Just arrived back from a 10 night stay at the Luabay. On arrival to the hotel we were greeted with a workman fixing the door to the main entrance and a long queue for the lifts to take our luggage to our room due to only 1 out of the 3 lifts in working order. The working of the lifts was a common problem throughout our stay and often opted for the 6 flights of stairs. In addition, lights were hanging out of the ceiling of the lifts and the sensors on one of the lifts did not allow enough time for people to get in an out.
The room was comfortable and clean, but we did feel that we were in an episode of “changing rooms”. One evening boxes and shopping trolleys appeared in the hallway loaded with pictures and light fittings. The drilling started at 6pm and again at 8:30am, with new light fittings and pictures being erected in the rooms. The dust covered our belongings that had not been removed prior to the workman starting his drilling.
We did not have an issue with our shower, but could see why people did as the shower tray was not very deep and the shower glass was not long enough.
There were minor refurbishments and maintenance work taking place throughout the majority of our holiday, with water leaking from the roof outside the main reception, banging and drilling in an area close to our room, through to finishing touches being made to the pool area (transfers being stuck to the glass)
The pool bar was not open for the first two days, and when the “makeshift pool bar” did eventually open (consisting of a couple of tables and umbrellas) the main hotel bar closed until 5:30pm. This caused long queues at the pool bar which was operated with one member of staff.
For a hotel with 303 bedrooms, there was nowhere near enough sunbeds (around 200) to accommodate all the guests. On a number of occasions all sunbeds were reserved with towels by 8am, and I don't blame guests for reserving them as this was the only way of getting a sunbed. The hotel management erected signs to state that sunbeds should not be reserved and on one occasion removed all towels from the sunbeds, consequently customers lost there towel deposit. I understand that the hotel had put more sunbeds on order, but these did not arrive during our stay. In addition, on the Thomson and Luabay website there are proposed photos of the pool area with four poster outdoor beds; these were nowhere to be seen.
The fire plan on the back of the bedroom door still stated the previous hotel name, which I would imagine is a breach of health and safety.
Customer service was not as I would expect for a 4 star hotel, with cups not being collected from the pool and main areas during the day and lengthy queues at the bar. The management at the hotel did not seem to want to take any complaints on board and rectify the ongoing issues.
Food was ok for all inclusive although the food and lunch and dinner was exactly the same
Entertainment was poor, one night there was a singer reading the words from a laptop
Good things about the hotel was the location. Costa Adeje and Mexican.
This hotel has a long way to go before it could be considered as a Thomson Platinum.
PS do not pay £120 for a seaview room - they all have a sea view.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- HOVIMA Costa Adeje invites you to enjoy your holidays in an exclusive hotel in Playa Fañabé with a full range of services. The Hotel is located next to the beach, in the most beautiful and peaceful area of Costa Adeje. Discover our All Inclusive service as well as our high class rooms which are ideal for sophisticated guests with great expectations. Relaxation and comfort is what you can expect from your stay at HOVIMA Costa Adeje in Playa Fañabé. Enjoy the wonderful surroundings and the nature at a one of a kind location. HOVIMA Costa Adeje is exclusive for adults, minimum 16 years old (accompanied at least by an adult with more than 18 years). ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, HotelQuickly, Booking.com, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your HOVIMA Costa Adeje reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Luabay Costa Adeje Hotel Costa Adeje
- Esmeralda Hotel Tenerife
- HOVIMA Costa Adeje Tenerife