“Fantastic Holiday - Shame about the moaners!”

GF Gran Costa Adeje
Ranked #17 of 60 Hotels in Costa Adeje
Reviewed February 5, 2010

I have recently returned from a two week stay at this Hotel and could not fault it. After reading many negative comments I was slightly worried on arrival but I am happy to say that I was very pleasantly surprised.

I paid to go All Inclusive and absolutely wanted for nothing during my stay, the service was excellent - it really helps if you are polite and courteous to the staff as this is recipricated tenfold. Be aware that people staying on lesser food packages may give you funny looks but this is mainly due to the fact that they have to pay for all of the food and drink.

I have been travelling to Tenerife for 16 years and I can honestly say that this is the best holiday I have had there. The buffet lunch and dinner service provided a wide variety of meats and fish which were freshly cooked to your liking, the wine was plentiful and the waiters happy to assist with anything further we needed. Breakfast is also fantastic with every type of food you can think of - eggs and omlettes are cooked to your liking.

With regard to the pools, yes one of the pools is not heated but for goodness sake when it is 31 degrees in the sun then this was well received.

If you want a holiday in lovely surroundings with good food and a high level of cleanliness then this is the one for you. Enjoy!

2  Thank firestorm46

Reviewed January 31, 2010

After reading some really poor reviews recently left on here, I felt I had to put another side across. We returned a few days ago from the Costa Adeje Gran Hotel and can honestly say we had a fantastic time.
On arriving, staff rushed out to help us with our cases, check in was very smooth and quick, and we were settled in our room within approx ten mins. There was a Bottle of Cava and some sparkling water delivered within another 5 mins. The room was large and spacious with twin beds, double wardrobes, dressing table etc as described in a recent review. The balcony overlooked the pools and had a sea view to one side. The bathroom was large , I would say it was a little tired in places but spotlessly clean and certainly nothing to cause an issue.
Two of the pools are heated , the childrens pool and one other. They were not "warm" as such but definately warmer than the one that wasnt heated!! and my toddler was more than happy splashing around for ages , the childrens pool is an ideal depth for young children and keeps them away from the adults pool if other guests want to swim in peace. There were many toys and inflatables in the pool for the childrens use. Plenty of sunbeds and towels provided in exchange for a card given at check in, these can be changed as many times as required.
We stayed on a half board basis and ate at the hotel for 6 out of the 7 nights we were there. We tended to be at breakfast between 7 and half 8 and it wasnt horrendously busy. There is an enormous amount of choice, with cereals, fruits, yoghurts, cold meats, cheeses, smoked fish, eggs of various types, bacon, sausages, pastries etc... the list could go on!! I did not try any of the meats but found the quality of all of the other food perfectly acceptable, the scrambled egg was not quite as i liked it, and the boiled eggs were a bit runny but it was more a personal thing than an issue. The amount of food people were managing to eat tells me the quality was fine! and if you want an english fry up exactly as you get in a greasy cafe in the UK then maybe stay there. The evening meals again had lots of variety . We dont eat the meat dishes so I cant comment on them but there was alot being cooked to order and seemed to be very popular. The fish cooked on the grill was a little dry but there was so much other choice as well i never felt hungry or the need to eat elsewhere , apart from one night for my birthday. If im honest I probably would say it was not "5 star" food but then if I ate at a restaurant everyo night providing a better standard of food I expect it would have cost the equivalent of most of my holiday.
Some people have commented on " all- inclusive" guests, or stated that people are 2 star quality. I did not notice any difference between guests and could not point out who was bb, HB or AI. All of the guests were extremely pleasant and extremely friendly to us and our daughter who likes to talk to everybody! There was alot of "mature" visitors, but also families and couples. I did not have any issues with anybody throughout the week , and we overlooked the pool and did not hear any noise early morning from swimmers. I didnt actually see any but my husband said there was an occasional one. There were signs asking people to dress for dinner in appropriate clothing. There was definately some people dressed especially for going out to dinner and others dressed as they were from the day but there was nobody that caused any offence to me or my family and at worst they looked a bit more relaxed ! Maybe its a bit old fashioned these days to expect people to be in shirts and trosers or dresses for dinner?
The hotel is 5-10 mins from the beach, it is down a steep hill, and if you go right at the beach front there is a lovely beach with some restaurants shops and cafes. Left is probably a bit busier and not such a nice beach unless you walk round to the harbour but there are many cheaper cafes, restaurants and typical resort shops along the front. We managed the hill every day with a pushchair and it was not an issue at all. It would be very easy to get a taxi if the hill was an issue but for the average person it was fine. Im also nearly 6 mths pregnant and didnt cause me a problem. There is a shopping centre at the bottom of the hill with some very nice, perhaps more expensive shops, or some typical shops to the left as you leave the hotel. All within easy reach.
We took a trip to Loro Parque while we were there, I would recommend booking with one of the excursion operators down on the promenade, there was a good one fairly close to the harbour but saved about 15-20 Euros rather than booking in the hotel. We also took the road train, more for my daughters benefit. I wouldnt recommend this as it doesnt go along the sea front and there isnt much to see and you get shaken about a bit for 9 euros a person! At one point we thought we were going to join the motorway !
All in all we had a very good holiday, I would recommend the hotel to anybody and if I was going back to tenerife I would be happy to stay here. Costa adeje is ideal if you want to be accessible to the beach, have a variety of shops and restaurants within easy walk , yet be a short taxi ride away from a busier area if you prefer

