“Isla Bonita, Costa Adeje, Tenerife”

LABRANDA Isla Bonita
Ranked #49 of 57 Hotels in Costa Adeje
“Isla Bonita, Costa Adeje, Tenerife”
Reviewed November 24, 2013

My friend and I were at this hotel between the 10th and 18th November 2013 for a winter break. This was my fourth visit to this hotel, my friends first time. We stayed all-inclusive booking through EasyJet holidays.

I returned to this hotel primarily for two reasons, a) its a perfect location in a more upmarket area than the noisier Playa Las Americas and b) after previously enjoying what was a good value package with reasonable food and drinks.

Sadly I will probably not consider returning to this hotel for several reasons as follows:-

Food - on previous visits to this hotel I enjoyed reasonably good food with nothing much to complain about. Unfortunately on this occasion I found the food to be of a very poor standard, not as varied and often not cooked thoroughly enough. I even suffered food poisoning one day, which I can only put down to undercooked pork chops. Most of the show cooking is served far too quickly to satisfy impatient clients who do not like to wait, rather than waiting for it to be cooked properly. My mistake with the pork chop was to assume it was cooked because it was put to one side of the grill while the chef continued cooking other chops. The chef placed it on my plate obviously of the opinion it was fully cooked and fit to serve. This was the only meat I ate that day having had salad for lunch. Thinking back to my previous visit to this hotel in March I recall being ill on one day of that holiday but put it down to a bug, it could also have been down to food poisoning.

Poolside snacks were not very good with little choice, stale rolls with cheese or meat. Some not so bad doughnuts and the odd nice cake but nothing special at all. Better to go to lunch in the restaurant if you choose carefully what you eat!

Drinks - on previous visits to this hotel the soft drinks were branded, i.e. proper Cola, Fanta etc. On this visit they had changed the soft drinks to non-branded what could only be described as local soft drinks. These local soft drinks tasted awful, god knows how children put up with them let alone adults. During the day I like a Cola or Fanta rather than beers or spirits but this trip I ended up drinking water most times. Even the water is not that brilliant and at the pool bars takes ages to pour as it is basically a trickle being pumped out of the taps. In the restaurant it was much better with the water pressure being more like you would expect.

Now considering the soft drinks are awful, you can imagine that adding them as a mixer to a spirit is not going to be great either. Whiskey and cola, Rum and cola or whatever you choose to drink is spoilt by adding these rubbish soft drink mixers. Its bad enough that local spirits are used but to add local soft drinks as well - absolute rubbish!!!!! I realise that local spirits are common on all-inclusive deals but most taste better than what is now offered at the Isla Bonita. The changes they have made may save the hotel money but guests will maybe not return because of this.

Rooms - we were lucky to get a refurbished room at the front of the hotel on floor four (412B) which whilst it was kept clean it was not brilliant. The lounge and bedroom were refurbished but the bathroom not, soap dispenser over the sink missing, drilled holes in tiles from previous accessories not filled in etc. Basically they did two thirds of a job, leaving the bathroom untouched. Oh and the kitchen area though not used is still untouched and untidy. Lighting is very dim and dismal except for daytime when you can open the curtains. The worst thing about the room we had was noise from the road - being near the hotel entrance and bus stop there were constant coach drop-offs and buses stopping at all times of the day and night. Ear plugs were essential.

Staff - staff are generally helpful and polite but the bar service in the Plaza bar is very slow with queues building up at busier times. Not the bar staff's fault as they only have one serving sometimes. Cleaners do the rooms daily and work hard. Reception staff were helpful and efficient. The entertainment is as usual geared to families and whilst it didn't suit me and my friend it was obviously good for children and parents who like that sort of thing.

Location - the best reason for my staying here is the location, its away from the noisy Playa Las Americas but near to lots of nice bars and restaurants near St Eugens area. Near to several beaches and shopping areas. Also only a two mile walk to La Caleta which is a lovely little fishing village with some nice Tapas bars and fish restaurants.

All in all not my best weeks holiday in Costa Adeje due to being confined to bed with food poisoning for a day to two and the disappointment of the food and drink. The weather was a bit cloudy too so that also put a bit of a dampener on things. Sadly, I think this hotel will not be on my list of places to visit again in the future unless it is the only one in my price range as some other deals are getting very expensive. Shop around if booking here as I know a couple who got the same holiday as me and my friend for £200 less both flying from North West airports.

I understand from certain staff at the hotel that whilst we were there the ownership of the hotel was changing hands to a German company. Now whether that will improve or worsen the hotels reputation is yet to be determined - time alone will be the answer to that.

