“Fantastic holiday! Would return!”

Playa Olid Apartments
Ranked #36 of 57 Hotels in Costa Adeje
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Fantastic holiday! Would return!”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Just back from a 2 week all-inclusive stay at the Playa Olid. Room 405R.
We are a young couple aged 22 & 23.

Like many others, i booked this hotel without reading the reviews, and to be honest i was quite worried about some of the reviews i read, but hey'ho we went ahead anyway.

Arrival:
We arrived around 19:00 on 16/07/13 (last on the Thomas cook transfer list) and check in was very quick and easy. We went straight to the room and unfortunately it wasn’t a furnished one, but it was fine.

Room (405R):
The room was a typical Spanish apartment - wooden squeaky chairs and sofas, however, they were very clean, lots of room, plenty of storage for clothes etc. Our double bed was 2 singles put together, but that didn't bother us much. The bathroom was spotless, equipped with a hair dryer, hand soap, shower wash & shampoo. The shower wasn’t the best - low pressure and a lack of hot water... so get in the shower first :) The main living/kitchen area was huge, also well equipped - coffee maker, kettle, electric cooker, fridge, toaster. They also supply a limited amount of kitchen equipment. The room also had a safe (key type) which was 49€ for 2 weeks - but you get 15€ back on check out.

The key for the room is a card key, which you put the key in the plug thing when you are in the room for power. (just a warning, don’t leave things on charge whilst you are out, because it won’t charge as there is not power without the key in) sounds common sense I know, but we done it, and a few other people done it and wondered why their phones etc. wasn’t charging!

Breakfast:
As mentioned, we were all-inclusive, however we never ate in the hotel the first night, but we went for breakfast in the morning - they serve all different fruit, cereals, as well as bacon, egg, sausage, beans, toast (watch out for the fried eggs being under cooked on the top) as for the drinks, they serve all different kinds of juices, water, milk, tea & coffee.

Lunch:
Lunch was actually quite good. They had quite a lot of options – lots of salads, pastas, cheeses, meats, as well as hot food; veal, chicken, pork, fish, steak, chips, burgers, hotdogs, nuggets, pizza. They also serve lager, wine & fizzy drinks at lunch time.

Dinner:
A lot like lunch, but more hot food, they did chicken dishes in a sauce, rabbit in a sauce, they also done duck one night. Just a note, nothing is labelled well, they just have a picture of a chicken or a cow – it doesn’t say anything about the sauce or anything like that. During our stay, they done “themed” nights, such as Chinese & Mexican nights. Overall the food is quite good, but quite repetitive over 2 weeks. But if you do feel like going out for food instead of eating in, the restaurants are very cheap. Full English breakfast with OJ = 2.10€, Also we went out one evening and found a Gordon Ramsay franchised restaurant (5min walk from the hotel) and it was 7.95€ for 3 courses! And the food was absolutely fantastic! I would recommend trying it!

Drinks:
I was happy with the drinks served from the pool bar & main bars, the A/I lager is san Miguel, which I drink at home! So very happy! They do a range of cocktails (from a machine) my girlfriend really enjoyed the Caribbean blue. They also do branded drinks but you have to pay a small supplement – JD & coke is 1€. Also after a certain time, they will only serve you 2 drinks per person, bit of a pain if you meet people and you go up to get a round. But no huge issue.

Pool bar:
Opens at 10pm till 6pm, they do nearly all the same drinks as the main bar, but with the addition of a slush machine! (Try the vodka slush)
Food at the main pool bar opens between 12pm – 1pm, then again from 3pm till 5.30pm (I think) they serve food such as burgers, hot dogs, chips and toasties.

Entertainment:
The entertainment did not really cater for our age group, it was really for young children and families. They were showing things such as, snake shows and magicians, so we didn’t really go in the entertainment room – apart from a couple of nights which did suit us, quiz & bingo night, and an illusionist show.

Local area & Prices:
I love the area, lots going on, but it’s not too rowdy and loud which is what we wanted. Plenty of bars, shops, restaurants. There is a little shop next to the hotel, which you get a 10% off card from the hotel.

