“Certainly not a 4 star”

Tagoro Family & Fun Costa Adeje
Ranked #25 of 60 Hotels in Costa Adeje
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed February 24, 2013 via mobile

Although the staff were very friendly and helpful, this cannot hide the fact that this hotel is not a 4 star. The rooms are extremely dated and the restaurant in need of several licks of paint. The rooms were serviced everyday which was good but the air con in the rooms was not reliable. I don't think I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Just returned today from 5 days at the tagora and was dissapointed with the quality.
location- on a steephill overlooking Playa da las Americas. 15 minute walkt to beach and a long climb back. Taxi 3.65 euros back though. Not good location for elderly or disabled due to steepness of the hill and steps in the complex. Courtesy bus does run though several times a day.

Rooms- Very clean. Maid service every day with clean towels. Dated furniture and TV. I would recommend hiring a room safe at 2 euros per day as patio doors do not have very good locks. TV you have to hire a remote( money back at end) but then have to pay 18.75 euros a week for some SKY channels. Lots of noise as well from rooms around moving furniture. Does have a kitchen area with fridge but you have to ask for cups etc which will be supplied. Another tip which I did was to email the hotel direct and ask for a pool view which I got, again brilliant staff.

Pool Area- Too small for the amount of people even in low season. Sun beds are chained up till 9a.m and people are stood by them from 8.30. Pool bar had one person serving both food and drink most of the day and you could wait 10mins to be served sometimes. Food in pool bar was hot dog, burger and chips, mostly luke warm. All inclusive runs from 11 am-11 pm and after that time you pay for drinks.

Restaurant- Dissapointing. You have to choose a time for your eveng meal. 6.30pm till 8, or 8 till 9. You can'tchange this. We chose 8 but you then had maybe 200people going in at 8 and it was elbow room only. All the food was buffet style in one circular area so say when you got your meat you could que for 20mins getting the rest of your food, crazy. The quality of food was poor and same choice every night apart from changes in the meat served. Breakfast was the best meal whith food ranging from pastries to the full English.

Entertainment- The animation staff worked very hard all day and night to keep adults and kids entertained with games mini disco etc but the bar area on the evening was too small and again one person serving at the bar meaning 10 mins wait sometimes.

All in all I would say this hotel was an average 3 star and not 4. The whole place is friendy and staff cannot do enough for you but their are not enough of them. The catering side really lets it down together with the organizing of this. When we go all inclusive we like a certain ammount of quality, good food, not having to que, to be served sometimes and not have so strict meal times. The management need t o look at addressing some of these issues and this hotel could be a 4star, but not now. To end I must reiterate the quality and helpfullness of the staff but we would not return.

Room Tip: email the hotel direct and ask if it's possible for a pool view etc. They will take account of t...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Andy6466
Reviewed February 18, 2013

It was a good choice for the family holiday with grandchildren enjoying the pool and selection of food at breakfast, lunch and dinner always keeping everyone happy. Having stayed at other all inclusive hotels we were disappointed to find that this is not the case here. Certain drinks are not included and after 11pm all drinks have to be paid for. It did not spoil the holiday though as staff were excellent, friendly and helpful, speaking excellent English. The children's entertainment each evening was enthusiastic and fun and the kids loved it.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank boots65
Reviewed February 16, 2013

Staff were all friendly and helpful. We have never gone all inclusive before but nothing to worry about there. The food was great, lots of variety, even my daughters found something they could enjoy!! Great place for families, or couples. Clean and tidy. The daily bar snacks lacked some imagination - but with that much quality food available at the proper meal times it wasn`t a problem. We enjoyed it that much we are already re-booking.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Pauline L
Reviewed February 10, 2013

Ok the hotel is clean and tidy, it is not 4 star, perhaps when it opened yes but really does need a uplift. Very old now.
Pool is very nice you have to wait until 9 to get a bed as they are all chained up!
The food is not very good and not hot, the snacks in the morning and afternoon is Hamburger, hotdog and Chips so if a veggie you have to make to with a cuecumber sandwich.
Bar does not open until 11am so only drink you can get is breakfast drinks.
I do not do All Inclusive very often so was glad we were only staying the one night, i wonder how people can eat the same food day after day, especailly seeing the breakfast sauasage used in a pasta dish at lunch time

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank UkCags
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Ive been to Tenerife many times, and have learned to take the 4-star rating with a pinch of salt however Villa Tagoro is deserving of this rating.

The low-rise setting is lovely and creates a peaceful space where you can relax. There is a large pool as well as a small kids one, plenty of sunbeds and a poolside bar which also serves snacks during the brief times where the restaurant isint open. There is also a games room, wifi, massage room,tennis court, kids area and a supermarket.

Accomodation:

I was in room 28 which was on the ground floor with a large terrace. Considering it was next to the pool bar area it was extremely peaceful. The room was more of an apartment with a living area with small kitchen and breakfast bar, bedroom and bathroom. I cannot stress how comfortable the beds were - I havent slept as well in YEARS! The water pressure in the shower was fantastic and despite showering several times daily, there was always plenty of hot water. Although we were all-inclusive, being able to use the fridge in the kitchen area was very much appreciated and allowed us to keep extra drinks nice and cool :) The air-con worked well and didnt keep me awake! The room was cleaned daily by Cani who was friendly and thorough......she also noticed we had used the blankets as additional pillows and provided us with pillows so we could use the blankets when it got chilly.