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
6  Thank Caroline059
Reviewed January 31, 2010

Very impersonal entrance, reception on the far right of the area, no offer of a porter just directed to the lift. The breakfast was very good on the whole with a lot of choice, you need to get down by 8.30 at the latest as it is survival of the fitest otherwise. My husband and I were really pleased that we chose the bed and breakfast option as we wouldn't have wanted to queue up for an evening meal with so many people darting around, children crying and a lot of noise from the echo of the building.
The bedroom was very nice and overlooked the pool which was not heated inspite of adverising that it was. If you venture down to the beach, it is a bit of a hike, especially coming back as the road is quite steep. Once down at Del Duque (very nice but expensive) the beach is lovely and the best in the area. The best part of the hotel is the pool restaurant which was very well priced with lots of selection and the staff were lovely. The worst part was the evening entertainment which at best was embarrassing with second rate acts and you had to wait till 10.00 at night for those, the childrens disco was fab though even though we haven't got children. We enjoyed our stay inspite of my comments but would chose a different smaller hotel next time with more of the personal service that we were looking for.

1  Thank sippykytie
Reviewed January 30, 2010

Recently enjoyed a last minute break to the hotel in mid Jan with my husband and 2yr old son. On arrival we were quickly checked in and our bags were taken to our room.

We were really pleased with the standard and size of the accomodation. Small entrance hall with plenty of space for the buggy. Door leading to huge bathroom. Large bath with shower, double sinks and separate toilet and bidet. Our standard bedroom was complete with a large bed and sofa bed which was made up for our arrival. The bed was firm, but comfortable, however I wouldn't fancy sleeping on the sofa bed for any length of time. 2 large fitted wardrobes, dressing table with fridge, armchair and coffee table and TV with the main 4 British channels. Throughout the week we had clean towels every day, and the housekeeping staff kept our room spotless without disturbing us.

We booked our break independently, so picked up a HB deal from Asda for £7 more than the Expedia B&B price. The 1st morning that we went for breakfast stressed us out as it was very busy, and the service wasn't great, however once we found the lie of the land it was fine. There is a huge selection of food which the hotel staff seem to replenish often, but my main gripe would be the other holidaymakers.......why can people not use tongs etc? We found the area to the far end of the restaurant ideal for us as there is a small kids play area, so that kept my little one entertained while we had a caffine hit. Dinner I found to be a depressing affair. As we have a toddler it was like relay eating, and the queues were long for some of the dishes, so by the time my husband would select his meal I would be finished mine. The quality whilst not great, we didn't starve on the 4 evenings we ate there. We ate lunch once at the poolside restaurant which was overpriced with very slow service, and the food was pretty disgusting. Just outside the hotel is a small strip with a supermarket and a few bars which do all the usual tourist lunch menus. I would recommend the Chinese restaurant, we were a bit wary, but it was actually really nice.

In the main pool area there are 2 large pools and a childrens pool, We still hadn't figured out which was the heated one by the end of our holiday, I think fresh is how I would describe the pool temperature in January! There are plenty of sunbeds and parasols, so there was never any hassle finding a good spot. There didn't seem to be many people smoking poolside either which was great. On arrival you get a card which entitles you to pool towels which you pick up from a little booth beside the poolbar.

