“Overrated hotel”
Review of H10 Gran Tinerfe

H10 Gran Tinerfe
Ranked #13 of 61 Hotels in Costa Adeje
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I have just retuned - 26.7 after a weeks stay. I have never been to Tenerife before, but was recommended to the hotel/resort.

This hotel has been rated a 4 star which is way too high for its quality and the service it provides.

The hotel is all about "charging for extras" these are the figures I was asked to pay - for a bucket of ice - 6 euros, to unlock and use the fridge in the room, no stock 20 euros a week, to unlock and use the room safe - 10 euros a week. What a rip off

Any good quality 4 star hotel would provide these services FOC. The tour reps were not interested in my complaint of the above and showed a general couldn't care less attitude.

The general restaurant is just average with the quality of food that it lays out on the buffets for Bkfst and dinner.

As ever, if your not up at dawn and have your towel on the deck chairs, you won't get a seat after 0930!! You also have to pay 15 euros deposit on your towel, refunded at the end of stay.

On mon 22nd renovation work started on the room above us started at 0730hrs , finished at 1700hrs - drilling banging etc. no warning or apologies given by hotel. Could'nt change rooms as the place was full. Work stopped on wednesday pm.

The location of the hotel within the resort area was good.

We will not be going back again.

Room Tip: Sea facing - 3rd floor and above
4  Thank Ian W
Write a ReviewReviews (3,982)

Reviewed July 29, 2013

From the moment we arrived at the hotel we were treated fabulously. The staff were kind and attentive but also allowed you the space to explore as you felt necessary. The check-in was speedy but informative and we were very pleasantly surprised to find that we had been given the junior suite on the 11th floor- it was amazing! We had balconies all around us with great views of the sea and the mountain landscape. The hotel has the most excellent location and allows for the quiet life or to be right in the hub of the nightlife depending on personal preferences. The food was brilliant and varied which meant that you never got fed up by the repetitiveness of it all. The pool and sunbed arrangement of no towels before 10 meant that people could enjoy being on holiday without getting up at the crack of dawn. Again, another plus! The hotel itself is peaceful, relaxing and very easy to enjoy. There are so many little bits added on here that we have not experienced at other hotels abroad despite going yearly. The fact that the maid comes back in the early evening with a chocolate and asks if you need anything pretty much says it all? There were absolutely NO downsides to the holiday at all and that is rare! Go if you get the chance:)

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor- you get to see so much more!
4  Thank Alexandra T
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We have just returned from our 6th holiday in Tenerife, first time at a H10 hotel which was 14 days HB. (9th/23rd July.) We were very impressed with the Gran Tinerfe. The staff makes this place – always pleasant, friendly “holas” whether it is cleaning, maintenance, reception, bar, entertainment or restaurant personnel.

The hotel is well maintained and kept very clean. We could not fault the cleaners for room 1002 whilst we were there. Although not a sea-view room there was a marvellous panorama of the surrounding mountains, including Teide, from the balcony.

We enjoyed the food and thought it well presented with a good choice every night including a main course prepared for you as you waited. We chose to eat out on the terrace most nights. Breakfast had a large range that catered for the many nationalities using the hotel. There was also themed evenings offering Sushi, Mexican, Italian – supported by two singing chefs! – and, of course, Spanish cuisine. We did not experience any shortages, particularly ice-cream(!), mentioned in one review, despite our dining time being 8.15pm

We attended most of the evening Entertainment sessions and felt all were very good with several excellent acts – Il Divo and Tamala Motown tributes and Chinese Acrobats particularly. Before you dismiss the hotel entertainment give it go. Remember, the entertainment at H10 GT is not organised by Thomsons!

A gem at H10 is the Entertainment team, namely David, Eva and the “braw lassies”, Cenza and Sara. Cenza and Sara organise most of the activities including Boules, Archery, Rifle shooting, Clay & Table Tennis, etc, and, of course, Bingo. They are very hard working and make the activities fun and enjoyable. I met some great guys at the Boules – John from Edinburgh, Lorenzo and world champion Carlo – and I can tell you with much pride I won the boules on my last day. Such joy! You receive a hand written certificate and tee-shirt when you win an event plus a cocktail voucher if it is the bingo – which I did as well!

