Having stayed here a few years ago we decided to give it another try as we like the location of the hotel and had a good time. To be honest I wish we hadn't.
We knew what to expect re the layout and amenities of the hotel. Yes the rooms and balconies are smaller than most but we knew this so weren't overly disappointed. The hotel also accommodated our requests to give us a decent sea view room (which we had paid extra for).
The big disappointment however is the lack of service around the resort which frankly is below par for 5 star even for Tenerife.
A few examples:
- asking the female egg chef for scrambled eggs. She said no on 3 separate days and said they were already out on the buffet ready made. True they were, but they were also cold and runny which I did not want. Every other 5* hotel makes fresh scrambled eggs at the egg station. ( the male egg chef however was happy to make them)
- the fruit counter where I asked the lady if they had any kiwis as none were out. She rolled her eyes and walked off, then said she didn't understand. I had to ask someone else who eventually managed to get me one.
- the stroppy waitress in the Italian restaurant who simply chose to ignore us and told another waiter to do as well whilst we waited to be seated. She actually walked past us twice and started clearing tables before she acknowledged us. Just rude.
- breakfast is pretty much self service. The waiters prefer to entertain kids and chat to each other rather than clear plates away, replace cutlery or get you coffee. The good news is cutlery and nespresso machines are all easily accessible so you don't actually need the waiters. Who knows, maybe they can be done away with completely ??
- the small free water in our room and toiletries were replaced once in a week. We had to ring every day to request it.
- wifi is free but beyond dreadful. Incredibly slow
Whilst the above are 'niggles' that don't spoil a holiday in itself, when they happen day in day out for 7 days when you've paid handsomely to stay here, it makes you feel a bit ripped off.
In addition to the above, it is pretty much impossible to have a decent meal in any of the restaurants without the kids club entertainment disrupting your meal. It starts at 9pm sharp every night and only hacienda and las Aguas aren't affected. There really should be a separate area away from the main restaurants. There is really nowhere to escape other peoples children.
Finally, whilst not the hotels fault, a good proportion of the guests leave a lot to be desired. Being woken up at 1am by banging, tv, squealing and music is not my idea of a relaxing stay. If I wanted this I would have stayed in las Americas. The sound quality insulation is non existent, you hear every noise and voice as it walks down the corridor. I could also tell you the language spoken by all my neighbours as I could hear so clearly through the walls.
In summary, if you have small kids, I'm sure you'll be better catered for as this is clearly the target audience. If not, please avoid as you'll only regret it.