“Spectacular views, superb staff, relaxing and comfortable”

Tharroe of Mykonos Hotel
Ranked #27 of 82 Hotels in Mykonos Town
London, United Kingdom
“Spectacular views, superb staff, relaxing and comfortable”
Reviewed October 23, 2013

My partner and I stayed here in late September. All the staff were superb, from Mario, the driver who ferried us to/from the airport, the concierge who handled our baggage, Christine on the front desk, Adonis the Manager, Christina, Ioannis and Maria in the bar, the chef (who we unfortunately didn't meet) and the room maids, they were all friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
Remember this is a hotel on a tiny Greek Island and not like a 5-star in London, New York or Dubai, but we thought our room on the 1st floor in the annexe to the side of the main building was adequate, had a very comfortable bed and a great view of the sea. And it was kept immaculately clean. Why complain about a bit of paint on the skirting, grout on the tiles and dried plants in pots? And why do people complain about Greek tv programmes on a Greek Island and no wi-fi (there is actually), especially on a honeymoon! I can think of better things to do.
Anyway, we loved the champagne served by the pool when we arrived and the spectaular views. We were served beers, wine and cocktails throughout the day whenever we asked. The food at breakfast, lunch and dinner was well presented, tasty and fresh. I sat on a sunbed in the shade most of the day and had a dip in the naturally heated pool (yes it felt cold, but refreshing). The hot tub was fine and it was cleaned while we stayed there.
The gym isn't extensive but spa treatments are available if you want them.
We really enjoyed our stay and would return. We came home feeling really chilled out and refreshed and all thanks to the staff at Tharroe.

1 Thank Brian C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Greek first
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 15, 2013

my husband and I stayed here for three nights on our honeymoon. The views from the pool/restaurant area and from our balcony were spectacular. The decor has a very modern artsy vibe about it. All of the staff was very friendly and helpful and made excellent suggestions on how to spend the one full day that we had there. We were easily able to walk into Myconos town for dinner and shopping and there is a convienience store accross the street to get some stuff to keep in the fridge in your room. The only negatives that we had were that a couple of times it took the shower awhile to get hot, and the hot tub never actually got above luke warm. Another positive for us was that after a long day of sun, sightseeing, food, and drinks we felt like relaxing in the room for the night. There was a dvd player in our room, and they have a ton of movies at the front desk to choose from and bring back to your room.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We traveled to Mykonos to stay at the Tharroe of Mykonos Hotel on the 12th September 2013 for 1 week to celebrate our honeymoon after just getting married. We booked a package deal through expedia.

We booked a standard sea view room but as requested we were upgraded to a classic sea view room which we were told had a jet jacuzzi bath tub in. On arrival we were given a glass of flat champagne which was served in a plastic glass and were left waiting in the restaurant area for over an hour to get into our room with no update on when we would be able to enter our room or even shown or told about facilities in the hotel.

When we entered our room we were not very happy as they do not look anything like they do on the website. They were quite cramped with not very nice decor and the jet jacuzzi bath tub didn't even work. There was also mould inside the shower cubicle. The tvs didnt work they were fuzzy and jumpy and it was all greek channels.

We decided to give the hotel a chance and see how it went from there. We went for a stroll into the town and came back a bit later that afternoon but as it was quite late we didn't spend much time around the pool that day.

We woke up the next morning and decided to spend the day around the hotel pool. Breakfast was a buffet with stale bread sticks and cheese, ham, croissants toast, cereal with warm milk and rotting fruit and warm tomatoes. We ended up just having toast and some cheese. There were no parasols around the pool area next to the sunbeds and as I cannot sit in the sun all day I would have to sit at the opposite end of the pool area to my husband on seats which were not always available as other people were using them. I also did not want to spend half the day sat away from my husband on our honeymoon. There was no service around the pool area we were not once offered a drink so had to keep getting up to order our drinks. The menu for the day was the same menu for the dinner which was starters mains and desserts. There were glasses left around the pool all day and ash trays not emptied from the day before. They had three ash trays in the whole hotel so people had to share them when having a cigarette around the pool area. The pool was absolutely freezing and unbearable to swim in.

