“Good portions of average food served by miserable staff”

La Gran Paella Valenciana
Ranked #85 of 329 Restaurants in Costa Adeje
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed December 7, 2017 via mobile

I’ll keep this brief and factual for those of you looking for an honest review.

We headed here after reading all of the reviews and expectations were high. The first thing we noticed was that the Host trying to get us into his venue was extremely rude and disinterested once we were seated. In fact, all of the staff were.

We ordered lobster soup to start - it was average in taste but they were very generous with the portions. Generous portions of average lobster soup...I can’t work out if that’s a good thing or a bad thing. I washed this down with the sangria which I must say was amazing and won them some points back!

For main we had the Gran Paella and the T bone. Both of these meals were pretty special. The paella could easily feed 4 and was cooked very very well. The Tbone was huge and cooked perfectly and exactly to my ask (medium rare). Both main meals were exceptional and for the price truly blew us away.

The only element that prevents this venue getting 4 stars is the lack of courtesy and attentiveness shown by the staff. I guess because they are rated so highly on trip advisor they know they will get the customers regardless of service levels so have clearly become a little complacent in this department.

Still, who goes to a restaurant for the service...its the food you go for and that is pretty special (apart from the average lobster soup served in abundance).

2  Thank Stuart S

Reviewed December 6, 2017

We were recommended this hotel and went as a party of 10.
Everyone thought the same.....
Fabulous food.....reasonably priced and served by friendly staff.
If you didn't know, you would walk past this place as it's really nothing to look at. But look at people's plates and you will see the quality and portion size......which is huge.
Love it and will return. Best steak I've had in years!

1  Thank Toon_fan_1
Reviewed November 25, 2017 via mobile

Hey, it wasn’t until I got back I realised I’ve never written a review for Gran paella even though we go back year on year.

We love it here. This time we came to Tenerife with friends. The dishes are always very reasonably costed and portions are so big.

I had an chicken escalope and it was the size of my head this time. I couldn’t believe it, surprisingly as a result I didn’t finish it! However, it was so yum and only cost 9 euros. My friends had a mixture of dishes and mojo sauce was brought to the table to accompany some of the dishes, which was also a nice touch as every where we’d been all week we had to ask for accompaniments.

The service is always very good and was excellent this time around. The guy who served us waved at us every time we walked past later in the week as he’d remembered us from our meal. (I thought this was a nice touch)

Thanks, We will be back.

1  Thank Tallulah-hw
Reviewed November 15, 2017 via mobile

Highly recommend it, beautiful food and really good price. When I asked local people where should I have good food not like tourist trap, 8 out of 10 recommended this restaurant. The portion is huge and amazing price, we really wanted to try other restaurants but when having a look to dishes and prices we get back to la grand Valencia.

Reviewed November 15, 2017 via mobile

My wife and I tried this place on the basis of its popularity (we had to wait a few minutes for a table, it was chock-a-block!)
I ordered drinks (pint of lager for me and a small individual carafe of white wine for my wife) and then ordered our food (T-bone steak for me, half chicken and chips for my wife).
Our drinks hadn’t arrived after 7 minutes when one of the touts noticed, so he reminded our waiter who promptly brought us a large carafe of wine (not what we ordered, so he poured out a large glass for my wife), returning a minute later with my beer.
Our food arrived after another 15minutes, my steak wasn’t a t-bone, but was two rib steaks instead, served with salad and fat chips.
I asked for some mustard which promptly appeared only to find two other sauces for my steak were then delivered a few minutes later (if I had known I wouldn’t have bothered with the mustard!)
There was a spicy thinner sauce and a very strong garlic alioli.
Both went well with the steak, which was pink inside and a bit gristly in parts, but tasty.
I over did it with the garlic alioli and ended up with indigestion during the night!
My wife enjoyed her chicken, but is wasn’t a tasty as the half chickens you get when a Chinese chef is in the kitchen
Shan’t bother returning here!