“Alot better than what I expected”

LABRANDA Isla Bonita
Ranked #53 of 61 Hotels in Costa Adeje
Reviewed June 25, 2014

On reading so many of the review for Isla Bonita, I honestly was so apprehensive about our booking but I was very happy with our choice. We had booked the superior room & couldnt really fault this tbh. For all the time we spend in the room it was perfect for what we were looking for. It was lovely in the evening to sit out on the balcony & enjoy a glass of beer or wine & chill before dinner. I dont know what some people expected for the price you pay with the food. you get what you pay for & there was sooooooo much choice for bfast/lunch/dinner. there wasnt one day that we left the dining room & said that meal was horrible. it was great to get to sample so many different dishes. Each night they have a theme i.e italian, mexican, spanish night etc. I can be fussy with certain things at times but been honest i couldnt fault this hotel. only prob we had was with the WIFI and the staff at reception wasnt helpful trying to resolve this. the guy also in reception was a bit annoyed that i asked him to print out our boarding pass but he eventually printed it out for us. i def would recommend this hotel as its walking distance to the beach, bars etc & I def would make a return journey if i ever was staying in Costa Adeje again. def recommend going to Siam Water Park. We had a really good day there

Room Tip: we booked a superior room
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Elaine M
DireccionIslaBonita, Director de Relaciones Públicas at LABRANDA Isla Bonita, responded to this reviewResponded June 28, 2014

Dear madam/sir,

We would like to thank you for your overall positive feedback as it will surely help future guests to get an overall idea of the hotel.

We are looking forward to your next stay.

The hotel management

Write a ReviewReviews (3,578)

Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

I am currently in hotel and watching a food demonstration which is very funny and interesting.The hotel is great only thing wrong with hotel is it needs a lick of paint the food is excellent and theres lots to choose from. Im enjoying my stay here and would recommend the hotel to anybody i also would just like to say a well done to the animation team they really do try to get everyone involved and make you entertain you.

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank denise1967

Dear madam/sir,

We are happy you are enjoying your stay with us and would like to thank you for your feedback.

We hope you will come back again in future.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Except of the fact that the room need some renovation regarding the furniture everything is perfect: food, drinks, location, reception, pool area, entertainment.....................................................

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mitjeni
DireccionIslaBonita, Director de Relaciones Públicas at LABRANDA Isla Bonita, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2014

Dear madam / sir,

We would like to thank you for your friendly comment. Feedback helps us to improve our services and we are pleased to read that we have met your expectations.

We are happy you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

We booked as a party of 7 - our rooms (apartments) were of good size and immaculately clean - fresh bed linen & towels every day - which in my opinion is the most important thing after all when on holiday you really only use the room to change and sleep in! In fact everywhere in the hotel & grounds was clean, tidy and presentable. For the size of the hotel the noise levels were very good, one of our rooms was next to the lift, but we were never disturbed by it at all and in general there was never any rowdiness. Piped music around the pool was always appropriate to the time of day and not so loud as to drown you out! I didn't particularly enjoy the 'entertainment' - the same animation team worked from early morning until close every day that I was there, dealing with children's entertainment, poolside activities, games and the adult shows in the evening - Jacks of all trades, but master's of none unfortunately; it was cheesy and cringing at times and the 'crew' mimed to every song. The all inclusive drink choices were very good - poolside were 'help yourself' to beer, water, fruit juice and all soft fizzy drinks and in the restaurant along with these, wine was also 'help yourself'. By the main stage area (courtyard) the two bars served all spirits, mixers, ice-cream and beers - at times both these bars could get busy, but the queues moved very quickly. The poolside snacks weren't up to much - sandwiches (only one, maybe two choices), cake or pastry - none of which were refrigerated so went 'curly and soggy very quickly) but fresh fruit was available all day long. The biggest disappointment was meal times for me, not that the choices weren't good enough - far from it (apart from vegetarian options) there was always a couple or more meat and fish options along with chips, rice, pasta, canarian potatoes and soggy vegetables - unfortunately the vegetarian option was often chips, rice pasta, potatoes or soggy vegetables and nothing that I would call a 'substantial' or satisfying meal. What I found so disappointing was: Inadequate amount of tables in general (big tip - get a table and mark it as your 'territory' before even attempting to get any food). The staff were overworked to get tables cleared and cleaned quick enough for someone else to use and most disappointing of all - the food (all buffet style) was sat under inadequate heat lamps, dry but most importantly barely luke warm, I would go so far as to say cold all the time - so much so, that after the first couple of meals I gave up on the hot option and headed straight for the salad bar, which was well stocked and tasty with a choice of dressings... after all, why fight to shovel down a meal that's supposed to be hot & end up with indigestion, when you can eat a meal that supposed to be cold and enjoy it! Breakfast was probably the most relaxed meal time - lunch and dinner always seemed very canteen like (which is what is was in truth), noisy and rushed.
Overall I enjoyed my stay - I was amazed at the excellent value for money; I didn't have any pre-conceived expectations other than cleanliness and that didn't disappoint me at all. The location and area of the hotel was brilliant - a very easy 10 minute stroll to beautiful beaches, bus stop right outside - the market (Thursday & Saturday) just around the corner and plenty of shops, bars and restaurants all within easy reach. I liked it there regardless of the downs, the overall experience was well worth it!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
5  Thank Gina B

