“Apologies to the reviewers who we ignored”

Melia Jardines del Teide
Ranked #20 of 58 Hotels in Costa Adeje
Leeds, United Kingdom
“Apologies to the reviewers who we ignored”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

Apologies to all those reviewers I ignored before choosing this hotel. I should have heeded the warnings, but perhaps we all like to see life through rose tinted glasses.

Although this is our first Tripadvisor review, it is our 5th All Inclusive hotel in Playa/Costa Adeje (out of a total of 18, Europe wide).

Part one here, is a précis of my views, please see part two, for more detail.

What we like about this hotel:-

First impression approaching hotel and arrival into reception was good, modern design and quite spacious
Reception staff efficient, friendly and helpful
Rooms very spacious and clean
Well laid out and well-tended grounds
Plenty of beds and umbrellas around the pools

What we dislike about this hotel:-

Food - especially the lack of vegetables. Chips were the only choice of potato most nights. Very poor food hygiene
Restaurant - apart from the magnificent views across Playa.
Bar- staff were sometimes slow to respond to queues. There was a lot of space where they could have a few more tables and chairs.
Entertainment – stage shares the same room as 3 pool tables. There was a poor choice of outside acts suitable for adults.

At the end of our stay we did speak to Ivan and whilst he defended the hotel, its policies and standards, he offered nothing other than an apology. In all our hotel stays, this is the first time we have asked to see a member of the management team.

Last year we stayed at the Costa Adeje Gran. We like to try different hotels so decided to give this one a try, even though it cost about the same as the Gran (5 star). Big mistake! We cannot recommend this hotel and we will not give it a second chance, life is too short!

Part two, the detail:-

Rooms – paid extra for sea view room, 6th floor. This was our second room as the first (808) has a very restricted view past a wall and several tall palm trees (yes the sea was there, just, in the distance). The room is very large by modern standards. Shower does not have thermostatically controlled taps so can run very hot or cold. Very quiet even though there is a minor road behind.

Grounds - Located on a very steep hill, the hotel has well laid out grounds which were kept spotlessly clean. Although there are many steps there are plenty of lifts.

Food and Restaurant - the staff worked extremely hard in what looked like difficult circumstances. In the main they were very pleasant and courteous. I would suggest they were short staffed, although Ivan put it down to variations in busy and quiet times throughout the evening. We were in at different times of the night during the week and never experienced a time when the staff were not running ragged.
The offering of hot food was a mixed bag. Sometimes it was hot others it was just warm. Although I am not a great fish lover, the bits I tried were good. There was usually some fish being freshly prepared every night. For meat lovers like me there was often a long wait at the grill and the worst examples of poor food hygiene were:-

Same utensils being used to pick up raw meat as turn and serve up cooked meat

Burgers being served up very rare and I saw one guest bringing one back. He had already cut into it on his plate and he was allowed to place it back on to the grill for re-cooking!!! I have no idea where that burger had been or if the guest had eaten some of it beforehand? I don’t know and the chef certainly did not, but he was happy to put it back alongside the rest of the burgers before giving it back. I decided not to try one after that!

I once found a piece of curled thin metal in my mouthful of food. Not sure where on my plate it had come from, but we brought it to the notice of the restaurant management. He did apologise and took a note of our room number. It would have been good to hear what they had found or what they were doing to avoid it again, but we heard nothing more, which is a shame.

The choice of hot vegetables was extremely poor. Apart from the lack of potato choice there were very few veg on offer and on one evening the ONLY veg on offer (apart from chips) was spinach with cheese on top. Even though it tasted quite good (for spinach) I really expect a bit more of an effort. And the chips were frozen ones! Generally there was a better choice of veg at lunch time than on an evening.

Whilst the views from the restaurant across Playa de las Americas were stunning the rest of it was rather bland and dull. The annexe behind the main restaurant was dim and even more bleak.

I can best describe the experience here as like eating in a canteen. You come in, choose a table, choose your food, sit down, eat it and get out. On holiday I’d like it to be a little more pleasurable and enjoyable. To me, that’s part of what being on holiday is all about.

