“Large, decent enough hotel but not a 5 star”

GF Gran Costa Adeje
Ranked #17 of 60 Hotels in Costa Adeje
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Stayed 3 nights, large comfortable rooms, interconnecting doors unlocked though?? Had to put furniture against it. Not ideal. Swimming pool being repaired which created a large degree of noise so not exactly a relaxing environment around the pool. Appearance of hotel is a bit tired and it just hasn't got the feel or look of a 5 star hotel. Drinks are pricey and I can understand why people go AI rather than HB. Food is fine and plentiful, staff were attentive and polite throughout. Gym is limited in terms of equipment. Decent evening entertainment every night we were there.

3  Thank Backfixer

Reviewed March 29, 2014 via mobile

Just arrived home yesterday from a weeks stay in the costa adeje gran. On the whole had a lovely time but there were one or two wee "niggles" which if set right would ensure our return for our next trip to costa adeje. First of all though I would like to say how comfortable the beds are!! They have obviously read the previous comment re a pillow menu as there was one in our room, however I asked for a change of pillow but never received it! No matter, as I discovered the "firm" pillow was actually really comfy n negated the need for a different one! We were delighted with our room (403) we had a fantastic view of both the mountains and the sea and were very happy with that. I had emailed the hotel a cple of weeks before arrival requesting a sunny room on a higher floor and were provided with just that! The shower needed attention tho - we eventually managed to get an angle that was effective for us, but managed to soak the floor a cple of times!! Sorry! Thermostat definitely needed tho as I was scalded on top of my already painful sunburn!! Delighted with the overall quality if the hotel. C'mon guys tho, get the telly sorted out! As many have said the majority of guests are British n I quite like watchin a wee bit of TV at times, especially when you're in bed unwell!! Which brings me to the racket the maids make!! We are quite private tidy people and tend to take care of our own cleaning needs most days, but it seemed as though the maids went in for rearranging the furniture in every room they went into!! Food was ok, but not five star fare, but was alright. Now to the biggest bugbear of our holiday - when I go all inclusive I expect ALL to be inclusive (with the usual proviso of locally produced wines/spirits!!). I certainly don't expect to hear "sorry madam, that is not included"!! Far too many times I was met with this reply - I wasn't asking for caviar or champagne - a packet of crisps and a toasted sandwich were my simple requests!! Instead a dish of mixed nuts were passed my way!! We are not big drinkers or eaters, and I'm sure the hotel made a killing on our booking!! I was disappointed with the level of snacks on offer (ie none other than bar nuts which I NEVER eat on account of not knowing where the uneaten ones go!!!). However all in all it was a pleasant stay and if they were able to change those couple of niggles we would definitely return. Costa Adeje is a lovely wee place and well looked after.

PS. Can someone at the hotel make sure the wee cat with sore eyes gets some medical attention! I know the cat doesn't live or belong to the hotel, but I called K9 charity to ask them to help, they told me the hotels usually call them but they hadn't received any calls! I had spoken with a staff member who said he wld help, but three days later the poor wee thing was still sickly! It wld be nice to know if it's been taken care of, as I was really upset about its plight!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Merryboo
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Just returned from a really lovely week in Tenerife. A lovely week that is until the morning we were due to travel home. My husband was unfortunately taken ill & hospitalised. I cannot praise the staff of the Adeje Gran highly enough for the way in which they looked after me. It was way beyond their call of duty & they made a very traumatic situation more bearable. From reassurance to accommodation to food they couldn't have done more to help. It certainly would encourage us to return & besides, it is a beautiful hotel & location. It's a rare thing these days but all the staff seem to enjoy what they're doing!

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Rosemary A
Reviewed March 28, 2014

Even with the main pool being repaired the Hotel managed to relax you, food as always lovely, staff very friendly and the entertainment great, my only disappoint was the British TV Chanel has disappeared and a great percentage of guests are British, it's not a major problem but it was quiet nice to flick on when getting ready in the morning and evening, now it's just the usual euro channels :(, .

Room Tip: All rooms are good,so no real problems and the hotel is quiet
2  Thank IsayJoo
Reviewed March 28, 2014

after visiting in october for 7 days and had a lovley time i decided to book again in a junior suite witch was outstanding a huge balcony big bed to myself was bliss every body keeps moanin about repairs WHY the hotel is dealing with these issues repairs are beein done end ov !! soon as you enter the grand entrance u r checked in by such friendly staff and a glass ov cava after a long flight was great , the atmosphere is wonderfull , the food is outstanding such choice from breakfast to eving meal something for every one and pancakes for breakfast is fantastic to pasta station fillet steaks diferent themes each night a huge range ov sweets deserts it is a very busy resterant but unless your a fuzzy typical british moaner like most brits are i just get on with it and enjoy my food the staff work very hard to keep service going , entertaimments not my thing but theres sum good shows for older folk i preferd to sit on my huge balcony and look over del duque castle the debate on 5 star witch most people moan about it is a 5 star hotel for sure the price is not 5 star !! remember this before judging this hotel if u want true 5 star pay 3000 pound and stay at the del duque or mirador , but every one has ther own opinion but im missing the pancakes already look 4ward to stayin again nx year

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
6  Thank 415lee
Reviewed March 27, 2014

this is our 3rd visit ,the hotel could do with a lick of paint in places .one of the pools is being repaired at the moment so there are areas which have barriers .we like the adult only pool on the roof NB there were a couple of children in it but not a problem.it was still very cold even though we were told that it is now heated ,the sun bathing area got very cramped but it was good to see the towels on sunbed policy was still in place even so all the beds were full by about 10am .it is a smallish area.The room was clean with a very comfortable bed we overlooked the mountains, very peaceful we did have a problem with the shower a couple of times ,the water just stopped and we had to wait a while with soapy hair for it to come back on !!! .The staff were helpful and friendly.We travelled with Monarch holidays .very impressed .the flight and transfer from the airport was perfect . We also found an lovely tea room called HARRIETTS amazing cakes and sandwiches ,the street has Burger king at the bottom on the sea front and a barrier across the road at the top .there's also a car park at the top.

Room Tip: if you want a room near to the roof pool ask for floor 4 or 5
2  Thank leedsunited
Reviewed March 27, 2014

Hotel I was worried was a bit far up the hill and away from the centre but it was a 10 minute walk max, yes its up hill but its not that bad, the hotel itself is grand and is stunning, it is spotless and very well maintained, the rooms were very spacious and lovely with all the little extras on arrival chocolates, water and all the toiletries, the pools were great, one was shut being repaired but this didn't effect our holiday one bit, the kids pool is amazing and my son loved it (18months) he could stand and play in it, the pools are not tiles they actually have a rubber bottom (I think) but my point is they are so hygienic and clean and have no dirt like normal pool tiles gather.
Food was excellent and of great choice, a tad busy but where isn't! We went full board, the all inclusive i didn't do as even though you are all inclusive there was suppliments for a lot of the drink, the cider was 4 euro to pay and certain spirits and beers were all suppliments, also no cocktails allowed on all inclusive so it was a bit pointless, the drink was average priced so we just paid cash for our drinks.
Entertainment was good and varied
I would return for sure