“Well worth a visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Carlos

Carlos
Ranked #4 of 252 Restaurants in Costa Adeje
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Local cuisine, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Chelmsford
“Well worth a visit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

Visited first time Tenerife and thanks for TA we really enjoyed this restaurant.Very good food,excellent service and very nice and cosy atmosphere.Thanks for the lovely evening!

• Visited January 2012
1 Thank Steve M

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
Dublin
“Very Average”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

Myself and my girlfriend went to Carlos's on the basis of all the great reviews here and have to say we were both really disappointed. Had been in Tenerife almost a week by the time we got around to going and had been working through the top 5 or so restaurants on Tripadvisor, each of which up until then had lived up to their rating and in two cases exceeded all expectations.

Think this is why we were so confused as to how Carlos got the number one rating as there was no way the food was in the same league as others in the top 5. In fact I can safely say for both of us it was our worst dining experience over the two weeks we were there.

Starters were very average, in my case I had some breaded deep fried cheese, can't remember precisely what type, would need the menu to jog my memory. However I do remember remarking that it was quite similar to what you would buy in the frozen foods aisle, not exactly restaurant quality.

Anyway I remember exactly what I had for a main course, unfortunately for all the wrong reasons. Should have between the starters and the bizarre attitude of our second waitress to a standard request had some clue what was to come but being an optimist I merely raised a quizzical eyebrow.

I had decided to try the duck in the port jus sauce I think it was and when she didn't ask how I would like it cooked I asked for it to be done medium rare. She then casually dismissed what I had asked, gesturing vaguely and stating she "thinks" the chef does it pink before walking off. Thought it a bit odd and wondered if it was just me that got the impression my not so unusual preference for how something is cooked was blatantly ignored but when I mentioned it to my girlfriend she had got the same impression.

Anyway duck arrived and first thing I noticed was that it was literally swimming in the sauce. I mean there was enough sauce there for a bowl of soup! First thing my girlfriend said was "you'd be fairly screwed if you didn't like the sauce".

As it turned out the quantity of sauce was ironically the only saving grace for this dish as without it's generous lubrication I don't think I would have been able to swallow any of the duck.

I've been annoyed/disappointed before with sub par restaurant food, but think this is the first time I've ever been so annoyed I just wanted to get up and leave. It would be very generous to say the duck was only overcooked. The closest I can come to describing it was literally like trying to eat a shoe. How any chef who knows anything about food could think someone would like it is beyond me.

But the most annoying thing was the fact that what I had specifically asked for had completely ignored and I knew she had not even bothered asking the chef if he did indeed cook it pink. In fact the only impression I got from the waitress was she didn't give a damn what you would like and her only concern was what time she was finished.

My one regret (apart from going to this restaurant) is the fact I had eaten more than one bite of this disaster. My excuse is that I was starving because I had purposely avoiding eating since an early breakfast in anticipation of Carlos's!!!

I did not however finish it. Think I managed about half of it before giving up and deciding I would grab a burger on the way back to our hotel.

To be fair when another member of the staff came to clear our table and asked how was our meal they seemed very concerned when I (for the first time ever in a restaurant) told them quite honest but politely that the duck was inedible and the polar opposite of what I'd asked for.

We were offered a complimentary dessert or glass of wine by way of apology. To be honest I would have liked to just leave as I hate complaining and get quite embarrassed by the whole thing but I thought it would be a bit petty and spiteful to reject what was a sincere gesture of apology from the waiter so we stayed for a glass of wine.

The waitress who had served our starter (not the main) also came over and apologised although was a little over the top. I mean who the hell asks you "Are you happy?" embarrassed yes from me and a reply from her "Good, if you're happy I'm happy".

The waitress who had ignored any preferences however made a point of ignoring us from then on, deftly managing to keep a large potted plant between her and us for the remainder of our stay and thus avoiding any eye contact, was quite an accomplishment really as it was not busy and is not a big restaurant.

In the end we paid the bill, left a decent tip (purely for the first waitress and waiter both of whom had worked hard to try and make it a pleasant evening), I wanted to just get out so knocked back the complimentary wine before making a swift exit back toward our hotel with a brief pitstop in a fast food place :-(

• Visited December 2011
3 Thank KingDamo
sarahmTenerife, Owner at Carlos, responded to this review, January 24, 2012
Dear KingDamo,

Thank you for your one and only comment on trip adviser and I am so sorry you were disappointed with your eving at Carlos Restaurant back in December, and I am very sruprised it has taken over a month for you to write this comment.

I have spoken with all staff present and the Chef, and it does seem that your request for medium Duck was not actually relayed to our kitchen for some unknown reason , or it would have been cooked pink as you like it and do apologise for this misunderstanding.

However you were checked within minutes of the meals being served and if you felt the duck was not cooked to your request you had ample opportunity to send it back, we could have cooked another or you could have ordered something else, but when you were checked you replied all was ok.
We always check our customers and would do our utmost at this point to put anything right.

As for the breaded brie, it is prepared on the premises , served on a bed of lettuce with a fruits of the forest sauce separate. ( As to my knowledge you cannot buy frozen in Tenerife supermarkets, but I have not actuallly looked.)

I am a little confused that you state that two of the waiting staff were so helpful, but you couldnt relay your problem to them initially, and indeed left a very generous tip at the end of the evening.

As for Trip adviser , I am not responsible for customers comments , and unlike some restaurants in tenerife our comments are all genuine with the majority being satisfied customers when they leave.

Once again thank you for your comment
Barcelona
“Don't bother eating anywhere else. It's just too good”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 15, 2012

Cant fault it. We eat here alot and last time took our son who asked why we bother eating anywhere else. It's just can't be faulted. Banoffee pie is to DIE for !!!!

Ayrshire, Scotland
“Deserves its excellent Trip Advisor rating”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

Went in search of Carlos after reading the great reviews on Trip Advisor and was so glad that we did. On any future visit to Tenerife I will ensure that I visit at least twice - once for the tapas and again to sample some of the fabulous sounding main courses. On this occasion we opted for the tapas - there were 4 of us so we each chose 3 dishes - a couple of doubles - but at least 9 or 10 different dishes and I can honestly say there wasnt a single thing left by the time we were finished. We all tasted a bit of everything and it was absolutely delicious. Even those I didnt really fancy were really tasty. I couldnt fault a single thing about Carlos. The waiters were great and very informative and the wine and sangria good too. Really cant recommend this place high enough. I sometimes stay at the La Vista end of the resort but I will always make sure I get a taxi to Carlos in future. Can't want to March to visit again.

One small thing is that if you dont like to eat too late then I would book beforehand as we rrived around 7.45pm without a reservation and had to go next door for a couple of drinks and return at 9pm which was fine for us but might not suit everyone.

• Visited November 2011
2 Thank JULESMAC
Los Abrigos, Spain
“Nothing special.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

I really don't understand why this restaurant is so highly evaluated.
The food was very average. The chicken in mango sauce and thai fish were good, but nothing exceptional. The steamed (or boiled) vegetables (incl. in the main course) were quite horrible. However, I could compliment the staff on the welcoming and attentive attitude.
Overall the evening felt more like visiting somebody's home (and eating home-cooked food), less an exceptional and memorable evening out.
(so get your expectations straight before heading to Carlos)

• Visited December 2011