Apologies to all those reviewers I ignored before choosing this hotel. I should have heeded the warnings, but perhaps we all like to see life through rose tinted glasses.
Although this is our first Tripadvisor review, it is our 5th All Inclusive hotel in Playa/Costa Adeje (out of a total of 18, Europe wide).
Part one here, is a précis of my views, please see part two, for more detail.
What we like about this hotel:-
First impression approaching hotel and arrival into reception was good, modern design and quite spacious
Reception staff efficient, friendly and helpful
Rooms very spacious and clean
Well laid out and well-tended grounds
Plenty of beds and umbrellas around the pools
What we dislike about this hotel:-
Food - especially the lack of vegetables. Chips were the only choice of potato most nights. Very poor food hygiene
Restaurant - apart from the magnificent views across Playa.
Bar- staff were sometimes slow to respond to queues. There was a lot of space where they could have a few more tables and chairs.
Entertainment – stage shares the same room as 3 pool tables. There was a poor choice of outside acts suitable for adults.
At the end of our stay we did speak to Ivan and whilst he defended the hotel, its policies and standards, he offered nothing other than an apology. In all our hotel stays, this is the first time we have asked to see a member of the management team.
Last year we stayed at the Costa Adeje Gran. We like to try different hotels so decided to give this one a try, even though it cost about the same as the Gran (5 star). Big mistake! We cannot recommend this hotel and we will not give it a second chance, life is too short!
Part two, the detail:-
Rooms – paid extra for sea view room, 6th floor. This was our second room as the first (808) has a very restricted view past a wall and several tall palm trees (yes the sea was there, just, in the distance). The room is very large by modern standards. Shower does not have thermostatically controlled taps so can run very hot or cold. Very quiet even though there is a minor road behind.
Grounds - Located on a very steep hill, the hotel has well laid out grounds which were kept spotlessly clean. Although there are many steps there are plenty of lifts.
Food and Restaurant - the staff worked extremely hard in what looked like difficult circumstances. In the main they were very pleasant and courteous. I would suggest they were short staffed, although Ivan put it down to variations in busy and quiet times throughout the evening. We were in at different times of the night during the week and never experienced a time when the staff were not running ragged.
The offering of hot food was a mixed bag. Sometimes it was hot others it was just warm. Although I am not a great fish lover, the bits I tried were good. There was usually some fish being freshly prepared every night. For meat lovers like me there was often a long wait at the grill and the worst examples of poor food hygiene were:-
Same utensils being used to pick up raw meat as turn and serve up cooked meat
Burgers being served up very rare and I saw one guest bringing one back. He had already cut into it on his plate and he was allowed to place it back on to the grill for re-cooking!!! I have no idea where that burger had been or if the guest had eaten some of it beforehand? I don’t know and the chef certainly did not, but he was happy to put it back alongside the rest of the burgers before giving it back. I decided not to try one after that!
I once found a piece of curled thin metal in my mouthful of food. Not sure where on my plate it had come from, but we brought it to the notice of the restaurant management. He did apologise and took a note of our room number. It would have been good to hear what they had found or what they were doing to avoid it again, but we heard nothing more, which is a shame.
The choice of hot vegetables was extremely poor. Apart from the lack of potato choice there were very few veg on offer and on one evening the ONLY veg on offer (apart from chips) was spinach with cheese on top. Even though it tasted quite good (for spinach) I really expect a bit more of an effort. And the chips were frozen ones! Generally there was a better choice of veg at lunch time than on an evening.
Whilst the views from the restaurant across Playa de las Americas were stunning the rest of it was rather bland and dull. The annexe behind the main restaurant was dim and even more bleak.
I can best describe the experience here as like eating in a canteen. You come in, choose a table, choose your food, sit down, eat it and get out. On holiday I’d like it to be a little more pleasurable and enjoyable. To me, that’s part of what being on holiday is all about.
Bar – Apart from initial comments, it would have been nice to have some secondary entertainment like a singer or keyboard player in a corner of the bar.
Entertainment – A very basic room with noise coming across from the pool tables.
On the nights we looked in they were all “bought in” acts, which in my opinion were not of a very good standard, for a hotel of this size and rating.
Might be alright if you like a demonstration of owls and eagles at 10.15 at night, preceded by a magician who was very popular with the few children in the room.
On another night they had a clown and a woman bouncing around stage doing some contortion type moves in a coloured “cross” outfit! Difficult to explain the act and more difficult to understand what it was about, but again the (few) children seemed to like it.
All in all, our worst AI experience. Some of you will probably say we’ve been lucky if this is the worst!! Maybe we have been.
Other AI hotels in Tenerife, most recent first:-
Costa Adeje Gran
Anthelia (much more expensive, but worth it)
Bahia Principe (bit far out)
Non AI – Mediterranean
A message to the hotel management – please do not post a response to this review if you cannot make any original comment. Your comments on other reviews are identical, which makes me think you do not even have the courtesy of reading them first.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- This property is 9 minutes walk from the beach. Melia Jardines del Teide is built around a huge pool complex and 12,000m² of tropical gardens. It has wonderful views of the coast and mountains, including Mount Teide. Rooms at the hotel are bright and spacious. They all have air conditioning and satellite TV. Each room has a balcony or terrace, with views of the pool, sea or mountains. Free WiFi is available throughout. The Level services are available in some rooms, including a private lounge with free coffee and tea, private check-in area and daily cocktail hour, as well as private pool and rooms with Nespresso machine, pillow menu and designer toiletries. The Meliá Jardines del Teide offers 2 swimming pools, one being exclusive for The Level guests. There is also a children's pool. The hotel has a kids' club, as well as a full family entertainment programme. Dining options includes a buffet restaurant, an a la carte restaurant, the lobby bar and a restaurant serving snacks. The hotel is set just 9 minutes' walk from Playa del Duque beach, in southern Tenerife. Costa Adeje Golf Club is 1.5 km away. There is also a free shuttle service to a nearby shopping centre. There are also several shops on site. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Prodigios Interactivos SA, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Melia Jardines del Teide reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Melia Jardines Del Teide Hotel Costa Adeje
- Melia Costa Adeje
- Melia Hotel Costa Adeje
- Melia Jardines Del Teide Tenerife/Costa Adeje