Bar – Apart from initial comments, it would have been nice to have some secondary entertainment like a singer or keyboard player in a corner of the bar.

Entertainment – A very basic room with noise coming across from the pool tables.

On the nights we looked in they were all “bought in” acts, which in my opinion were not of a very good standard, for a hotel of this size and rating.

Might be alright if you like a demonstration of owls and eagles at 10.15 at night, preceded by a magician who was very popular with the few children in the room.
On another night they had a clown and a woman bouncing around stage doing some contortion type moves in a coloured “cross” outfit! Difficult to explain the act and more difficult to understand what it was about, but again the (few) children seemed to like it.

All in all, our worst AI experience. Some of you will probably say we’ve been lucky if this is the worst!! Maybe we have been.

Other AI hotels in Tenerife, most recent first:-
Costa Adeje Gran
Anthelia (much more expensive, but worth it)
Best Tenerife
Bahia Principe (bit far out)

Non AI – Mediterranean

A message to the hotel management – please do not post a response to this review if you cannot make any original comment. Your comments on other reviews are identical, which makes me think you do not even have the courtesy of reading them first.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
7 Thank JohnfromLeeds

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (564)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2013

This is my first time leaving a review but I thought this was worth saying. The hotel and grounds look amazing and the suite we had was very nice that's where the good points end. we booked this hotel mainly because it advertised a heated outdoor pool which we wanted for the children (3 and 4 yrs old) at this time of year, the pool was not heated even though they are still saying it is, it was freezing! We managed to get in it but could not last long until the kids turned purple and needed to get out. The other main point was the staff or lack of them trying to get any sort of service was nearly impossible most of the time we just left empty handed and on top of that some of the staff are quite rude. I would not recommend this hotel for children as there is not a great deal for them to do all ours wanted to do was play in the pool. I am sure other people will have a different view on this hotel as it does look fantastic. last point there are very noisy building works next door to the hotel not sure when this will be finished. Well that's my moan over if you are going I hope you have a better stay than we did.

Room Tip: A room away from the building works
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Zara P
Poole England
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for a week of winter sun in January. We got an amazing deal from Travel Republic, just over£500, all inclusive, with Monarch flights from Gatwick.

A taxi from the airport was under €30 for the 15 minute drive. The hotel is built into a hillside in 5/6 sections and beautifully landscaped. We were on the top floor of the reception block and enjoyed a large spacious room with a balcony and a sea view.

I was surprised to read adverse comments about the food. I would compare the food to what is on offer on a mid-range cruise ship. The menus were varied with plenty of choices, representing excellent value.

If you simply want to chill out for a week and you are able to secure a cheap deal, this hotel ticks most of the boxes. On the down side, if you leave the hotel there is very little within walking distance, Playa de las Americas is a 10 minute taxi ride away. I feel this hotels location would be too remote for many people.

1 Thank Ken131
Stockton-on-Tees, UK
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed at Melia Jardines del Teide for a week from 2 February. The hotel is in a good position and the public areas are very nice. Our room was spacious but was very tired. The curtains had holes in them and were very grey, the mattress on the bed was old and had lost some springs and the bath had been poorly repaired. This room was badly in need of refurbishment (room 110). When we were there the main swimming pool was open and looked lovely - although we did not go in due to poor weather. The main problem we found with the hotel was the number of guests who seemed to be there just to drink as much as they could all day long! We had people a room close to us who spent a lot of time drinking, shouting at each other and storming off to the bar (again!). We had never tried all-inclusive before and found this aspect a real turn-off. The food was poor - often cool and if you wanted one of the freshly cooked meals you had to wait in a queue for it. Generally the hotel felt understaffed. Food in the Pool Bar was very limited. On a positive note the Reception staff were pleasant and helpful, the room was clean, and it was very pleasant to sit on the bar terrace on an evening overlooking the sea and all the lights and sipping a G&T!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank JT27
scotland
Reviewed February 13, 2013

