“Chilled out relaxing stay”
Review of Giannoulaki Hotel

Giannoulaki Hotel
Ranked #66 of 82 Hotels in Mykonos Town
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
“Chilled out relaxing stay”
Reviewed August 2, 2012

Hotel located 1.5km out of town with local supermarkets / restaurants and petrol station within 3 minutes walk, found the hotel extremely clean, food was excellent stayed on a half board basis, really good sized pool with deep end, think the hotel has around 56 rooms. Staff very polite and friendly our waiter Nicholas could not do enough for us. If your going to Mykonos this is a very chic cosmopolitan island you wont see any football shirts or chavs here, you should hire car rather than mess about on buses the best beach in my opinion is Elia Beach, please don't pay much attention to the poor reviews there old and the hotel has obviously sorted out any problems it previously had. If you're planning to go out in Mykonos Town to eat dinner you should pack lots of money I would budget on £200-£300 per night for dinner drinks and clubbing per couple, I would recommend this hotel as a good base to explore the island and a good nights sleep. Bakery at Ano Mera on main road to Elia beach on the right does wonderful fresh baguettes and cakes.

Room Tip: lower number rooms closer to reception, ask for first floor if your ok with stairs
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TravellerFox007

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 30, 2012

I have recently returned from this hotel, and must say that I thoroughly enjoyed my stay there. I was somewhat apprehensive at first after reading some of the mixed reviews on here, but the hotel more than exceeded my expectations in the end.
Location: This hotel is situated well out of the main town, probably a good twenty five minute walk into town down some very hectic roads (we never braved it as we had a car). Car or bike hire is a must if you stay here, this will really give you the opportunity to thoroughly explore the island and it's various beaches. Car hire is quite reasonably priced, and there are many throughout the island. Very quiet on an evening, I slept like a log every night!
Room: I think we may have been allocated one of the smaller rooms, but it was more than adequate. It had a bath with shower, hair drier, a small balcony (all rooms have various size balcony / terrace), a small tv (only received 1 English channel though; BBC News), as well as a fridge with an ice making section. My only slight complaint is that we were only provided with two small glasses in the bathroom (which we were already using for our toothbrushes). We therefore had to go to the bar and ask for some more glasses for drinks in the room. Also, I was surprised that there was no cutlery or plates in the room what so ever, so making our own snacks in the room was our of the question. Strange really as the room contained a fridge, lots of empty cupboards as well as a kitchen worktop and sink. So take your own camping plates and cutlery if you intend on making your own snacks. Beds were fairly comfy, with extra blankets in the cupboard. A digital safe also provided in the room, as well as air con. Room service is available if you wish. Beds were made and clean towels provided every day!
Food: Breakfast was the same every morning, so if you have your favorite cereals, take a pack with you from home. Breakfast consisted of cereals, ham and cheese, cold boiled egg, mini frankfurters, toast, tea, coffee and orange juice. From 7:30 am - 10 am.
Evening meal was outstanding. We went half board, and were the only customers on this basis, so we were treated very well. Every evening we had a huge 3 course dinner, with a massive salad (different every night) as well as hot breads. Food was traditional Greek cuisine; the portions were gargantuan! It was a shame really though that every night, the restaurant was very quiet, often we would be the only guests dining. Not sure why this was the case, maybe the restaurant needs to advertise some more.
During the daytime the restaurant served snacks and drinks (the milkshakes are outstanding), which were typical Mykonian prices.
Staff and Service: I am surprised at some of the earlier reviews who say that they had problems with the staff, as during our stay the service was exceptional. All of the staff always smiled and greeted us, and spoke very good English. We had many nice chats with the restaurant staff, as well as the owners who were all lovely and very welcoming.
Facilities: Despite being fully booked, the hotel always seemed very quiet. The pool is very large with a deep end. Also a non heated Jacuzzi. No struggle to get a sun bed; the pool area was always empty! There is a small gym, however you had to pay 5 euros per session to use this. I was somewhat disappointed by this being a gym addict and thought this was a bit skanky, so in the end I had a week off the gym.
There is wifi at the pool area, as well as a room with two computers, however both these luxuries are charged for. Again, I feel this is a bit money grabbing.
Not really anything for kids to do, however in my opinion Mykonos isn't really the place to bring young children or babies. It's mostly older gay men, couples and clubbers who holiday at Mykonos. If you want somewhere with a kids club, Mykonos is not the place.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank deadrising
Palm Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 9, 2012