The Gran Tinerfe staff has made us think using H10 hotels in other resorts and we hope to return to it for a holiday in the future.

2  Thank andpaul
Reviewed July 29, 2013

This was a first time visit to this hotel for my friend and me. From first entering the hotel to our final departure we were treated like VIP guests, could not have asked for better service what so ever. We were not that keen with the location of our room to begin with so another one was organised for us straight away. Staff could not do enough for you, hotel very clean, large selection of food on offer every meal time. The VIP area was an added bonus to go into every day, great outdoor balcony area where you sip complimentry champagne.
Like anything if you wanted to pick fault you could, but only if you was actually looking for something negative. We loved it and would reccomend highly. (especially one of the receptionists his name was along the lines of (Mi-Mi)

Room Tip: Ask for poolside area
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank m w
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Just returned from another fantastic stay at Gran Tinerfe,we have stayed here for the 3rd year running and enjoyed every minute. Our room was on the 2nd floor with a pool and sea-view as paying that bit extra is well worth the gorgeous view you wake up to every morning. Check in was very quick and the reception staff are very helpful at all times. We were allocated a time for evening meal which you can change if it does not suit, this works so much better as the restaurant was less congested. The food was of a good standard and we always had a few options to choose from, breakfast and dinner were enjoyable so much so we never ate outwith the hotel during our stay. The entertainment was better this year but where the hotel is situated there are plenty of bars who put on entertainment every night .The chill out area is one of our favourite parts of the hotel its so relaxing and the cocktails are very refreshing we managed quite a few during our stay. It would be a personal touch if the hotel acknowledged returning quests, just those little things that make a difference. The pool area is very quiet and totally relaxing, no fight for sun-beds and even in the afternoon we were able to get some. The staff are very pleasant they always acknowledge you, they work very hard to give you a wonderful holiday experience. Overall we had a lovely stay and would highly recommend this hotel to all ages.
Looking forward to return again soon.

Room Tip: Rooms with a sea-view
3  Thank Frews43
Reviewed July 28, 2013

We stayed at H10 Gran Tinerfe 16 – 26th July and I’m afraid my review contains mixed messages (and hope I don’t sound like a grumpy old lady!), but everyone is entitled to their own opinions.