Prices are very good around the area. E.g.;

Pint of lager: 1€ in nearly all bars

Golden Virginia – 5 x 50g - €23
1.5l Smirnoff vodka – 12.50€

The sun newspaper is quite expenisive - 2.20€

Overall hotel:
I really enjoyed to the hotel. It was spotlessly clean. I don’t think I walked around the hotel once and did not see someone cleaning in some way. The swimming pools I thought were really clean, even though I did cut my toe in the swimming pool though. Every morning I saw people from the maintenance team checking the chlorine in the pool, then every couple of days cleaning the pool and topping up the water. Some of the staff were a little moody, but the vast majority were brilliant!

I would definitely return to the Playa Olid! Thank you for a lovely holiday!

Room Tip: 405R was quiet at night, and also a good view.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
11 Thank Stuart F

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (524)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I visited Playa Olid in July as a group of 6 friends. The hotel was lovely and in a great location, however a few member of staff were very rude to our group. Theresa at reception asked my friend 'Are you stupid, can't you read?' When she asked a question about a form she had been given in Spanish. She was less than helpful any time we had questions.
A couple of the bar staff were very rude when we tried to order drinks in the evening, the queues are ridiculous and they will let some people orders lots of drinks at once whereas they laughed in my face and shouted at me when I asked to order more than 3 (for a party of 6).
The food was mostly quite good but a bit lacking for vegetarians. They did have some themed nights such as Mexican and Chinese which we all enjoyed.
The new apartments are huge with lovely walk in showers and balconies, big TVs and a big bed. They would be even better with air-con.
The location is great-it was a short walk downhill to the beach. It's quiet enough to have a peaceful night but close enough to the beach and bars etc that its easy to get involved in some of the action.
We visited Siam Water park which was amazing!
Overall Playa Olid is mostly a great hotel but a few members of staff could be friendlier and the bar is a bit of an ordeal in the evenings!

4 Thank MLCliftlands
Reviewed July 31, 2013

I've just got back of an 8 night all inclusive stay at playa olid, we went as a party of 3 women aged 23,18 and 17 and we didnt think it was a hotel really for our age groups as there is alot of family's the all inclusive was ok nothing special was just beef chicken fish pasta rice and chips every day breakfast was the best bit as at dinner you just got burgers hot dogs pizza etc nothing special there drinks did taste watered down but oh well we did also struggle to get sunbeds round the pool and that would be at half 8 when we went for breakfast, a child did poo in the pool when we was there and the staff did not clean it very well just got the pieces out with a net not adding any cleaning chemicals, it was very got when we was out there so the all inclusive was good to Just have a cold drink by your side, we also went to the beach one day it was 7 Euros for a sunbed there are lots of bars restaurants on the beach front if you are going to the beach its about a 10 min walk but a big hill which is a killer on the way back up but also just on the way down there is a restaurant which is yellow which does amazing paella, the market is only a short walk away and is a must do, we also did the waterpark well worth the money lots of fun, the best part of the holiday was veronicas strip cost 8 Euros in a taxi lots of cheap drink and young people having a laugh its brilliant, the room was clean but never got left enough towels which was annoying the rooms are massive but we didn't have a newly furbished one so was disappointed but oh well you only sleep in the room all in all would go back for a cheap week in the sun but its nothing amazing you get what you pay for.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank Holidays123456
Reviewed July 27, 2013

I stayed here from 5th to the 16th of July. When we got to the hotel at 10.40 the reception was helpful and directed us to our room. (204A) Which was spacious and very clean. Great view of pool, fridge, cooker everything you need if you are self catering.

The pool - I would avoid the smaller pool it dyed my white swimming suit yellow, there was rubbish in the pool, people's cigarette butts and what I was appoled at was the entertainment were playing a game, where men were to swim into pool and gather items. Well they threw a plate in and it smashed. They didn't ask kids to get out the pool, they just picked up the bits they could see. Very dangerous!

Staff - all staff were very pleasent and helpful. However one staff member Mari-mar, she has a bad attitude and isn't helpful behind the bar. What I did notice, if you were Spanish and had Spanish kids she would be all over them. She even brought one Spanish little girl round behind the bar.

