We visited last Nov and there was some tatty decor issues and leaks which I understood from the management would be sorted out this year. Upon our return this year we found several leaks again in the main lobby as the hotel was still struggling to cope with the rain. However, the good news was as a repeat visitor we were advised we would be getting a 'nice' room. Unfortunately the room was one of the smallest rooms in the hotel pushed up in a corner. Infact, it would seem that only 3 other rooms are of this size. We were either unfortunate or my definition of 'nice' is something completely different. Reception fortunately located another room for us although they didn't seem keen us moving to that room.
The new room however was a vast improvement, however the general decor/plaster work in the corridors and outside of the building around our room was shocking. Large sections of plaster work had just deteriorated to such an extent that the wind was blowing flakes of plaster work and paint everywhere. The majority of hotel seems to of had a re-skim of bare finishing plaster which is of no surprise that the rain causes it to crack/split and then deteriorate.
The main dining area was in a bad decor state especially the alcove seating area to the left of the main restaurant where it just looks shabby. The good news is that scaffolding is up at the back of the hotel so looks like some sort of refurbishment has started but i'd say they are a year too late with this - Not good at all for a 5 star hotel and we won't be going back until the decor is back to a decent standard.
Food was fine and yes the restaurant can be hectic at peak time but if you stagger your visit there are much quieter times. Restaurant staff were very attentive and always accommodated us with a nice seat by the window. I do agree that the main eating area has lights that are far too bright and uninspiring to say the least.
The heated pool this year is definitely not as warm as last year. The water was running cold after about 11am from the waterfall so something is wrong with a thermostat / timer somewhere. It was bearable though. There was plenty of sunbeds available and the staff do all they can to ensure the early bed hoggers don't get away with it. The roof terrace was always nice and peaceful and is one of the best features of the hotel. The pool is freeeezzzing though up there. The crazy golf was good fun too.
The entertainment wasn't much better but then that tends to be an issue with alot of hotels. They have tried though with some new acts.
We caught a bus to Los Cristianos for 1.45 euros each and then walked along the front back to the hotel. Definitely a nice walk to do and shows the Los Cristianos and Playa Las Americas is not all about high rise 70's hotels. Cocktails on Fanabe beach was also very nice.
The Thomson taxi transfer was a nice touch from Thomson and yep it really was a whole minibus to ourselves. Mad I know sending all those minibuses out with only two people in but hey, who am I to complain :-)
So sad about the decor and maintenance issues as it is really a lovely hotel and friendly staff. Lets hope the management return the hotel back to its former glory.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- COSTA ADEJE GRAN Hotel, a 5 star hotel located in Costa Adeje area in the south of Tenerife, has 485 rooms (double standard rooms and suites). Free WIFI access in all Hotel areas, and a huge variety of services and installations, as restaurants, bars, pools, sun terrace, shops, mini market, etc. Perfect for your family holidays as well as for couples and friends. We are also a perfect option for conferences, events and weddings, as our Hotel counts with several conference rooms. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Priceline, Orbitz, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Travelocity, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Cheap Tickets and Evoline ltd so you can book your GF Gran Costa Adeje reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Hotel Adeje
- Adeje Gran Tenerife
- Costa Adeje Gran Hotel Tenerife
- GF Gran Costa Adeje Tenerife