We arrived early for check in 2 hours early but we were processed just the same, the reception staff were smart and did all they could and were very efficient, great start , , the room was still being cleaned and as we were all inc we were invited to the bar. Sitting outside in the sun was not a hard task about 45 minutes later a girl came and took us to our room, still about 1 hour early. The room was very large and we had a sea view, we had 2 loungers on the balcony and towels for the loungers were also in the room , the rooms were cleaned every day and without fault , The hotel was quite busy and there were sometimes a queue at the bar, but not for long as the bar staff were rushing about to serve you , this again was great and the bar staff had a smile for you all the time , , the dining room was in 2 sections , 1 with sea views and one not , the waiting staff were again happy to serve you and you never had to wait for a table , they were on the go all the time and again with a smile on their face, the food was good and lots to choose from , a great selection from cold salad bar to warm food , I say warm as the food was never hot a shame as that’s the only drawback to the dining room , again a queue for food sometimes but not that bad that you could not wait till they had reduced the line of customers , so to some up a great hotel , 15 minis by taxi from the airport the hotel is on a hill so take care when booking , my only fault was the towels in the bathroom had all seen better days , they were of white and hard , and one last point and nothing to do with the hotel , we went to look at the Melia club who had a desk in the front lobby , we had a chat with the girl on the desk gave our room number and as I had been invited to one of the hotels close to this one and could not get time of when asked to join them we thought we would look and check it out , sad that she never got back to us , as we were quite looking forward to possible going ahead with the purchase of a vacation from club Melia

Room Tip: I was on level 2 , no noise from the road , infact cant say a bad thing as the hotel is set back fro...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank tws137
Northern Ireland
Reviewed January 31, 2013

We are just back room two weeks at the this hotel. We had booked based on the hundreds of positive reviews we had seen online. On the positive the hotel was nice, in a good location and the staff were helpful & courteous, (Particularly one of the receptionists with long curly golden brown hair with glasses unfortunately we can't remember her name) the hotel was clean. It was good value for money given that we were staying all inclusive. I would definitely recommend the place for families.

On the negative like other reviewers we experienced the main pool being repaired which wasn't an issue as we had direct access from our room to the other pool. Just like other reviewers, maintenance became an issue during our stay, but the hotel resolved the problem by giving us a room in another area. Major building work should not happen where people are staying. The food was bland and lukewarm, which after the first week became monotonous but to be expected in an all inclusive.

The hotel had brilliant views over the resort of El Duque, Costa Adeje and Playa de Las Americas, the setting was lovely. I'm sure if we were to visit the hotel later in the year some of the issues mentioned wouldn't be a problem, and its good to see the hotel maintaining its facilities though preferably when my terrace door doesn't open on to it.

Room Tip: The room we got moved to was on the third floor, would recommend the fourth floor which had great vi...
3 Thank Nordiefolk
Scotland
Reviewed January 29, 2013

We stayed in this hotel for three nights on an all inclusive basis from 16 - 19 jan 2013 at the end of a fortnight in Tenerife. I had booked this hotel as I was attracted by the pictures of the beautiful pool and landscaped gardens. I was disappointed therefore to find on arrival that the main pool was closed for refurbishment! I was particularly annoyed that I was not informed of this before arrival and given the opportunity to cancel. There was one smaller pool available though so the hotel felt that they were providing the service advertised.
The room we had was spacious and comfortable with a big balcony overlooking the resort to the sea which was lovely.
The food was very good with a good variety of dishes including rabbit, oxtail, squid, fresh mackerel, steak as well as the usual chicken, pork etc plus fresh salads and fruit. Staff in the dining room worked very hard and were very pleasant but I think they were over stretched as they were a bit understaffed. The main dining room has a panoramic view of the resorts, but unfortunately it is extremely noisy.
The bar also has a lovely balcony with great views. The bar staff are very efficient. There was no entertainment provided during our stay and I found the constant Muzak very irritating!
I found the decor in the hotel generally a bit dark and didn't really appeal to me.
The position of the hotel is good and a free bus is provided 3times a day to and from the beach.
I would, however not choose to return to this hotel.

2 Thank cupola
TRYP Tenerife
TRYP Tenerife
#6 of 14 in Los Cristianos
Gran Melia Palacio de Isora Resort & Spa

Been to Melia Jardines del Teide? Share your experiences!