Dear madam/sir,

We would like to thank you for your extensive and positive feedback as it will surely help future guests to get an overall idea of the hotel.

We are looking forward to your next stay.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

I've been holidaying at Isla Bonita for the past 7 years and it never disappoints.
Reception are courteous and helpful. The rooms are basic but fine and very clean.
The food choice is plentiful and is generally v nice. We ate outside the hotel just once this year.
The entertainment team are fantastic and remember everyone by name which is a nice, personal touch. Games during the day were great fun, and apart from snake shows/the odd band, the night entertainment was fun! Games, quizzes etc.
Overall a fantastic holiday. I couldn't fault Isla Bonita

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank hggty

Dear madam/sir,

We are happy you have enjoyed another stay with us and would like to thank you for your feedback, it has been very helpful.

We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed June 23, 2014

This is actually a very hard review to write as when you examine elements singularly the hotel is ok for the price that was paid. We travelled as a couple with our 19 month old son meeting up with family and friends who were all too travelling as families with children from 6 months to 9 years old:

CHECK IN - was smooth, no problems, had to leave either a €60 refundable deposit or credit card no.

ROOM - we specifically booked a refurbished pool view room (B421), so for the extra £100-£150 for the week we had newer furniture, memory foam mattress and a flat screen tv, Debatable as to whether it was worth it from that perspective give the amount of time you are in the room but from a location perspective it was quiet (would not have wanted to have a room close to the entertainment area!). The rooms were a very good size with a large separate bedroom and sitting area with fold down bed and sofa bed, there was also a very dated kitchenette with fridge, oven and hob, obviously from the days when the hotel was perhaps self catering. Balcony had a little two seater table and chairs but disappointingly never got any sun, as I like to sit and catch the last of the sun with a cuppa while the other half and now the little one have a siesta before dinner. The room was right by the lift which for us was great, no noise because of that though.

RESTAURANT - although a big deal is made at check in of the requirement for gentlemen to wear long trousers for evening dinner very few actually did and no-one wearing shorts that I saw was turned away. It is a very large dining room which being below the ground floor was devoid of much natural light. Like most buffet restaurants of this type of all inclusive holidays that I have been on, you just want to get in eat and get out as the surroundings don't ooze stay here and enjoy a leisurely meal, whether breakfast, lunch, or dinner. As the main meals part of the buffet was laid out in a big long line there was this sort of queuing system for this main meals part of the buffet which could be very long and frustrating if you were only trying to get at one element which fell at the end of the run but you had to join the queue for everything to get at it. Waiting staff were a little slow in clearing plates and often they were never cleared during our meal. Drinks were available self serve at either end of the buffet which was good and there was a designated family area with a very small area for the kids to play in with some plastic chairs, soft play blocks and a couple of seesaws. There were an abundance of high chairs which was good.

FOOD - I wouldn't necessarily say this was any worse or any better than I have had at any other cheap all inclusive hotel, there was a vast selection for break fast, lunch and dinner. There was always meat, fish and vegetarian options, plus a large salad bar, bread station and dessert station. Like all food of this nature when trying to cater for hundreds of people the food gets a bit samey and bland after a few days of it. We ended up eating out for 4 of the 7 nights we were there but I am sure we could have found something edible to satisfy hunger if we'd wanted to. We just wanted to eat better tasting food. There is no picnic option offered if you are going out for the day so we ended up making up some baguettes at breakfast (plenty of cheese, salami, ham and salad available) and wrapping them up in serviettes and sneaking them out in our bags, though note you aren't meant to take food out of the restaurant so if you get caught trying the waiting staff will quite bluntly and rudely tell you you are breaching hotel/restaurant policy. Snacks were put out on the pool bar counters, get in quick as these were not refrigerated so things got sweaty and unappetising relatively quickly.

