“Spring holiday”

Ranked #47 of 57 Hotels in Costa Adeje
Kuressaare
“Spring holiday”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

We had every day long walk to the beach, and it was good!

Room Tip: A lot of stairs, but it does good for physiology.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Marku07

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (145)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
West Bromwich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

I booked this hotel as a last minute deal, departing within a week of booking. I am not generally a fussy person. Here's my honest review of the Neptuno and Costa Adeje.

We were looking for a cheap, week in the sun and we got it! We paid £615 for 2, with flights and extra baggage. Having read some of the reviews on here, I was a little apprehensive!

On arrival, I was pleasantly surprised with the room, which is large and plenty of space for the two of us. We were in 1 of 6 rooms that overlook the small (supposedly heated) pool, with a partial sea view (room 94). The balcony was a decent size, with space for a table, 4 chairs and also a clothes hanger/dryer attached to the wall and still with plenty of room left. The lounge area was also spacious, with the option to pay 20 euros for a weeks rental of the tv, which we did pay, as wanted to relax and stay in some nights. The tv had channels 1,2,3,4,5 plus a few of the extra channels you would normally see on freeview. The kitchen area was off the lounge area, separated by a breakfast bar and the self catering facilities were probably one of the best I have seen in a self catering facility (and I have stayed in a few!). There is a microwave, 2 slice toaster, kettle, fridge (with small freezer section), a 4 plate electric hob, several saucepans, 2 frying pans and most essentially, after reading some of the reviews on here, the Cucuracha (cockroach) spray. More on that later!
There was no washing up liquid or washing cloth, so we purchased these from the shop.

The bedroom was two single beds, which we pushed together. The beds were not the most comfortable, however they are not the worst I have encountered. Unfortunatley the pillows were. They were thin, lumpy and very narrow. If you have room in your baggage, I suggest you take your own! Plenty of wardrobe space. The bedroom did sometimes become stuffy at night. Due to my lack of fondness for bugs, the window stayed firmly shut. Was not too much of a problem in March, however I would imagine it would be unbearable in the heat of summer and there is no air conditioning.

The bathroom was reasonable, with no window, a bath and a shower in bath with a shower curtain. The shower experience was slightly obstructed by the disabled hand rails inside, which did make showering quite awkward. Due to all the steps and the fact that the hotel is at the top of a very steep hill, I cannot see that this particular disabled facility is required very often. Shower was always hot.

Now for the big cleaning debate! On arrival, our leaflet informed us that for clean bedding and towels and for the room to be cleaned, it would be 3 euros per person on each occasion. On our second day, the maid came in, did a quick (very quick) sweep around and replenished the toilet roll, even though we hadn't asked for it. On the 3rd day, the towels were changed. After that the maid did seem to come every day and do a quick sweep, but did not change the bedding and we did not see that it needed to be done, so didn't ask or pay for it.

Now for the cockroaches! Being an insect hater, i was not looking forward to the inevitable appearance of any at some point during our stay. We had no issues inside the apartment with any cockroaches. For the people that moan about them on here, clean up after yourselves food wise, dont leave dirty pots and pans around and take your food rubbish to an outside bin as soon as you have finished and you will have no issues. We kept EVERYTHING in the fridge also, even the biscuits and following these rules, did not see 1 inside the apartment during our entire stay. If there is nothing there to attract them, then they wont come in! However, being an animal lover and purchasing some tins of sardines one evening, to feed the local stray cats over the balcony, I spilt some of the juice from inside the tin onto the balcony floor. I immediately wiped it up, but clearly not enough. Within 5 minutes, there were 5 cockroaches on the balcony and I am sorry to say, whom I immediately dispatched with the cockroach spray. And that is the only time we saw any.

Now for the hotel grounds. Lots of steps, very scenic, very quiet at night (apart from the odd noisy neigbour slamming doors). Certainly not for the elderly, unfit or disabled. Three pools. One heated, which although was warmer than the main pool, clearly was not heated, maybe by the sun, but nothing else. This pool also closed at around 1530 and the gates were locked. However, if you had 1 of the 6 rooms facing the pool and were on the ground floor, the staff were happy to lock you in and for you to climb over your balcony back into your room. The second main pool was very cold! There is also a small childrens shallow pool next to the main pool. Plenty of sunbeds to go around at all pools, some with cushioned mattresses on (that have probably seen better days!), but no real problems.