Room Tip: High floors, not at the front of the hotel (roadside) to get some peace and quiet at night times.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank malc1957
adonishotelsresorts, Director of Sales at LABRANDA Isla Bonita, responded to this review, November 25, 2013
Dear Madam/Sir,
We thank you for your review and would like to express our regret that this time you didn’t fully enjoy your stay at our hotel.
In deed it is true that the hotel changed management few weeks ago and there are plans to finish the refurbishing activities and improve the level of service.
So we understand your disappointment, especially if you compare your stay with your previous experiences at Isla Bonita.
We are doing our best to improve everything in order to satisfy our customers' needs ad we hope to see you again!
Kind regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (883)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Motherwell, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 24, 2013

Very dated hotel, never 4 star, maybe 20 years ago. if you like fish or then pork this is the place for you, beef and chicken dishes were a rarity. If you are going then steer clear of block b, we were in room 207b and as it was above the restaurant it stunk every night of fish. I know it was a cheap holiday and you get what you pay for but I have been in 3 star hotels that were far superior to this. Also when you arrive you need to leave a deposit of 60 euros in case of any damage to the room, what a joke considering the furniture in the room would have cost a total of 20 euros considering the state of it. The drinks were ok but they did run out of the basics such as baileys. The entertainment was geared for families which was fare enough as we went out most nights, the pass mark would be for the entertainment team who were superb throughout the day.

Room Tip: Steer clear of block b above the restuarant.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank sanders24
Dear Madam,
We thank you for your review and would like to express our regret that you didn’t fully enjoy your stay at our hotel.
Regarding the deposit upon check-in, this is published with the tour operators and on the website, we regret if you might not have been informed about it by your Travel Agent, but all Tour Operators are informed. This deposit is to cover eventual costs such as safe hire and telephone bills and can be paid either with credit card number or in cash. At the end of the stay the deposit is refunded (minus eventual costs such as the safe hire) as you know.
We would like to add that Isla Bonita has been refurbished during several occasions and recently 150 double rooms have been completely refurbished and renovated, offering an updated and elegant alternative to our customers. This option comes with a small extra charge and your Tour Operator should have informed you about this possible option, providing you with availability and price and avoiding any disappointment.
Despite your review we hope to see you again at Isla Bonita.

Travelers are raving about these Costa Adeje hotels

Southwater, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2013

My husband and I returned on Thursday from a week’s holiday staying at Isla Bonita. Our first impression of this hotel was not good.
This is definitely not a 4 star hotel, which is what we were told when we booked. Quite frankly I do not know how they are allowed to say it is. You only have to walk down the road and look at other 4 star hotels and you will see the difference. We would rate Isla Bonita at 2/3 star. We have never stayed at a hotel where you have to pay a 60 euro deposit in case you damage something or take a pool towel home with you; also you have to pay for the hire of a safe in your room
Food is only just warm, paper tablecloths! 4 stars, I don't think so! On our last day they gave us a voucher for our lunch, I don't know why as no one checks who is coming into the restaurant, I still have the voucher! They would not serve us at the bar before lunch on our last day even though this was the seventh day out of seven days paid for.
Dress code for restaurant specifically says long trousers must be worn in the evening, but again there were men and women in shorts.
We certainly won't be returning or recommending this hotel to anyone.

Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Generation3
Dear Madam/Sir,
We thank you for your review and would like to express our regret that you didn’t enjoy your stay at our hotel.
As for the food, we offer ample variety with various choices of meat, fish, vegetables, pasta, rice, salads and not to forget our desserts. Reposition is done on a regular basis, as well as the checking of the temperatures. Further than that we would like to comment that all our food is fresh and prepared by our qualified kitchen staff. Anyway, we are sorry our menu wasn’t up to your taste and we always suggest our customers to ask for special dishes and whenever it is possible we try to satisfy every single request.
As you know every resort has its own policy and rules regarding some of the issues you mentioned (long trousers, towels at the pool, drinks,etc.) and all the information you need to fully enjoy your stay were given to you at your arrival.
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 22, 2013