There were no tea or coffee facilities in the rooms and if you wanted to order a coffee in the morning then you had to call reception and as there wasn't always someone there we would have to wait maybe 20 mins or more for a coffee and keep calling until someone answered.

There was no 24 hour room service and they stopped serving food at 10.30pm. Drinks until 1am.

We decided to go out that evening as the hotel was so uninviting.

We woke up in the morning and headed down stairs to look at there gym facilties and spa. There was no spa at all and the gym was a room with a few weights and a couple of exercise machines with one working light that was hanging out of the ceiling and there was no air con in there.

We then moved to the pool area and asked someone to bring us two regular cokes only to be told that they had ran out of regular coke and only had diet and we also found out that they only had one type of white wine left in the whole hotel. My husband had to walk to the shop and buy some regular coke no one offered to rectify this or had an explanation as to why there was none available.

It really was the last straw for me so I decided to complain about the whole experience. I went to front desk where a lady called Christina who was front of house was. She advised me the manager would not be back until 11am the next day and the owner wasn't around either. I complained to her about all of the above and she was very unhelpful and said that its the way it is here and if I would like shade then I should sit in the shaded area. She was quite rude about it. This is when I called expedia and spoke with Hemant. He advised me that he had passed on the complaint to the front of house and as the manager wasn't around until the next morning there was nothing we could be helped with.

I had a call from Adonis the manager about an hour later and he said he was aware of the complaints and he would try to rectify this by upgrading us to a better room. He said this couldn't be done until he arrived in the morning but I advised him I wasn't going to be spending the morning waiting for him to arrive as we didn't want to spend any time around the pool area the next day. About another hour or so later Christina found us and asked if we would like to choose which room to be changed to. The first room was a deluxe room which was a little bigger than the one we were already in and had a foul sulfur smell throughout the room so we immediately said no. She then showed us the honeymoon suite which was bigger and had a jacuzzi hot tub in it again this had nothing special to it. Horrible dated decor and there wasn't anything luxurious about this room at all. The tv in this room also didnt work again with fuzzy bad picture and only greek tv none of the other channels worked. We took this room as it was late in the afternoon and we had a reservation for dinner somewhere so we had to pack all our stuff then unpack and start to get ready for our evening and as Adonis or the owner wasn't around we had to wait to see Adonis the next morning.

We also decided to try out the hot tub. We filled it up and when we turned it on it sounded like an aeroplane was in the room it was so loud. We have a video of this if you require it.

The next morning I went to front desk at 11 to speak with Adonis as arranged the day before. I was told by concierge he would be 2 mins. Half an hour later we were still waiting by reception and were listening to Adonis screaming at his housekeeping staff in a meeting in his office. Every customer could here the arguments and screeching from the reception. We asked the concierge how long he would be and he said he didn't know so we decided to wait by the pool area for him. He eventually turned up and we had a chat with him about the whole experience. We told him about the non exsistent service around the pool area, the houskeppers had left dirty glasses in our rooms for two days, there were dirty sheets, an old dated hair dryer and a hot tub that generated the most horrific sound. We also complained about the freezing cold pool, lack of food options, running out of wine. He advised that it was no smoking hotel which is why thay only had three ashrays yet we were offered a smoking or non smoking room on booking the hotel? We advised him that we were not happy with the hotel and would like a refund as it was false advertisement. There is not spa facilities as advertised on both the hotels website and Expedias website which is something we looked for when booking a hotel for our honeymoon. This is false advertisement.

It also says on the hotel website that they offer wine tasting evenings, chefs cooking in front of you, possible romantic dinners sat outside or in an area of your choice. We were never once offered this and we would have been happy to pay for it. The chef was not seen or heard of once in the hotel and we only found out on day three of our stay at the hotel that we could have cooked eggs for breakfast but it would be a 15 minute wait (more like 20 min wait). The Barborossa bar that is advertised is not in use and is a fake bar. Its dusty with a filthy sink behind it and isn't used.

Once again a day was wasted complaining to the hotel and we yet again had a reservation booked for dinner that evening (out of the hotel).