BAR - The pool bars are all self service with tea/coffee machines, fruit juice machines, water, soft drinks and beer available. The main bar in the entertainment/seating area again had this whole queuing thing going on, there were two large bars with each having two bar tenders, these could have easily accommodated another two bar tenders to eliminate the queuing which again was frustrating and off putting when you came to get drinks especially in an evening when each queue could be 20-30 people deep at its longest, though they did move quite quickly. Just know exactly what you want to order before you get there and if you want a few different drinks say them all straight away, don't wait for one drink to be prepared before you reel off your list as they will have already asked the next person what they want. Also be aware that spirits wise they do not have local brands of everything available on the All Inc. your run of the mill whiskey, dark rum, vodka, gin, peach schnapps are but not coconut rum or amaretto to my disappointment, it is definitely worth going to the main bar when it is quiet and examining the bar menu as to what is and isn't included though note there is only one of this menu on each bar, they are not dotted about on tables.

FACILITIES - there are two main pools and two children's pools, the pools by block A are the heated ones. Yes there is sunbed reserving but show me a hotel that actually doesn't have this or a hotel that enforces its no reserving rules. We went down at around 7:30am and there was a relatively good choice, by 9:30am when the pools officially open you are lucky to get beds (note though the official doors to the pool are not opened till 9:30am there are other ways of getting to the pools you just have to find them). The pools were regularly tested and cleaned and one day when someone kindly threw up in the pool (speculation) the pool was closed and people were stopped from entering it which I did think was responsible on the part of the hotel. The down side to the pool areas was the lack of general fun and atmosphere of a family holiday hotel, there are no inflatables allowed in the main pools full stop, not even baby floating rings. Inflatables were only allowed in the 40cm deep children's pools... really safe for the babies/toddlers trying to use these pools when the older children are using their inflatable boats, lilos, whales, dolphins, etc. because they are not allowed in the main pool. There is no background music on round the pool and if other guests are not open to your music tastes you can forget a speaker, so if your a music lover its headphones and no conversation with your family and friends time. There was a kids club but I cannot really comment on what it was like as our little boy was too young, 3 up I believe. There is a well used small park with a slide, seesaw and 2 swings (note there was no baby swing). There were some unkempt tennis courts, a little used impressive sports hall, an unmaintained gym with what appeared broken equipment, some what appeared to be little used outdoor buildings for activities, a sort of arcade targeted at children with lots of bouncy ball and sweets machines with a vending machine containing toiletries as well as condoms and pleasure lube's...appropriate placement is debateable??? and a payable bar (note this was the only place the hotel showed any of the world cup action).

ENTERTAINMENT - we didn't really partake in any of the daytime activities with having a toddler but they appeared to have a small range of activities going on. Personally we didn't think much of the entertainment scheduled and as we were out quite a lot in the evening we only say a small amount of it so cannot really comment. The biggest disappointment came more from the entertainment area itself, there was no dance floor as such, just a stage with a long catwalk about a metre or so high that ran down the length of the seating area, so no where for kids (or adults) to go off an dance or really get close to the entertainment and definitely not suitable for letting a toddler do a bit of independent walking/dancing. It was crammed full of seats and tables but even this was not sufficient for the number of guests so getting a seat was difficult and even more so trying to get in with a pushchair when it was busy. It certainly didn't feel family friendly.

OVERALL - so I hope you can kind of get the gist that independently all of the elements were ok but collectively the place just got on your nerves. I know it was relatively cheap and as such you expect things to just be ok. For us we were a family group intentionally on a cheapy deal in the sun in a part of Tenerife loved by the family given main holidays are later in the year, so expectations were not necessarily high, but the lack of fun holiday atmosphere around the pool, the excessive queuing, the inappropriateness of the entertainment area for young children, and the overall unwelcoming feel of the place mean I would never return there and I would not recommend it anyone. In one bar we were told by the owners who have been there over 20 years that it has a bad reputation with locals from the comments of customers into the bars and restaurants.
If you look at the list of hotels in Costa Adeje on trip advisor this one rates as no. 35 out of 38 I think that speaks volumes.

Room Tip: In B421 was close to lifts, entrance door overlooked back of hotel and balcony overlooked pool in B...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
9  Thank Sammyh80
DireccionIslaBonita, Director de Relaciones Públicas at LABRANDA Isla Bonita, responded to this reviewResponded July 3, 2014

Dear madam/sir,

We would like to thank you for your extensive and feedback as it will surely help future guests to get an overall idea of the hotel.

We are sorry if we have not met all of your expectations, but happy your overall rating of the hotel was positive. We do hope to see you back in future.

Reviewed June 22, 2014

This hotel is great 3 pools good food, beer, and staff. Animation team brilliant will definately go back there. When you go down the front 15 min walk and you will find a british pub called The Lodge run by Dave and his Mrs, food is great and sunday roast is a must also they cook real chips not frozen rubbish. All in all a great cheap holiday.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank pjd114
DireccionIslaBonita, Gerente at LABRANDA Isla Bonita, responded to this reviewResponded June 29, 2014

Dear madam / sir,

We are happy you enjoyed your stay and hope to see you again soon.