Just returned from a week at Isla Bonita with my boyfriend & I'm happy to say we had a brilliant time. For how cheap it was we were pleasantly surprised at how good it was. No the foods not the worlds best & what do you expect for the price you pay here? Plenty of choice at meal times & all hot food is cooked in front of you so it's fresh, genuinely wonder why people moan. Room was huge & clean, we had a lovely view over looking the pool. The entertainment team are fantastic, not just for kids but for adults too. We saw a variety of shows including a bird show, magician & acrobatics. The only thing I would have liked is for the pool bars to serve snacks at lunch times as meals were only served in the restaurant, but that's just my preference. As for Costa Adeje, it's brilliant. The hotel is a 10 minute walk from the sea front where there are loads of bars and restaurants. We stayed in Los Cristianos last time & both agree we much prefer Costa Adeje, the place has a great feel about. Isla Bonita is great value for money & we would definitely return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Bcooper91
Dear Madam/Sir,
We thank you for your comment as feedback from our guests help us to keep our services at the highest possible level and we appreciate your positive evaluation. At the same time we hope it is equally helpful to others who are searching on the web their holiday destination in Tenerife. The fact that you, as well as a large part of our customers, intend to come back to stay again at Isla Bonita speaks for itself.
As you experienced during your stay our mission is providing our customers a "holiday home" experience with a cozy atmosphere and a friendly service!
All the Staff & Management thank you and we are looking forward to seeing you again.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 21, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for two weeks from 29 October. The food was awful, hot food was only warm, you were lucky to get a plate, if you did you could not get any cutlery. Our bathroom was not washed once in two weeks, I left things to see if they had been moved - no! I had to wash the bathroom floor myself. I complained to management, but that was pointless. Definitely only a 2 star rating. There was nowhere for non smokers to sit, as sitting outside in the evening it was like sitting in a fog wherever we moved to. When the rain came through the ceiling to the lower level, the toilets were an inch under water, rain came through the restaurant ceiling, unbelievable.We've stayed in Tenerife many years, even at 2star hotels, and this was the worst we have ever experienced.My partner was told on arrival at reception to wear long trousers in the restaurant in the evening, which he always does - don't know why as hardly anyone else did, absolutely disgraceful going to dinner in the evening in shorts and tshirt.

Room Tip: Rooms A141 - 145 very quiet
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mrs R
Dear Madam,
We thank you for your review and would like to express our regret that you did not enjoy your stay at our resort.
Regarding the heavy rainfall and consequently partial flooding in the dining room we did ask the guests if they were alright but first priority at the time was to deal with the problem (which we think was dealt quickly). We would like to add that the amount of water that rained that day is – luckily – very exceptional for the south of the island. After the problem with the rain we indeed had to do some maintenance work to prevent the same problem from happening.
Despite your review we hope you might stay at our resort in future.
Regards,
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I would never stay there again not a four star food cold some nights, the rooms are clean but needs modernisation, the staff was very good, 15 min to beach. men are to wear long trousers for dinner but we see lot of men in long shorts I have stayed in better 3 star hotels

Room Tip: try not to get a block bottom floor no sun on room
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Karen M
adonishotelsresorts, Director of Sales at LABRANDA Isla Bonita, responded to this review, November 21, 2013
Dear Karen,
Regarding the food however we would like to comment that temperatures are being checked constantly and is prepared by our qualified staff. As far as variety is concerned we offer various sorts of meat, fish, and vegetables, rice, pastas, and potatoes, show cooking and themed evenings. Reposition is done on a regular basis, as is the checking of the temperatures.
Isla Bonita has been refurbished during several occasions and recently 150 double rooms have been completely refurbished and renovated, offering an updated and elegant alternative to our customers. This option comes with a small extra charge and your Tour Operator should have informed you about this possible option, providing you with availability and price and avoiding any initial disappointment.
Despite your review we hope to see you soon at Adonis Resorts in Tenerife!
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Lovely hotel stayed with my partner, children and friends. The all inclusive gets abit repetitive by the second week of our stay, when booking gentleman are made aware they have to wear long trousers to dinner. While we were having dinner a few times gentleman were in the restaurant in shorts and track suit bottoms and no staff sent them away to get changed, one rule for one and another for other guests. Also couple of evenings children running around the restaurant without any adult supervision and no staff told them to stop or where there adult was. And you have to get your own drinks at dinner time no waitress service. Food was replenished quite often at breakfast, lunch and dinner. Pools were nice and big enough at busy times of the day, but the no balls and lilos in the pool I can't understand as there was a lifeguard on duty at all times. One problem which was annoying with young children having to get up at 6AM to get a bed by the pool. Rooms were a good size and cleaned very often. One evening we went to book the BBQ for the whole family the couple of days beforehand which was was told do to, upon booking was told it was fully booked so we ate out at a restaurant instead of the hotel, when arriving back to the hotel after our meal out the BBQ was empty which we couldn't understand as we was told it was fully booked!!!! Entertainment team was brill for the kids but not a lot for the adults. If you are on the floors opposite where the entertainment takes place no luck of an early night! There are bars, shops and restaurant a 10minute walk if you wanted to get out the hotel. Other than the moans we had a great family holiday.

Room Tip: Request not in front of entertainment stage.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
adonishotelsresorts, Director of Sales at LABRANDA Isla Bonita, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Natasha,
We suggest to book a superior room facing the pool so that for a small amount of money you can enjoy our newly refurbished rooms and more P&Q.
We are sorry for the misunderstanding regarding your booking at the BBQ, you could eventually try it next time!