Most of the following reinforces the excellent opinions of others (it’s all true!) and also some of my own views:
• The hotel is in a fantastic location, with direct access to the beach below. Out of the main door and turn right into Las Americas, after a few hundred yards you can drop down onto the promenade and walk right into Los Cristianos along the sea front. Nice and flat, so if you have walking difficulties it is a suitable route to take. Turn left out of the hotel and the road takes you into Costa Adeje, it’s worth noting this route is a bit ‘up hill and down dale’ and not really suitable for folks with walking difficulties.
• Without exception we found every member of staff friendly, polite and helpful, all credit to the H10 management for their training programmes. From the moment you walk into the stylish Reception area, you are made to feel welcome. On arrival you are greeted with a glass of Cava, and seated until your registration is complete – a nice touch.
• I will talk about the ‘Privilege’ package later. For us mere mortals the safety deposit box is 18 euro weekly, 2.70 for additional days and 10 euro refundable deposit. I believe it is a 15 euro deposit for beach towels, and 10 euro weekly for use of the fridge – sorry, I don’t know of other additional charges.
• 3 pools available, two large ‘lagoon’ styles and the other in the ‘Privilege’ area small formal pool, with lots of sunbeds available around the pools and on other terraces. There is no need whatsoever to place towels on the sunbeds to reserve these, there is plenty for everyone – and I would encourage the hotel to enforce the ‘bums on beds’ rule, as towards the end of the holiday I did notice that there was a lot of beds with towels on and the occupants having gone walk-about for hours at a time…. This was especially true on the Terrace we used daily, directly under the Restaurant. This area is worth a particular mention, not sure of the correct name for these type of beds – but my best description would be similar to a Chaise Lounge, with deep filled soft cushions at the head of the bed and along one side, together with a comfortable mattress – pure unadulterated luxury – no trouble keeping our bums on these beds, more like trouble getting them off!
• The food in the main restaurant was well cooked and an excellent choice of dishes available – I would defy anyone not to find something they didn’t like or enjoy. All the staff in this area worked particularly hard, always paying attention to detail, replenishing dishes quickly when required etc. The dining room operates on an allocated timing system in the evening, which I must say worked very well and your allocated time can be easily changed in the morning at the restaurant if you find it’s not convenient. The first two evenings we were allocated the 8.45p.m. slot, but as the dining room closed at 9.30p.m. (and there was a mad rush by staff around then to get everything cleared as soon as possible) we changed ours to 8.15p.m., which was fine for us. We ate on the outside dining Terrace every evening, and I would recommend everyone do this at least once during their stay – it was lovely to sit and enjoy a glass of wine and watch the sun go down – I have got some fabulous pictures to prove it! The only trouble was there is obviously limited space, so you may have to wait a few minutes before you are seated, but it was well worth the wait. I would like to make special mention of a young lady called Luz, who looked after us marvellously most evenings – but then again, so did all the other staff – so well done. I also love the fact that gentlemen are required to wear long trousers for dinner and this is policed – so young ladies, get your act together and don’t turn up in micro shorts as some did for your evening meal. Fair play….
• Other visitors have mentioned this too, so how lucky are you if you have a birthday during your stay?!!! On the 23rd July at 7.00 p.m. a knock at the door announced the arrival of a bottle of Cava and plate of small cakes for my husband’s birthday – he was thrilled to bits with the gesture. How thoughtful of the management and staff. Superb. Even the Thomson Team delivered a card during the day wishing him a happy birthday….he was well made up with the fuss being made of him.
• I thought the drinks price were reasonable for a 4* hotel, bottle of house wine at dinner 9.90 euro, large glass of wine around the pool 2.40, bottle of Sprite 2.20, large beer 3.50. It is a ‘cashless’ environment, and you are given the yellow copy of your order – which I would recommend you keep for your own records, ensuring the cost of your order is shown, it helps keep tabs on what you are spending besides anything else. This works well and avoids you having to carry cash around the hotel – our account was spot on at the end of the holiday.
• There was an excellent resident duo, in addition to varied nightly professional shows throughout our stay to cater for most tastes. However, I would question the decision to hold a ‘Foam Party’ one evening as the entertainment, considering the hotel was probably accommodating c.700 whilst we were there – a maximum of 30 participated – at 67 years of age, I certainly wasn’t one of them, haha., which nicely leads me on to the next point.
• I had requested a room with the afternoon sun – this obviously was not possible, as we were allocated 126 on the first floor (I believe it was classed as a mini suite as it had a lounge area). On entering, the passage to the lounge included the built in wardrobe, with two VERY shallow drawers, (lounge not requested or used), the bedroom was very minimalist, but to be fair the bed was very comfortable with two large soft pillows each – a refreshing change from the usual rock hard pillow more often provided abroad. Bathroom included an effective hairdryer ladies…none slip rubber bathmat would have been nice for those of us not so agile getting in and out of the effective shower over the bath. Spacious balcony with comfortable rattan-type table and chairs, however the terracotta tiling was very ‘tired’ and either needed replacing or polishing, as was the outside wooden Louvre patio door - which judging by the lichen growth hasn’t had any attention since it was first installed. The worst part was the view over our balcony – immediately ABOVE the outdoor stage area – of the oversized ‘urinal’ for want of a better description (I will try and upload photos). Needless to say, despite us usually preferring to retire to bed relatively early (even on holiday I still need all the beauty sleep I can get), we didn’t manage to get to sleep once before midnight the whole holiday). Not good…. As I said, lessons learnt. I must learn to complain in the future, instead of suffering in silence.

