“Fantastic 5 star hotel”
Review of Bahia del Duque

Bahia del Duque
Ranked #11 of 61 Hotels in Costa Adeje
Reviewed January 23, 2012

What a hotel this is we lived our stay here. We went half board the food is fab some of it freshly cooked in front of you. Staff are lovely will do anything to help. Lovely clean beach hotel.

• Stayed: February 2011
6  Thank Sundown1950
GHBDR, Gerente at Bahia del Duque, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2012

Dear Guest,

We are very glad to know that you enjoy your stay with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back at Gran Hotel Bahía del Duque Resort.

Hotel Management

Write a ReviewReviews (2,217)

Reviewed January 16, 2012

There are good things about this hotel, certainly - the Observatory is a wow for kids, and service for us was unfailingly polite and helpful: late checkout, too, was provided at no cost (this was January, of course). BUT: architecturally, it's a fussy mess, and it's almost impossible to find your way around (and heaven help you if you're not good with steps and steep paths); in January, only a few of the restaurants and bars were open, even though reception claimed they were... Rooms were no more than OK, really, and less good than a number of cheaper places: almost designed to be noisy, in fact. Really ghastly music was piped or played live in every public space, making the gaudy surroundings feel tackier still. But the worst thing, really, is the sheer complexity of the place - which builds in multi-levels of exclusivity (designed, one suspects, to flatter people who think their ability to spend mega-bucks makes them, also, miraculously 'exclusive'). Don't confuse the Resort with the Casas Ducales, or the Villas - though nobody will warn you about this. Beware, for instance, of believing the map they provide, which will lead you to a heated pool in the 'villas' area, saying nothing to keep you away: but this is in fact so 'exclusive' that you might (like us) be asked to leave because one couple (about twenty yards away, and the only people there) think you (as guests in the mere Resort) might be less 'exclusive' than they are. (Again, the staff handled this one politely, but it reflects both the chaos of hotel information and the less than pleasant aspect of some of the guests). Prices are very high - fine, if that's no problem, but if you're thinking of choosing this place for the one-off holiday of a lifetime, don't: it's really not that good.

• Stayed: January 2012, traveled with family
12  Thank Peter M
GHBDR, Gerente at Bahia del Duque, responded to this reviewResponded January 27, 2012

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review.

We always want to provide our clients with the best service and always want to know if we have not met their expectations. Your comments and impressions have been addressed to the responsible persons in order to analyse them.

Your feedback helps us to improve our services and quality standards.

It would be a pleasure for us to welcome you back and have the opportunity to meet your expectations.

Reviewed January 15, 2012

Luxurious but a bit lacking in class. Friendly service inside but first impression at the front gate disappointing. Very rude, unhelpful and can't speak English. Nowhere close to the cheerful quality of the Côte d'Azur. Very good restaurant nearby Torre del Mirador.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank CELINE V

Dear Client,

We take all feedback seriously and we are really sorry to know that our Resort has not met your expectations. We sincerely apologize.

Reviewed January 13, 2012

We went to this hotel for Christmas and had a brilliant time. As soon as you arrive you are made to feel incredibly welcome and this continues throughout your stay. The staff are all so friendly yet professional and efficient and nothing is too much trouble. All of our rooms were very nice, clean and spacious. There are certain areas of the hotel that could be construed as 'tired' but you can tell they are constantly maintaining and upkeeping this large resort which must be a continuous year round job. We ate in the buffet restaurant most evenings and thoroughly enjoyed it. There was always lots of choice and the food was of a good standard especially the steaks. The pool areas were all lovely and although the bottom pool has been stated to be tricky to get to you don't have to use the steps and can follow a gently sloping pathway instead. We had our 84 year old Uncle with us and he had no problems. We just found our whole experience amazing and would return here in an instant. Thank you to all of the staff for making our trip such a success.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
3  Thank HunterA

Dear client,

Thank you for kind feedback regarding your stay at Gran Hotel Bahía del Duque Resort.

We always want to provide our customers with the best service and we feel really proud when we receive such kind comments.

It will be a pleasure to seeing you again in our Resort.

Reviewed January 10, 2012

Beauty is a way to describe this hotel. Luxury from the moment you step into the reception. Beautiful architecture with great character. There are many restaurants and bars which leave you no excuse that you would have to leave the hotel.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
4  Thank horseah

Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us. We are very proud about having reached your expectations.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed January 5, 2012

Went to this resort in July 2011 in the last week of the school term. We all had a wonderful time, everything about the resort is beautifully designed, I especially loved the architecture of the buildings and you feel like you are in a spanish village with the cobbled walkways and the central square. The restaurants were very good, we mainly ate in the Trattoria and everything we ordered was perfect. It overlooks the square so if we were still at our table when the evening entertainment started we could still enjoy it. We tried Las Aguas on the last evening and that was lovely, but not as child friendly as the other restaurants.