The next day Hemant (expedia) rang me and advised me that he had spoken with Adonis and our compensation was the upgrade to the suite. I advised him that this wasn't the case and that we had advised Adonis we wanted a refund as we were not happy and he said he would get back to us. Hemant said we could check out and go to another hotel but we only had a few days left and didnt have any transport to find another hotel and didnt want to waste another day of our honeymoon running and waiting aorund as we had been doing at this hotel.

We had no other contact from Adonis since that day we spoke to him and there was no improvement around the pool area. There were still dirty ashtrays from the nights before lying around and no service around the pool. Our rooms still had dirty glasses left in them and they even took the complimentary bathrobes out the room that we were meant to use for our stay.

On our last evening we arrived back to the hotel at around 12.30am to find a cheap bottle of wine sitting there and a letter from the owner called Olga who was away on business offering us 3 nights free at the hotel at a later date. Of course we would decline this offer as you couldn't pay us to stay there ever again. My husband went to the front desk to look for the manager and was told that the other owner was sitting in the restaurant area. He politely approached him and advised him that he wouldn't be taking them up on the offer of the three nights stay and that we would like a refund only to be told by the owner that "i do not get involved in this stuff and its nothing to do with me' He was very dismissive and wasn't interested in what my husband had to say at all.

We were so happy to be checking out the next day. I would like to add that we spent nearly every day out of the hotel as it was such a terrible experience there.

I have attached photos of the gym area (more like a dungeon with lights hanging out of the ceiling which is also dangerous). I have also attached photos of the curtains that were so long you could trip over them, the dated furniture, bent head boards, dark uninviting rooms with terrible lighting and pictures of the drab and dreary reception, lobby and breakfast area. We requested that the music be changed around the pool area as it was the same 15 songs everyday from morning until evening. So they decided to put on hard trance music on repeat instead. Adonis advised that they do not provide parasols around the pool area as Mykonos is very windy but we could clearly see other hotels online with parasols and even the beaches had parasols. There is no excuse for this. I would also like to add that there wifi hardly ever worked and my husband would need to use this now again for business purposes and had to run around the hotel finding a good reception and one evening when I requested a pair of scissors I was told I had to come and get them from reception. I advised them that I wasn't dressed and was responded to with a rude manner because I wanted the sent to the room.

Expedia and the hotel has rated this as a 5 star and I must admit the view is 5 star but the rooms, hotel amenities and service is nothing but a 3 star or less. It is being completely falsely advertised and how you can say there are all these available facilities such as a spa when there actually isn't is disgusting.

This was advertised as a luxury accommodation and it was meant to be memorable in particular as we were celebrating our honeymoon and it has been a complete disaster and ruined our holiday. If we were staying there for two weeks then we would have definitely checked out but as we were only there a week and where offered no option of how to get to another hotel or know of other hotels and we thought it would be such a headache and take up a lot of our time on our honeymoon so we instead decided to spend our days out of the hotel. Luckily we didn't book this for two weeks the only reason for this as we have a toddler at home so coudlnt leave her for so long. I would also like to add that we booked a 5 star accommodation expecting to be waited on as we have so in every other 5 star hotel we have stayed in and do not expect to run around as if we were at home.

We are asking expedia for a full refund on the hotel as it has been advertised as something it is not and ruined our honeymoon.

Room Tip: rooms are terrible
7 Thank Rose6223
Olga P, Owner at Tharroe of Mykonos Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
To my opinion travelers who are reading reviews on Trip Advisor are experts on understanding the true meaning and the intention behind a review.
It is true that when you said to our reception that you were not happy with your room, the Front office manager Adonis, offered you free upgrade to a Honeymoon Suite, complimentary dinner and we did our best to keep you happy. I personally offered you a voucher for your next holidays. You contacted Expedia and asked to be refunded due to the fact that you still were not happy. We agreed with Expedia to transfer you to ANY OTHER HOTEL OF YOUR CHOICE, ON OUR EXPENSES!! But no! You insisted to STAY for all the rest of 4 nights (on a total of 7 nights stay) in our hotel and to be refunded at the same time!! It was a matter of principle for us, not to consent to this absurd demand of yours! It is common sense that a client who is not happy with his stay, leaves immediately, especially when is offered the option to stay at ANY OTHER DELUXE HOTEL at no extra cost!
Tharroe of Mykonos is a family owned Hotel. We built it and run it for 16 years now.
We feel proud for the level of services and facilities we offer and the total number of happy guests! I apologize to all of the readers of Trip Advisor, but this time I don’t feel that I have to give a more detailed answer.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 9, 2013