The hotel bar was quite expensive. For a local spirit with mixer and a large local beer was around 7 euros. There was also 'The Olde Tavern Pub', which was indoors, but did not seem to be open during our stay. The pool bar closes at 5.30pm, so not anywhere you can get a drink, unless you go into the restaurant.

The first night, as we arrived around 8.30pm, decided to eat in the hotel restaurant. And I am afraid this is an experience I would not repeat. Having ordered steak and canarian potatoes, was advised AS meal arrived that sorry they did not have canarian potatoes, so they had put me fries instead, of which I am not very keen on. Perhaps they could have asked me before cooking and serving them? I asked for a well done steak and it was bland and tasteless. The salad was mainly lettuce, with one small piece of cucumber and tomato. However my partner had his steak medium and enjoyed his. It also helped that he likes fries! We also ordered a bottle of wine, which we were then told they did not have and had to have an alternative. The shop is 30 seconds across the road and they sell this particular wine (which I found out later). So perhaps the staff could have made the effort and fetched one. For two steaks, it was nearly 30 euros. So I would not really recommend the restaurant and we did not eat there again.

Reception staff were great, very helpful with any enquiries and taxi ordering etc.

Now for the hill! No problems walking down, although I didn't try it at night in my high heels and got a taxi. It is about a ten minute walk down the hill, which gets you into the edge of Costa Adeje and the Fanabe area. Coming back up is a killer, even for me, relatively fit and in my early 30's, I was struggling for breath by the time I got to the top. Don't believe what anyone else says. IT IS STEEP and very tiring, especially in the heat of the sun. I have rated the hotel as very good for location. Which for scenery and peacefulness, it is, however it would depend what you are looking for.

Walk to the beach is a 15 minute, fairly quickly paced walk. The beach is gorgeous, as is the promenade that leads from Fanabe, all the way up to Los Christianos. A beautiful, scenic walk, with lots of bars, restaurants and shops along the way. The Moonlight Bar (follow the road more or less all the way straight until you get to the sea front) was great for drinks, watching the world go by and nightime entertainment. Saw a couple of good bands there. They also have karaoke there. Drinks were pretty cheap at night and for a large local spirit with mixer and a large local beer, cost only 4 euros! Bargain!

Also on the way down the hill, is the Wigan Pier, on the right hand side. Lovely little, clean, English run pub on the inside with outdoor seating also. Reasonably priced drinks. Amazing food. They show all the sports if you like that sort of thing. I have never been much of a burger fan, but the Wigan Pier turned me into one! Big, juicy burgers and the best home cooked chips I have ever tasted!

Turn right at the Wigan Pier (from the downhill direction) and you are in Fanabe. Lots of nice restaurants here. So sad I cannot remember the name, lovely Spanish restaurant. Romantic setting. We paid around 60 euros for a three course meal, with garlic bread for starter, 1 canarian chicken and a steak for main and pancakes and a large portion of Tiramusu for desert (heaven!), plus 2 bottles of decent quality wine. There are about 4 main streets in Fanabe, all of which run downhill towards the beach. All I can tell you is that it was on one of these main streets, opposite an arcade.

The only other time we ate out was in San Eugenio, at Harley's. Five minute taxi drive from the hotel. Very nice setting, with motorcycles and parts of old cars. The menu sounded amazing! I opted for Chimichanga, which was decent, but Ive had better. My partner ordered the large T bone steak. The only large thing about it was the bone and fat. And it was nearly 20 euros for the steak. Not impressed.

We only ventured into Las Americas twice during the day and sadly, upon visiting Yates's, even at 5pm in the afternoon made me feel a bit old and past it!

The shop across the road from the hotel is reasonable. Only a small shop, but they seem to have everything! Some of the stuff was overpriced, as it always is. But the price of the bread was excessive. A loaf of white bread (and the squares are smaller than ours) was 2 euros and that was the cheapest. But everything else was a reasonable price.

We also went to the Jungle Park, catching the free bus, but paying 24 euros per adult to get in, which I found a bit excessive. The food and even the water is very expensive in there. Even the photos with animals that you have the option to have taken are excessive, at 8 euros per photo. And they won't barter on a price if you have more than one. If you are going to the Park with a family including children, you better re mortgage your house! We also visited La Casa Camello, where we had a 20 minute camel ride for 10 euros each. After there was the option to touch/pet/look at the camels. They also had a couple of pony's, goats and chickens. If you get reception to ring up, the free bus comes to collect you from right on the doorstep at an agreed time.

All in all, if you are looking for a peaceful hotel, that is relatively clean and you are not expecting 4*, and dont mind the walks up and down the hill, this hotel is very scenic, in a peaceful location and at the right price is perfect, and I would definately recommend it!