At the back of the hotel you will find the kids club, which we didn't use as my little boy was to young, however he enjoyed the play area and climbing frame. Every evening the animation team host a mini disco for the kids which was a great way from them to burn off some energy before bedtime, and all the kids staff seemed really kind.

Evening entertainment in the main bar is a bit dodgy, performing parrots or the women doing her snake show with a lot of innuendo doesn't really do it for us, and although the waiters make a big deal of bringing the brand name bottles to your table to pour, it cetainly wasn't Baileys in the bottle.

When checking in we requested a late checkout, however this needs to be requested after 10am on your last day. We ended up having to pay 50 euro to move to another room on our last day as someone else was due into our room. I felt the staff could have been more accomodating as we requested this at the start of our trip, and they didn't charge or move everone requesting this option.

Did I have a good holiday........yes.
Would I return.......not in high season, but definitely for a winter break.
Do I think the hotel is a 5 star.......No, but if you wasn't 5 star then pay 3 times as much for one of the other hotels in the area.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed January 29, 2010

This hotel is NOT 5 star, as quoted in all the books - dress code in the evening is not being monitored as young married's and teenagers were coming down for dinner in shorts, T.shirts and flipflops this was not being picked up at the door by the dining room manager, although there was a notice in the lift that men must wear long trousers for dinner.

Breakfast is of a fairly good standard. We noticed that a large numberof people were packing up and making sandwiches for their lunches. This was not stopped by any dining room staff. There is no control in the dining room of any sort.

The evening meals were a mish mash of food thrown together, and badly cooked.

The only saving grace was that the hotel decor and rooms were of a good standard.

The large swimming pools are NOT heated and are surrounded by the hotel
bedrooms. When early morning swimmers are in the pool at 7am and holding conversations their voices are echoed around and you can even hear them while you are in your bed.

The clientelle at the hotel were mostly on all inclusive and walked around with blue plastic wristbands - as if they were about to be operated on. The standard of people who were staying were not 5 star they were 2 star, some having come off a Thomson cheap all inclusive cruise and stay.

To get to the beach front there is a downhill walk, which is quite steep and not for oap's. The Thursday and Friday market it in a good position opposite the hotel, and a bus stop is also in a convenient position and will take you into Playa Las Americas and Los Christianos.

My husband and I will not be staying in this 5 star hotel again!

2  Thank princesscourt
Reviewed January 28, 2010

We stayed at the Costa Gran for 2 weeks over Christmas and New Years Eve. It was one of the best hotels we have stayed in and we will def be going back. The hotel is huge, we had to ask on the first day where the dinner was held as we couldnt find it. Our room was on the fourth floor, very big and clean. Lovely balcony that looked over pool and the sea. The bathroom was very big, double sinks and a brilliant shower as well.

The food was excellent, so excellent that I put on half a stone in 2 weeks. Every night had a different theme and there was a massive selection to choose from. We found all the food to be fresh, a lot of it was cooked right infront of you. There was chips every night for the boring ones, but while there we also had some great veggie dishes, octopus, lobster, steak, chicken etc. Breakfasts also had a massive selection. The only negative for many we noticed in the mornings were the bacon and sausages were not like in UK, what did they expect, you're in Spain. We also saw a lot of holiday makers being incredibly rude to the waiting staff, especially those who were cooking the food infront of them, totally uncalled for.

The pools at the hotel were cool but refreshing. One of them was heated. We mainly stayed at the roof top pool as it was quieter and with brilliant views. The beaches are about a 5-10min walk (again why are people complaining about this, you know before you go its not a beach hotel). The beaches were great, massive waves on the beach to the right of the blowhole. And a def must is Siam Park, the most amazing waterpark ever, we loved it. Dont go to the Aqualand, it was filthy and the manager was not interested when we complained about the disgusting water.

Loved it and hopefully going to go back later this year.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank woozysss
Reviewed January 25, 2010

Impressive reception, spacious clean hotel. Food was very varied but not five star.
Be careful about going all inclusive as they seem to hide the AI drinks menu. This has a limited choice and a lot of drinks are only available at a 40% discount rate.
The rooms are spacious and very clean. Smoking allowed in outside areas and in your room.
Entertainment every evening at 9.45, this is very mediocre.
Sunbeds are in plentiful supply but are laid out a bit sardine like.
Hotel is well situated for local amenities .
Overall we enjoyed what we wanted to do, crash out and have a rest.
Doubtful whether we would return to this hotel.