THIS IS A DISGRACE TO ALL OTHER 5 STAR HOTELS

We paid 1700+ euro for a 7 night holiday and they offered me 500 euro compensation I refused and I am dealing with this via my credit card company !

The Hotel
Dead or Dying plants within the hotel all over.
Rubbish in plant pots and on the floor of the hotel
Dirty Floors Tiles (looks like they had not been mopped for weeks
Dirty decking to the bar and pool areas
Badly maintained pool bar which was actually closed
Rips in pool furniture
Marks walls all over the hotel
Dirty Glass door and windows
Dusty Furniture
VERY DIRTY SOFAS (inside and outside)
Broken or Turned off Lift (Fire Extinguishes Blocking Doors)

Bathroom
Scratch Door Handle
Cracks in Walls
Paint over Tiles
Badly fitted Tiles
Hair on the bathroom floor
Marked Mirror
Tile Grout ALL over tiles

The Room
Curtains all over the floor miles too long
Poor a tired looking bed
Very Plain and uninviting NO plants
Worn a tatty bedroom furniture
Box of tissues just in a box and only 2 tissues.
Flooring not fitted very well (This was new we were told)
TV Cables & Wires all over the place
Dirty Light Switches
Paint all over light switches and skirting boards

Gardens / View
Dead and uncared for gardens
Obviously no operational watering systems
Weeds growing in pots better than the plants
Weeds growing on the car park
Looses and broken lighting all over the site.
Planters with no plants in them at all
Hotel Rubbish thrown over the border walls
(ie fire extinguishers / garden rubbish)
Views of a Motor Bike Storage Yard
Very loud barking chained up dog outside our room
Garden Plants Poor Condition NO Greenery as per website pictures
People discarded clothes Pants & T Shirt below are balcony
Piles of rubbish right outside the main entrance to the hotel

Breakfast
I have been to America 4x
I have never seen an american breakfast like this.
7th Aug Breakfast was OK (1st Hotel)
8th Aug I skipped breakfast completely
9th Aug I was so shocked I went out for breakfast.
10th Aug Same bad food.

Jacuzzi
Bubbling Dirty Grease covered mess.
I did not see anyone in the Jacuzzi on the 8th or 9th
Headrests dirty
Water Dirty
DISGUSTING !

Other Point
Limited Staff as poolside
Only 1 Bar open and limited service
Hotel Kitchen was closed due to broken kitchen equipment
(So we were told evening of the 8th)
No Turn Down Service
Poor Gym

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank JonathanQ
Olga P, Manager at Tharroe of Mykonos Hotel, responded to this review, October 14, 2013
Dear Mr. Jonathan Q,

You originally booked one week in August 2013.
Not before the 4th day of your stay, you clarified that you wish to leave the Island for personal reasons!
Unfortunately, you decided to combine this personal decision to leave the island with the pursuit to achieve full refund from the hotel.

Despite the fact your reservation was "fully prepaid, non-refundable rate" (which is the best available rate online with very strict terms & conditions), you were offered a partial refund as a “good will” gesture from our side.

You declined this offer and you stated that you will quote a full refund via your credit card issuer. You specified to us that in case you fail getting any refund this way, you would harm the hotel’s fame and reputation.

We feel sorry that you did not enjoy your holidays with us and at the same time we feel sorry that you decided to turn against the Hotel.

Regarding all issues you mentioned in your comment, we prefer to leave other guests of Tharroe of Mykonos to evaluate their accuracy. We would like only to refer to some of them:

a. You took photos of all our neighbours’ properties: The dog, the little warehouse, the parking, the photo with the ladder and the fire distinguishers, all belong to our neighbourhood, yes, but not to the Hotel’s property. You obviously forget that Mykonos is a traditional village with real villagers who give the natural “folklore” on the island and not just a fake scenic of touristic constructions. This is the reason that makes Mykonos unique after all!!!

b. You present in one of your photos the area of the Ancient Queens Tomb (Mycenaean period, 1600 B.C.) that was found during the hotel’s construction and is now under the protection of the Ministry of Culture. This one indeed belongs to our property. Yes, it is true that it still looks ugly with the temporary light metal roof, but it is not allowed to us to interfere and we just have to wait for the restoration of the monument. You may find more information on our official website.

c. You stayed in a spacious deluxe room (minimal design) that belongs to our new wing (built in 2008), with wooden parquet floor and wooden ceiling, featuring premium Coco Mat beds, Hypo-allergic Coco Mat pillows (2 types, soft and hard), Egyptian cotton Linen, Hypo-allergic cotton bed cover, flat TV, DVD/CD player, electronic safe, complimentary alcohol-free mini bar, modern floor to ceiling, large closet, design furniture, premium brand “Madura” curtains (the extra long size you complained for, is a design launched by Madura). In the bathroom you had a large cornered whirlpool bathtub, bathrobes, slippers and hypo-allergic bath amenities. It is quite obvious that you took the photos after using the bed and other facilities of the room and it is clear enough that any room looks totally different after the maid service than after been used.

d. The photos in our web site are recent as the web site itself, launched on May 2013 and reflect the current situation of the hotel. Many photos taken by other guests and published on TripAdvisor, are the proof of this.

Tharroe of Mykonos has approximately 3500 room overnights per year, (a vast number for a boutique hotel of only 26 rooms) and we are more than proud of the overall impression for the facilities and services we offer within our premises from our guests throughout the years of our operation (since 1997).

Finally to your attention, Tharroe of Mykonos is an officially rated 5 star hotel by the National Organization of Tourism since 1997. Has been approved, inspected every year and awarded by reputable European Hotels Organizations and niche Tour operators. for updated facilities and safety regulations.
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed October 1, 2013

I truly enjoyed my stay at the Tharroe of Mykonos. The location is great in that it is very central and in walking distance to town. The rooms were clean and comfortable. The view from the pool area was simply amazing. The staff was incredible and made the stay spectacular ! The level of service was fabulous. The daily breakfast was great along with the airport transportation.
I will definitely be back.

1 Thank jgintx
Olga P, Manager at Tharroe of Mykonos Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. I will be happy to welcome you again to Tharroe of Mykonos.
You may like our Facebook page , become a member of our Fan club and enjoy privileges and more by one click.
Athens, Greece
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We visited Mykonos for ten days this summer with a friend. It was a wondeful experience that i higlhly recommend. The hotel is situated on the top of a hill, providing amazing sunset views and beautiful vista of the city from the deck with a pool and jacuzzi. Rooms were very comfortable and renovated, ours has a great view as well. The beds were super comfortable, conducive to lots of restful sleep. The food at the hotel great, including rich breakfast. The most significant point was the service, the people, who went out of their way to help with everything we needed, under the direction of an extremely capable and friendly manager. The hotel is close to the town, about ten to fifteen minute walk. Will definitely be back next year.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Victoria T
Your warm comments are a great honor for the Hotel and our staff. We would like to thank you and looking forward to welcoming you back to Tharroe of Mykonos
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed September 24, 2013

I went with a friend in May. We had the greatest time! The staff is lovely, and very helpful (our ferry to Santorini was cancelled twice, and they helped us through the chaos). They gave a level of service that exceeds standard - to amazing!

The hotel itself is quiet- there are only 26 rooms. It's up a hill, away from the beaches. We rented ATVs, which made it convenient, cheap and easy to get around.

Breakfast is included until 11 AM, and the chef makes a delicious omelette!

We will be back - it was so much fun!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear mcerucci
Thank you for your detailled and kind comment . We always take under consideration all suggestions of our guests and we try our best in order to improve our facilities and services.
You may "like' our page on Facebook and feel free to send us your comments about our new projects for 2014 season.