“Boutique Hotel in the sun”

Apollonia Hotel & Resort
Ranked #54 of 82 Hotels in Mykonos Town
Redhill, United Kingdom
“Boutique Hotel in the sun”
Reviewed July 1, 2014

TRANSFER
On arriving at Mykomos airport, we had to wait a while for the Transfer to the Hotel, but once on our way the journey was very short.
HOTEL
We had help with our suitcases, much needed as the hotel is on a slope. We were given, we think one of their best rooms, we booked a deluxe Jacuzzi twin, bed and breakfast, the balcony was very big, the room furniture quite basic and the shower was not very powerful but it did the job. The Jacuzzi was broken, so the hotel offered us half board as compensation, which was very good of them. Beds were comfortable, cleaned every day, Beach towels are provided by the hotel, so no need to pack one. The pool area is quite quiet, the pool was so warm, very clean, only a certain number of sun loungers around the pool, not enough if everyone wanted to chill there. They do not seem to have bar service around the pool, or food, this would earn them much more if they did, there is a bar but it is empty and you have to go to the inside bar to order drinks. Many holiday makers said they would have bought more drinks and bought food if it was available by the pool. All the staff at the reception area, were very very helpful, and the ladies very beautiful.
FOOD
I have dietary requirements due to health and allergies, the breakfast staff were very helpful in assisting me with my food, they even made fresh smoothies for me, thank you all.
Dinner was a little more challenging as there was not always fish available, the portions are very very large, a starter looks light a large main course. The waiter did at times have "Basil Faulty" traits, which was amusing, especially if certain food was off the menu, but overall they tried there best to come up with a dish I could eat. Room service is available too, so if you have a balcony with such a beautiful view of the sea then you have to do room service at least once. They do need some hanging facility on the balcony to dry off swimwear and beach towels.
BEACHES
The local beach is a couple of minutes walk across the road and down the hill, it is more rocky than sandy, the sea is hard to get into in some areas due to slippery rocks but there are sandbags in one area to walk on the get past these. Lovely sun loungers, at a price of course but work paying if you are chilling all day. Hippie fish is the restaurant on the beach, you can eat and/or drink day and night there, it is lovely. We travelled to most of the beaches on the island, there is something for everyone, For the Gay, young, loud and roundy crowd, Super Paradise and Paradise, for seclusion the beaches North of the island, we loved Panormas, as it had very large cushions as sun loungers, umbrellas and a table, which you do not pay for if you order drinks and or food, plus the waiting staff, male and female are very hot, eye candy for everyone.
LOCATION
there are not many restaurants to eat locally without renting a car/quad/bike, Mykonos town is about 4K away, worth a visit. The streets are full of delightful shops, bars, cafes, etc, too much to see in one night so worth arranging travel for minimum of 3 days. There is a Pelican, yes a Pelican that walks the streets of Mykonos, famous for it, he appears in some of the small restaurants, amazing sight. there are lots of wild cats on the island, they do seem to look after their cats, but unfortunately many get run over from the busy roads :( We saw some adorable kittens with their mother at the local mini market.
A very relaxing holiday with my best friend, but this is also a great hotel for couples as set in a romantic location. Mykonos town is very Gay, which was great for me as I am married so had no unwanted male attention. Different months brings differrent types of people. Must take my husband there now.

Room Tip: Room 304 Delux sea view, biggest balcony, excellent view
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
mumbai
Reviewed June 13, 2014 via mobile

Please dont use this hotel. Sleeping on the street is better then sleeping in this hotel. They dont understand basic english words . Most of the rooms lacks basic amneties. Go to the hotel if you ruin your holiday. I dont mind sleeping on the beach for the remaining nights. Lousy lousy customer service. Its not even a 3star forget their self proclaimed 5star

• Stayed June 2014
5 Thank mrj20mrj20
Reviewed June 11, 2014 via mobile

Lacking in SERVICE (other than the sweet lady, Maria, who works at the bar counter and sometimes during breakfast at the restaurant). Contrary to the description on its website, It's also lacking in many other hotel necessities such as complimentary water and bedroom slippers in the very basic room.

When asked for the restaurant menu, a gentlemen replied, "what do you want? We don't have a menu, but we have all types of pasta, chicken, steak, seafood..." It makes it inconvenient for guests to come up with their own food list.

Overall, we thought the only positive point to this hotel is its great sea view (which is a given in most hotels in the area) and Maria who's mentioned above.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Heysoek
Graz, Austria
Reviewed June 1, 2014

We got a room with a shared terrace and room door to another room, they simply separated a 2-bedroom suite into two rooms, meaning you could hear almost anything through the wall. After complaining we were promised to change the room the next day, which was a very roomy suite, but was a smoking room, which they denied ("the smoke its from the outside..."). Day 3: we pleased to change the smoky curtains, which they did, there was a aunts invasion in the evening in the bathroom. We called the house keeper, who sprayed toxic without removing the dead animals in the poisened bathroom. Is that what you expect from a 4-star hotel? As we could not use the bathroom we had to check in at another hotel for the night. On the last day we had ordered a transfer to the airport which was 40 min late ("please be more patient, the flights are on delay anyway..." - which was not true, the flight was on time, which we found out later). Tough the location is great in mykonos, this hotel cannot be recommended. Apart from our experience there we heard several guest complaining about cold water, construction noise at 8.30 am...

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Karolina132
Reviewed May 27, 2014

It was great 3 nights.. first of all I have booked a room with jacuuzi.. but when I said that it is my honeymoon.. they upgraded it to a suite with sauna.. the location is great.. quiet and calm atmosphere.. food is great.. the only thing is the bugs and ants.. they are everywhere here.. the hotel is so clean and the staff are great.. recommend this resort for vacation and honeymoon too..

• Stayed May 2014
1 Thank Mohammed A
Belgrade, Serbia
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I stayed in Apollonia Hotel in Mykonos with the group of 6 friends as my guests for 2-3 days beginning of August and it was generally pleasant experience. Expensive but decent rooms, food and friendly staff, which I was familiar with due to my previous stay at the hotel. At the check-out my AMEX card could not be charged for an unknown reason so I was informed that I will be charged from another property of the same owner, which sounded OK to me. After a month I have received the bank statement with the same amount charged twice - actually from both properties! Since early September I am trying to refund the amount of close to 2.500 EUR on my credit card with no success. I left my contacts to the reception staff numerous times with no answer. I spoke once to the Manager/Owner, certain Mr. Michalis who blamed it on the staff and promised quick solution, but after that stopped taking my calls. Early October I have received an email from the accountant, Mr. Stavros Papargyriou, who asked for my credit card details in order to execute the refund, which he never did. Now, nobody is answering emails or telephone, due to the end of the season, so I guess I will have to find legal ways to get my money back. I started to believe that this is actually a scheme which a lot of people do not really recognize or is too complicated to pursue.

Room Tip: Rooms that you pay only with cash, no credit cards!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Dejan R
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed September 24, 2013

My best friend and I stayed at Apollonia Hotel&Resort in Mykonos from July the 3rd until the 8th, 2013. Being myself a student from a hospitality school in Switzerland, I have to say that this hotel is simply magical. The view is breath taking, the pool is very clean, fresh and beautiful, the food of the restaurant is delicious and trust me, there is nothing greater than eating, swimming and enjoying the sun from on of the hotel's hammac, while looking at a paradisiac and peaceful view. The only negative point is that there is no WIFI in the rooms, but being on holidays, means no need of phone and emails! Otherwise, Amazing staff and service, great location and we surely will come again very soon! :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends