“Superb food and excellent service”

Belgisch Eetcafe Calypso
Ranked #149 of 431 Restaurants in Costa Adeje
Cuisines: Belgian
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed February 12, 2019 via mobile

A real jewel with first class service from Amber and Miguel complimenting an excellent choice of food and drink options. Easy to miss so make sure you don’t

Date of visit: February 2019

Reviewed February 3, 2019

It was on a Monday when we came across the Calypso nestled between the all-day-English-breakfast and pint-of-lager-1 euro cafes quite by accident whilst out on an evening stroll. The Eetcafe was closed but through the glass frontage the furniture, layout and air of order and cleanliness looked worth investigating, so we came the next day to try it out.

We arrived at about 6:00pm to be allotted a table for two at the rear as most of the tables at the front had been reserved and we soon found out why.

There are about two dozen differen Belgiam beers available and in true Belgian style they each have their own glass. We had Kriek, Jupiler and de Konninck - all excellent. I especially recommend the cherry Kriek as an aperitif,

I chose a house speciality THE GOULASH. It was described in Flemish but I cannot remember the word. This is a serious culinary delight. There is a robust presence of paprika and some choice cuts of soft pulled pork with some secret spices. I have never tasted goulash as good as this in my life! The first taste is of light paprika and onion, closely followed by the pork invading the paprika/onion combo where the paprika has become stronger but then - the in the aftertaste there is a unidentifiable (to me) spice taste that winds its way round the other ingredients and ties them together in a waterfall of flavours - incredible!

The chef (of course I wanted to meet who was responsible for this delight of creation) looks to be about 24! Apparently it is his mother's recipe but I don't doubt for a moment that it takes more than a recipe to make a wonderful goulash.

During my rapture I did notice that more and more goulash was being served to the couples and foursomes who had reserved their tables. I think we were the only non-Belgian diners present that evening as I only heard snippets of Flemish/Dutch from the other tables.

My partner had an Endive and Ham Gratin which she said was, "Lovely" and that she had never had one as good in Belgium itself! - To put this in context, she has lived in Belgium and went to university there.

Delicious apple cakes and coffee finished off the meal - all perfect.

Date of visit: January 2019
1  Thank Jacek G
Reviewed December 30, 2018 via mobile

This restaurant has the best of food and staff.
Fillet steak tender and full of flavor, cooked to perfection. The staff are probably the nicest people I have ever been served by, truly friendly and absolutely on their game. I can't wait to go back again, I love this place !❤

Date of visit: December 2018
Reviewed December 4, 2018 via mobile

Finally got a chance to write a review. Everytime we come here, we have such a good time. The food is great, the entertainement is always top (thank you Nico) and the staff are always friendly and smiling (thank you Tacco & Team). We were there with Patrick “Elvis” and Cynthia “Bonny Taylor” Severens and had the best time ever, Check it out !!!

Date of visit: November 2018
Reviewed June 29, 2018 via mobile

Food absolutely beautiful and staff lovely too! Fresh made to order and the menu was lovely! For someone that isn't too good at eating outside of the UK this was lovely and had a lovely night!

Date of visit: June 2018