!!

• Stayed September 2005
3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 10, 2004

Absolutely fantastic. I agree with the comments regarding Libra and when we visit again we will book directly. As for comments about the owners being "bad" - absolute rubbish!! they are extremely friendly and welcoming!!

2 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
uk leeds
Reviewed June 25, 2004

We stayed on a self catering basis our room was not good it was underneath the pool area was hot suffered from noise from a generator not good to spend time in .Which we did not . lucky we had a car to get out and about in.

• Stayed June 2004
1 Thank MickUkLeeds

Travelers are raving about these Mykonos Town hotels

Reviewed June 17, 2004

Having read the reviews i have to say I,m returning to the Giannoulaki in July 04 and very much looking forward to it...If it,s a beautiful pool,stunning veiw,and clean spacious apartments your looking for then its for you..In defence of the owners..they are very proud of what they have and want to maintain a high standard...to be fair..most of us staying there are Teletext junkies looking for a good deal..and i,m not sure you would find a much better one in Mykonos...if your looking for Sex in the pool,plate smashing greek nights,and Kareoke..FORGET IT..as was the case last year..with a lovely couple who decided trashing there apartment was part of the holiday experience..on that note anyone who,s going this summer..show a bit of respect for the owners and there hotel and you will have an amazing holiday

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Leicester, England
Reviewed January 12, 2004

The Owners of this scruffy complex with a beautiful pool were the most rude and vile creatures i have ever had the misfortune to come across.
The rooms are dark, dank and smelly, the sheets are damp, and don't ever asked for clean towels as the husband gets all threatening. The floor was constantly awash with black hairs and cigarette ash (though we don't smoke). I can honestly say that this is THE WORST PLACE to stay in Mykonos and I should know as I have been there many, many, times and stayed at much better places. I really feel very strongly about this Hovel as usually I don't write reviews, but our Rep from Libra Holidays was so concerned for our personal safety from the drunken abusive husband that she wanted us to stay somewhere else on the last night of our holiday!

8 Thank Chaywest
Reviewed September 28, 2003

Not long back from the Wedontlikeyou hotel in Mykonos. Situated equally as far away from town as the beach, the hotel is perfect for those wanting to see the 'real' Greece (ie a rundown area with scrapyard, caravan and lots of barking dogs). The owners seem to go out of their way to display the kind of welcome that typifies the inhabitants of this 'fun-loving' island. Humourless, greedy and totally regimented (the first thing Mykonians must learn when studying English must be the aggressive 'what?' or 'six euros' (the cost of a beer)), they're straight from the Fawlty school of hotellier charm. Mistakes we made early on were trying to put lager in the wrong glass and asking to start a bar bill. Pool deserves a mention, because it is big (although very few guests use it because the hotel is situated on the edge of a hill that gets the full blast of the cyclades wind). Bus service runs into town for those not wishing to risk their lives during the half hour walk down a badly lit road full of deranged scooter drivers. There is a very helpful sign with bus times on it, add 20 minutes to the stated times and you shouldn't wait any longer than an hour.

10 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
#40 of 82 in Mykonos Town
Loukas Pensions
Loukas Pensions
#76 of 82 in Mykonos Town

Been to Giannoulaki Hotel? Share your experiences!