Booked this hotel based on reveiws and what rooms looked liked. However photos are deceiving. There for of us in different rooms all of which I booked at the same time in same gategory. Two rooms were very spacious and seemed to be booked accordingly, my room was rather small and when I asked why the others had larger rooms I was given some excuse about when the rooms were booked I said I booked them at the same time. I asked for a larger room and was declined. Yet one of our rooms was upgraded to a suite with a full kitchen. The beds are very hard and made for uncomfortable sleeping. No mattress pad is used just a thin sheet which is the saem sheet you seep on so not very hygenic. The towels are old and hard and coming apart. I can say that the rooms are decorated ver nicely and modern. The view from the pool is fabulous. Breakfast was lacking a bit as far a variety very limited. We ate there for lunch and dinner and the food was good. There is never any one at the front desk, you have to go upstaires to the pool to get help. Yet when it's time to check out they are right at the desk making sure you pay your room charges and turn in keys. I emailed the hotel 4 times before arrival with no response and finally had to call to ask about a transfer from the ferry port. I was told it was easiest to just get a taxi at the port. This is not easy. There are only 30 taxis on the island. 2 were there when the ferry arrived and we waited 20 minutes for a taxi. I suggest pre booking a private transfer. To get to Mykonos town from the hotel there is a bus which runs in front of the hotel for 1.60 Euro each way. However if there are a few of you take a taxi for 5-8 Euro each way.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank tvlgrl11
Perth, Australia
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel for 8nights in July 2012 and had a fantastic experience. The pool and bar service was really good. Our room wasn't near the pool however it was massive (appartment size) and we were really happy with it. Only small fault with the room was the shower curtain! The bathroom floor was flooded daily after our showers. The music and food by the pool were absolutely amazing! Our experience with the hotel staff was great they accommodated us and spoke really good English. Walking distance from town (15mins) and close to psarrou beach which is beautiful.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Emma H
Italy
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We've just returned from a 3-night stay here. I'm glad we came, though I'm still debating about whether we will return the next time we come to Mykonos. It was a mixed experience... On the plus side, The food/restaurant was the BEST we had in Mykonos. Seriously! Delicious, well-presented, fresh & great quality. The restaurant service was excellent and friendly as well. The pool is simply gorgeous, particularly in the evenings and at sunset. Wow.
Also, all things considered, the price we paid through Hotelopia was a steal. So, major plusses on food, restaurant service and pool views, and price.

The accommodations that we had were a little sketchy though. I understand there are a few different styles of rooms, and I suppose we got the lowest-rated one from the online deal we found. When we checked in, it was dusty, with old, worn furnishings, tiny bathroom, no wifi access, and flies/bugs throughout. It was less than impressive and I couldn't imagine how this could be part of a 4star hotel. We complained right away, and were courteously given another suite, which was larger and had wifi access, and was slightly better furnished. It still felt very dated though, chipped paint, the bathroom was small with a very old, unclear mirror and no tub [very challenging for bathing a toddler!], the television was microscopic and high on the wall so it was difficult to watch. There was a large full kitchen as part of the room, but it was completely unequipped so it wouldn't have been possible to even boil water if we wanted to.
The room in general was inconsistent with the presentation of the rest of the hotel- the reception area, pool and restaurant are all quite sharp and modern. Still, it was spacious and quiet. & I did noticed that on our wing there were other rooms that were much more 'in vogue'.
There are some inconsistencies with how the hotel was advertised online- in that there is 1 pool only [with an area that is a bit shallower for children, but still too deep for my toddler to splash freely], there is 1 restaurant that has an indoor/outdoor area with a cafe corner, and quite a disparity between the rooms.

We did find the family, especially the mother and daughter, to be kind and accommodating when we had requests.

This hotel has the potential to truly be fantastic with a little more update to the rooms. I would also love to see them provide a few family-friendly amenities, like a play area for kids and a kids menu. And if they were to provide a shuttle once or twice a day to the beach & town center, I would definitely return and make it my regular stay when we come to Mykonos for business OR pleasure.
In any case, whether we stay there or not in the future, we will definitely come back to eat at the restaurant- it was that good!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank JMCCS
Athens, Greece
Reviewed May 18, 2012

There was a really Decent Staying ! cant wait to be there again this year we hope so !!!!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank SouzyNorstar
Paris, France
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We've been to this hotel in July 2010 with my boyfriend.
Good points: the rooms are clean and quite big (we were next to the swimming-pool). You are not very far from a lot of Mykonos attractions (by car): Hora but also beaches (Ornos, Platys Yalos, Panormos, Paradise and Super Paradise) and there's a supermarket next door. Nice views on Ornos bay. The bar has got nice cocktails and smoothies. The swimming-pool is nice. You can get good prices for this hotel, even in peak season.
Bad points: the owners are not very friendly and helpful: you'll hardly find anybody at the reception and you may not get another room if yours does not suit you! (you can find help at the bar, though) - and it's not a problem of language as they speak English quite currently as I do. The breakfast is not great (but I only had it once as I get up too late). The swimming-pool is exposed to the wind (and Mykonos is extremely windy!). The chambermaids aren't Greek, generally, and don't speak English or French or Spanish (difficult to ask them anything, even toilet paper) but Giannoulaki is not an exception for that in Mykonos...
Overall, I would say that I enjoyed my stay there and might go there again: you won't get a nice little chat with the staff (apart from the barman and the waiters - all very kind) but nobody bothers you either and the place is at short distance of everything if you've got a car (which I highly recommend for Mykonos). As for Mykonos: go there! It's too expensive but wicked, lovely, great! I LOVE MYKONOS!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
#23 of 82 in Mykonos Town
Vienoula's Garden
Vienoula's Garden
#10 of 82 in Mykonos Town

Been to Giannoulaki Hotel? Share your experiences!