I hadn’t heard of the so-called ‘Privilege’ upgrade until I was reading some of the reviews in the couple of weeks before we left, not having noticed it online Thomson whilst I was making the booking – and had no idea of the cost. For those interested the cost is 26 euro per person per day – that would have entailed an additional personal cost to us of 520 euro for our 10 day stay.

Personally I don’t like this idea, I think it encourages a ‘class’ system. Also, in addition I believe the majority of the “so-called” benefits should be standard in a 4* hotel (with the exception of the drinks benefits and daily papers and sea-view room) – ie: safe, fridge, kettle, monogrammed pool towels, Wi-Fi. – they certainly were at the 4* couples hotel we stayed at in May of this year in Madeira - you can even stay for £29 a night at some Premier Inn’s in the UK and get the kettle and safe!

Our next visit to Tenerife is planned for April of next year, I have checked the prices this morning online – for a ten day stay at the Gran Tinerfe £1748 plus c.£470 if you want the
4* experience. Or at the 3* Catalonia Oro Negro, which we have used twice previously (and I might add the food there is 4* quality and rooms perfectly comfortable) £1162. Afraid it’s no contest on this occasion for value for money….. However, we met two lovely ladies (Annie and Barbara) who have stayed at this hotel annually for nearly 20 years, so it is obviously doing something right!

Oh, I forgot to mention. They do have a courtesy room for use if you are leaving later in the day, this does need to be reserved either the afternoon before your departure or early on the morning of departure (obviously the earlier you book it, the more like you are to get your preferred time). You are allocated a half hour slot, which is ample time for two. On this occasion the room used was H19 on the ground floor, tastefully furnished and beautifully decorated compared to ours (couldn’t believe it was the same hotel) – I actually left our holiday with some disappointment and feeling like I’d been in the punishment block, such a shame because we had had a lovely time!!!

P.S. H10 team do take the time to read your feedback forms and acknowledge same, so get them filled in. 10 out of 10 for that!

Room Tip: High room if facing the road and you would like to get to sleep before midnight!
4  Thank Carol B
Reviewed July 28, 2013

Fabulous location overlooking the local beach, close to many bars and restaurants. The bed was the best I have ever slept in apart from my own - big and very comfortable. Room (No 212) has been recently decorated but still looked a little tired (cracked glass on the balcony, poor paintwork and wonky light fittings) but it was spotlessly clean. Air conditioning was adequate when on highest level. Public areas such as bars and dining room are not air conditioned.

Pool area to the front of the hotel has some tremendous sunbeds which are free to use but are not directly near to the pool so you have to "drip you way back", especially if you go in the heated pool which is the furthest away. No ball games (other than organised by entertainment teams) or lilos allowed in the pools and this is strictly enforced as is the reserving of poolside beds before 10 am. The pool guy will remove your stuff!!

You are allocated a time for dinner (which you can change if you wish). Food was very disappointing, too much repetition for us. We were booked for breakfast and dinner but ended up eating out 8 nights out of the 14 and on the nights we stayed in our evening meal usually consisted of soup and a roll and a small salad maybe with a little ice cream (as it was usually all gone by the 8 pm sitting). The breakfasts were ok but there was no jam or marmalade for the last four days. Having said that no tummy bugs or anything of that nature throughout the holiday.

My biggest gripe however was the additional charges you incurred when you got to the hotel. We checked in and asked about the safe to be told it was 18 euros a week plus a refundable deposit. The minibar was ten euros (non refundable) to just open the fridge!! This was just to unlock it not to consume any of the drinks and if we wanted towels for the pool then an addition ten euros (not sure if this was refundable or not) as we didn't bother but bought a couple of large beach towels from a local shop. Why not include these in the holiday price Thomsons like you do in many other hotel deals??? Had we paid out for everything we would have spent 60+ euros before unpacking our bags!!

No money changes hands when you order a drink or food at the bar - you sign for everything and settle the bill at the end. So you need to keep all receipts including the one for the safe (despite taking the safe key back the clerk "initially" refused to refund the deposit without the receipt)!!

Room Tip: Even numbered rooms overlook the Chill Out Bar and local beach. Problem with overlooking beach is t...
3  Thank Susan W