Food:

All meals are served buffet-style and dinner is served in 2 sittings. Men are asked to wear trousers for the evening meal, which is a nice touch.

You need to remember that this hotel is catering for many different nationalities and the food reflects this. However, you will not go hungry as there is always something you will like - you can even mix and match dishes to create something you do like. My one big complaint about the food however, is the frankfurter sausages. I appreciate they are there to appeal to the German guests, but one morning there was THREE frankfurter dishes! This, in my opinion, is crazy as the local Canarian sausages are delicious but I only saw these once (a lunchtime special). Please Villa Tagoro - introduce your wonderful local sausages into the breakfast menu! (And please, dont put frankfurters in the sushi again! lol!)

The chinese night was lovely, the breakfast pancakes yummy and the Canarian carrots are simply divine! :) Pasta and a lovely selection of salads is always available too if you just fancy a light meal.

A word of warning for British guests in particular - rabbit is served. This is a traditional meat and I have no problem with it being served or other people eating it, but some people may be alarmed to see it available.

A paella or risotto is served each evening and tastes fantastic - although when it is a meat variety thats on offer and you are not a fan of rabbit, ask the chef. "Perdón, esto contiene conejo?" means "excuse me, does this contain rabbit" - a request which was always answered honestly and with an understanding tone.....the chef was never offended :)

For the kids, they also have their own special buffet area which is a lovely thought and was appreciated by the kids I saw going up to it - it made them feel special and ensured there was always something they liked too.

Soft drinks, beer, wine, water, tea and coffee is all available in the restaurant on a self-service basis.

Bars:

There are 2 bars - one pool side and one beside the restaurant. Because its low season, only one was open at a time, but this was no problem. Serving alcoholic and non alcoholic drinks theres something for everyone. The staff understand english quite well, but are happy to teach you the spanish for your favourite tipple. Two drinks per-person may be a pain for large groups, but for me, it proved to be no problem.

Entertainment:

The annimation team are fun and full of energy. I didnt take part in any of their activities, but those who did looked to enjoy themselves. There is a show every evening too, which I didnt take in as I chose to go into town to meet friends.

Staff:

One word - wonderful! I have never seen a staff introduction at a hotel before, but there was a special one complete with cocktails, where the head of each department was introduced to the guests. I liked this as you knew who to go to if you did have a problem.

I feel this is the point to commend Mercedes on the great job she is doing at the hotel. As an employer myself, I can see the efforts she has made in creating a good place to work - I didnt see unhappy staff which is a good indicator that they are treated well and valued by their boss. I also have alot of time for management who actually go out and work with guests instead of hiding in an office :)

Reception are cheery and helpful, Cami our maid was friendly and excellent all round, the bar staff cannot be faulted, the annimation team were bouncy and fun, the restaurant staff friendly and efficient and the chef was extremely kind to me. Even the life guard kept the pool immaculate and looked good too. All in, Ive never seen such a well-run brigade of staff.

Two days before our departure, we recieved a letter informing us what time our airport transfer was due to collect us. We were meant to call this ourselves, but the hotel organised it for us. On our last night we recieved a thank you letter - a lovely gesture which may be small, but it makes the guest feel valued.

Extra Info:

Although all inclusive, dont let that keep you in the hotel as there is a whole lot to do! So what if you miss a meal in the hotel - get out there lol!

The hotel is set back from the main tourist area, which is lovely. A 10 min walk downhill will take you into Torviscas where there are bars, shops and restuarants (I recommend Restaurant Sebastian as a special treat - read my review!). If you fancy doing some excursions, go to Gift Excursions as they are not pushy in the slightest, and being part of the "Green Banana" scheme, can actually get you discounts on your trips or meals if you eat out. This trip company are happy enough to advise you on anything and will book for you IF YOU ASK THEM TO - they will not push you into anything atall or give you the hard sell. It is British owned, so that may make the difference.

The Wigan Pier bar at the bottom of the hill you walk down to get into town serves the best British grub in the area (for fellow Scots, they even have square sausage, potato scones and Irn-Bru). Most of the bars show live football or have live entertainment every night - opposite the Gift Excursions shop there is a street...50 yards up is a lane with several brit-bars with quiz nights etc on. On the main road in front of the lane is Bobbins - a Scottish/Rangers pub.

Overview:

Fantastic stay with no issues. Although we were all inclusive, we chose to use the hotel more as a base because we have friends who live in the area. I will definately be back to Villa Tagoro as soon as I can! Thank you for a wonderful time.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
17  Thank thesloaneranger
Reviewed February 5, 2013

have been to this hotel many times have always had a great time staff are fantastic i have been there just with my husband but also been with my daughter and family and son and family it caters for every age group will always go back would highly recommend for anybody to go to this hotel

Room Tip: corner rooms are great size
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family