It had been 11 years since I went to Tenerife last and this visit has renewed my love for it. It's not all about the wild nightlife, it's also about the lovely beaches, nice food and the sun.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
37 Thank fluffycamel2002
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2012

Stayed at this hotel for a week in February. The friendliness of the staff was remarkable, and the appartement was spacious and clean. We had a nice view of the ocean. The area is quiet, as the hotel is at the end of a cul de sac.

Neptuno is not close to the beach, but a bit up into the hills of Tenerife. When going to the beach, we usually walked down and took a taxi back (around 5 euro). Many of the hotels closer to the beach are also closer to the traffic and not as private, so we actually preferred this location. The pool area is nice, and though not too many others took advantage of the water in February, we did.

I would recommend this hotel to other travellers.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank Kyllen
Leicester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2012

Great hotel for the money. We stayed on a self catering basis in an appartment, which slept up to 4. Big bedroom with plenty of wardrobe space and large kitchen/dining/lounge area. We had a balcony which was looking out towards the sea and we were lucky enough to have the sun on the balcony from dawn until dusk. (room 136). Terrific views from the balcony.
The kitchen was tired looking but everything was there that was needed, including a very slow kettle! TV in room was extra to pay for but as we don't go on holiday to watch TV this was not a problem. Hairdryer in the bathroom. Bathroom a fair size and clean with plenty of hot water all week. Towels changed every other day and sheets once whilst we were there. A comfortable base. We did not use the hotel facilities of the pool or bar, but both looked fine. Helpful reception staff. Internet available in the reception area at a cheap price if you need it. The hotel is a walk up a steep hill but if you are fairly fit this should not prove a problem and you are then rewarded with the view. Nice Danish bakery along the road where the hotel is at the Regency Hotel - fresh bread/cakes/sandwiches made at very reasonable prices. The beach is about a 15 min walk away, into the harbour area where there are lots of places to eat. For entertainment try Eugene's Bar and the Moonlight pub were both good with entertainment on. We were also lucky enough to have great weather for a week in Tenerife.

Room Tip: Ask for a high up balcony facing the sea - that way you will hopefully get the sun all day up there.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank pejko123
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2012

went out there with a few mates literally for the cheap alcohol sun and partying this was perfect for what we were looking for the place was lovely, friendly staff who would chat to us at the bar and generally just a good laugh the 2 bar ladies (Stephanie and Virginia) were great fun the rooms were clean and well kept by the cleaners everybody who says this is a poor location is either too lazy to walk down a hill to a beach or too cheap to pay 3 euro for a taxi more or less anywhere around. there was a cockroach or 2 but seriously its a hot country there obviously will be regardless of cleaning. we met several other couples out there young and old and with kids and everybody was friendly and having a good time so dont pay attention to the reviews dont go out there and give you attitude because we know the staff wont bother helping rude people :)

Room Tip: room 15 double balcony right above the pool and have sun all day any others on the right side of the...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
5 Thank MRChefholidayman
Barnsley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 9, 2012

Arrived mid afternoon on 10th july with my hubby and 2 kids, greeted by a lovely man who checked us in very quickly. He gave us a welcome pack with a few leaflets in about places to visit and a time table of the free bus.

Our room was room 15 it was massive we had full bathroom, large bedroom, lounge kitchenette and double balcony with airer and table and chairs.

The kitchen was well equipt with toaster hob kettle fridge microwave and loads of pots and pans.

We never ate in the bar but saw loads of people eating each day and never heard anyine complain - only downside was bar prices €1.70 for HALF pint of local lager!!!!
Taxis were very cheap €4.00 to fanabe beach walk up hill wasnt that bad but would be bad if you were wearing heels...

(I used to have trip advisor account under name of nevaehsm um but can't remember log in details)

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking pool area
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank 169MichelleP169
Tallinn
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 1, 2012

The average price, but a very poor location. The beach and the resort quite a long way. Moreover the hotel is located in a mountainous region and on foot it is a very sharp rise. Otherwise a very clean rooms and a decent apartment, kitchen very well-equipped, everything you would need. Two hotel pools, one heated but open only half a day. Stairways can be quite often found a cockroaches, but they are common in the Canary Islands.
In general, for the same money you could find much better placed hotel in Tenerife.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
#13 of 57 in Costa Adeje
Tinerfe Garden
Tinerfe Garden
#46 of 57 in Costa Adeje

Been to Neptuno Aparthotel? Share your experiences!