The entertainment was very good and something different every night. The children are encouraged to sit at the front so they could get a good view and you can still see your children from where you are.

The highlight for us was the kids club which was excellent - so much so that we couldn't drag our children out of there!! Ours were 4 and 5 and there is plenty to keep them entertained. We stayed with them at first for about 20 minutes or so but once they were settled they absolutely loved it! I even tried to collect them after a couple of hours on more than 1 occasion but they wanted us to go back to collect them later. The children are even walked over to the buffet restaurant for lunch if you wanted them to stay there. This suited us fine as we had a chance to sit at the beach cafe on our own and have a sandwich and drink overlooking the sea!

If the children were not in the kids club then we would be by the kids pool, this was sometimes overcrowded and as always - towels there first thing in the morning!! So annoying but mostly they would be taken up shortly after breakfast. The pool definitely got busier as the week progressed but to be expected.

Its been 6 months since we returned and the children still ask to go back to Tenerife as they had a fabulous holiday.

We had 2 interconnecting rooms which was fine as we had our own space and we were not overcrowded when we were getting ready etc. We only went for this option as the villa rooms were more expensive.

We would definitely return to this resort as everything was first class. The service was very good, but we felt it was a lot busier towards the end of the week as the school holidays began and as a result the staff appeared to be more stretched. For example it took a lot longer to get the attention of a waiter by the entertainment square in the evening. In the end I went up the bar and ordered it myself - it still took 5 minutes to get served and I could see waiters and barmen running round like headless chickens. Apart from this I was satisfied with the service of the staff at the resort as a whole.

Unfortunately we had a week of mostly cloud which is a shame as I expected Tenerife to be scorching hot in July but we have been told we were just unlucky.... nevertheless we are searching for a similar resort for this years summer holiday but will try the med in an attempt to get (almost guaranteed) sunshine!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank HertsFamily21
Reviewed January 5, 2012

I booked for a week at Christmas with Andy Fielding at Clear Blue Seas for my first holiday with a child, my 6 month old daughter. I specified that the buggy I was taking was huge so the room needed to be accessible and large enough to accommodate it and a cot-bed. It was.
The trip started out badly when the promised transfer didn’t turn up at the airport. We stayed 30 minutes but then got a taxi – not a major problem. Arrived at the hotel & was blown away by their attention to detail. From the décor to the buildings and the costumes (uniform) it was all fantastic. I asked for a baby-bath in the room it appeared before I arrived in the room.
I also told reception that because my baby has sensitive skin, I had brought her bedding from the UK so not to touch it. They promised to make housekeeping aware and this worked FOR ONE NIGHT. On Boxing Day I returned to the room to find not only my cot sheet missing but also my daughter’s cuddly rabbit. I spoke to reception who were not that interested. I then shouted that my belongings had been stolen & within 30 minutes the Duty Manager appeared at my door. He was very apologetic and arranged for the head of housekeeping to contact me and also to provide a hyper-allergic sheet for the interim. In a few hours they had located the rabbit and the next day my missing sheet arrived washed and pressed. The Duty manager had visited my room twice and found me by the children’s pool twice. Very good service after a problem that should not have occurred in a 5-star hotel.
My room was above the children’s ‘Duqui Club’ which I guess was good if you have a screaming baby because of the noise. I don’t & had to find quiet areas to get her to sleep during the day. The room was big enough (just) and the terrace much larger than expected. Incredible view from it…..felt like I was in a Spanish hilltop village, but no sun at all during the day as was shaded by a large but beautiful tree.
The bathroom (except for the ants) was large and well equipped. Fantastic separate power-shower. I had a problem with the toilet door. Just clear glass and the main bathroom doors were just louvre. Not very private for those that need it to be!
As per others reviews the breakfast was amazing. 5 star indeed. The only things missing were kippers & devilled kidneys! The staff were really helpful and rushed to bring us a highchair as soon as we arrived each day. Homemade butter, yoghurt, milkshakes, breads etc.
The staff by the pool were wonderful. They jumped to your aid and fetched towels/rearranged umbrellas/sourced baby toys etc Other than the pool bar/café, we didn’t eat in any of the restaurants as felt it unfair on other patrons if my baby were to complain. The hotel is very well situated to get to La Colletta (my favourite seafood restaurant) & Playa Fanabe for Otellos garlic chicken.
My trip finished as it had begun, the promised transfer didn’t arrived & we got a taxi. I’ve yet to hear from Andy!
All in all, I’d love to stay here again. Maybe next Christmas!

Room Tip: lots of stairs everywhere and quite a walk to the beach