“Excellent food, service and decor”
Review of Carlos

Carlos
Ranked #4 of 259 Restaurants in Costa Adeje
Cuisines: Seafood, International
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Swindon, United Kingdom
“Excellent food, service and decor”
Reviewed September 6, 2013

We loved this restaurant so much that we visited it twice even though it was far from our hotel. The food was excellent, the staff were great and the atmosphere was relaxed. We will definiately return to Carlos next time we are in Tenerife.

1 Thank Amiebee1982

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Great find!”
Reviewed September 4, 2013

If you are looking for great food then you must try here! I read all the reviews before going to Carlos,and I was not disappointed.The food is fresh and delicious.Great service,very friendly staff. Give it a try. You will not be disappointed!

1 Thank AbbsW88
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Amazing meal!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Me and my boyfriend dined here recently in August and we had an amazing night.The food was excellent,service was great.Had the house rioja which went down really well.Lived up to its reputation.

1 Thank Kathkitty784
Swansea
“Fantastic food!”
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Stayed in a nearby hotel,a couple next to us at breakfast recommended Carlos to visit.Were not disappointed,had a fabulous meal both times.Sat on the nicely decorated terrace.Service was friendly and attentive.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank 36SteveS821
Tenerife, Spain
“Disappointingly average”
Reviewed September 2, 2013

Seven of us went to the restaurant on Saturday night. I chose it due to the reviews here and I really now don´t know what these are based on.

I was rather put out that when I said we had all arrived and were next door finishing our drinks I was told we should be seated now as they were expecting a crowd. I therefore asked if we could bring our drinks with us as they had just been purchased (I made it clear we only wanted to finish them - not bring drinks from another establishment) and was told No. The outside area did fill up but nobody was inside during the whole evening so a 15 minute delay which was all I said I wanted would not have harmed anyone.

Our bill was approx €250 which I think is expensive for a meal that was OK. Nothing was bad just bland and very average. I thought it was very expensive for what we had. Unlike the previous reviewer I did like the décor but I would agree with his comment <<<the people who champion this place have no real basis for a comparison.<<<

3 Thank Aguilas
sarahmTenerife, Owner at Carlos, responded to this review, September 11, 2013
Dear Aguilas

Thank you for your review on trip advisor and I am very sorry that you did not enjoy your evening at Carlos.

I think the biggest problem was the fact that your reservation was for 7pm and you chose to meet and have a drink in the bar next door at 7pm whilst waiting for your friends.

You did pop into our restaurant at approximately 7.30 pm, and tell my waiter that you were all here and requested another 15 minutes to finish your drinks purchased in the bar next door.

At this point my waiter politely told you that another 15 minutes would have caused even more delay not only for yourselves but every body else that had reserved a table on this Saturday evening.

We are very sorry if we offended you but considering you write so many restaurant articles in your blog, I thought you would appreciate how important it is to arrive on time for a reservation.

Yes you are correct in saying that the terrace was full and it does hold 40 people, and each table was reserved. (It doesn’t really matter if the restaurant was empty inside; the fact was that everybody else had reservations later than your table.)

You also state that your meals were ok, bland and very average but when you were checked just after receiving your meals you told our waiting staff that everything was lovely. If at this point a customer is not happy with a meal we will always go out of our way to sort the problem and if necessary change it.

As for the bill the most expensive starter on your bill was € 3.95 and the main courses ranged from, Thai green curry € 12.00 to sirloin steak with langoustines at € 17.95 all of which came with fresh vegetables and potatoes included.
You did all have desserts, an average of € 5.00 each and individual drinks from the bar. (Total bill for 7 customers € 218.00)

Our Restaurant offers many price options; we have a tapas menu with prices from € 3.00, and a set menu (3 courses) which you were offered for € 20.00 ( this includes 5 choices of starters, 5 choice of main courses including steak fish and fresh chicken, and choice of desserts including homemade lemon cheesecake, homemade banoffee pie and tiramisu and various others.

Our starters range from € 3.00 to € 10 and our main courses from € 10.00 to € 18, along with daily fresh fish specials, all produce are fresh and not frozen.
We have a very large menu outside with prices listed and judging by your other reviews, forums and blog I am sure you did your homework before you came and actually knew what our price range was and what was actually on the menu.

We have worked very hard to achieve an excellent reputation here at Carlos in Tenerife where we are proud to own the freehold and have been trading for 8 years, and previously owned a successful restaurant in the UK for 15 years (I hasten to add without the help of trip advisor)
I personally think this is quite an achievement in today’s economic climate.

Our chef, my husband is Portuguese and Italian trained and unlike many restaurants our food is consistent and of high quality as we do not change the chef!

Although trip advisor can be very helpful and does bring us new customers it can also be very cruel, enticing people to feed off previous bad comments which you clearly did.
Ninety nine percent of our happy customers do not place any comments on trip advisor but the most important thing to us is that they enjoy their food and return time after time.
This in itself truly gives us all true job satisfaction, and makes all the hard work a pleasure.

Once again thank you for taking the time to review our restaurant.

Mandy