Entertainment - wasn't very great, more for kids and only lasted an hour if only. Does vary between animal shows, dance shoes and magic shows. Personally wouldn't go out my way to watch it.

Safe/fan/wi-fi - the safe is in room, which cost me €46 for 11 night and you only get €11 back for hiring one. As there is no air conditioning and in July it is very hot, again cost a bit of money also for wi-fi in room cost me €50 for 11 days. I just think playa olid are all about grabbing your money!

Great location and everything at your door stop. No issues, had a great holiday regardless.

4 Thank Mcwright148
Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

I loved this hotel! Staff were lovely room was so clean and nice. Entertainment was really good! Food was good! Pools were so nice and very clean. Nice and relaxing place I would definitely recommend this hotel. It's a big massive 5 for me!!

4 Thank ClaireFalconer
Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2013

we travelled to costa adeje as a family and stayed in playa olid. 21st June for 2 weeks
We stayed in the refurbished rooms which were quite nice, however I had to complain several times about the bedding not being changed on the sofa bed and we were always giving less towels, which was annoying after the 1st week. The rooms were cleaned but not to a high standard. quick wipe of the floors and made the bed!!

FOOD!..... we were very disappointed with the same food over and over again it become
to repetitive, Rice, chips and anything else they could put together!!! no nice sweet stuff such as cake, ice cream just the same horrible jelly and mousse

They don't serve coffee in the restaurant at dinner nor lunch.

Pool 2: bar does not open till 12 closes at 3.45 and don't serve food so you have to walk all away to the other bar for a drink and a snacks

Bar: There Was always big queue and the drinks were so watered down you could not get drunk!

Pool 2 turned my blonde daughters hair green and any white clothes we has turned green
anyone with blonde hair went home with green hair so beward!!!!

Overall: Pool area is not cleaned enough nor is the water, food was repetitive, drinks were water down or cheap cheap sprits, cocktails were like kids drinks, pool caused hair to turn green. Some of the staff were nice but one horrible lady on reception with curly hair was not helpful at all.

Entertainment was so bad, really don't no where they get these people from!!

I was very disappointed :( I will make sure I will take on-board peoples reviews next time before booking a holiday!

Room Tip: Its on a motorway so take ear plugs
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank leeann2728
Wigan, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 20, 2013

Got back from a lovely week long (5th - 12th July) all inclusive holiday at Playa Olid. Our apartment (105A) was lovely, well decorated with good lighting. We weren't happy with the shower though as it leaked all the way through to the lounge area from every shower! The apartment was plenty spacious and had a balcony completely in the shade at all times of the day, overlooking the sun loungers area, which in turn overlooked one of the two main pools at the hotel. We used this pool throughout our stay due to it being so near to our room and sun loungers but the other pool was just as good round the other side of the hotel. Lots of snacks and drinks were available through the afternoon (1pm til 4:30pm) at the pool bar. The slush drinks were my favourite! There were plenty kids' activities through the day and evening to keep them entertained. Location wise it's not too bad as there are various shops, bars and restaurants nearby, including a British Pub and a 24hr Supermarket (both if you turn left out of the hotel and walk for a couple of mins). We found however, that if you want more decent shops, nightlife etc. you keep walking left out of the hotel for 10-15mins to the Fanabes Beach. The food was tasty with plenty of choices for all meals (although rice and chips were recurring choices). As others have said, the restaurant is similar to a canteen where you plate up your meals yourself and the tables are quite close together but this didn't bother us. Disappointingly though, we lost out on meals due to a late arrival and late departure (check out is at 12pm) which spoilt the value for money. Evening entertainment was good as there were some excellent acts such as the Eagle Show which were great for all ages. Once these acts had finished however, the entertainment kind of petered out. There was quite a wide variety of drinks all in all but didn't really cater for those who prefer alcopops and the like as there were only really cocktails (which were made from a machine) and vodka lemon. The wi-fi was a bit hit and miss as we went with the free option but you have the choice of paying to get it constantly. Wasn't a big deal as we were happy to get away from it all! The reception were very helpful with issues and even let us back in our room after check out as we had left something in there! Very good overall, would recommend others to stay :)

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family