“Needs maintenance”
Review of Red Dog Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Terrace Bay
Red Dog Inn
Ranked #2 of 2 Terrace Bay B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 13, 2013

We stayed in a room for three nights..two nights and a week later again in the same room. We found the initial TV remote non functional. After three other remotes we were given to try, we found that we could do all with the TV except turn it on.

The walls are thin. the bathtub veneer is wearing off. We complained after night two that the AC was not cycling properly and we had a boiling hot room. They promised to fix it. A week later it was not fixed and the TV remote again would not turn on the TV.

The property is dirty and coffee cups litter the parking lot. However the rooms ARE clean.

Very overpriced for what you get. With our non functional A/C we had to leave the windows open. The paper mill about a mile away stinks. That stink of course what we had to breathe all night.

The walls are thin. You can easily hear your neighbors TV.

Go next door.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed July 24, 2013

Made reservation via internet on July 19, 2013 for July 23, 2013 and didn't get confirmation until I wrote snooty note. I received email confirmation on July 21 and phonecall confirmation on July 22.
Unfortunately I was caught I in traffic for 7 1/2 hours due to a major accident on Highway 17 south of Nipigon, Ontario. Finally arrived in Terrace Bay at 1:50 a.m. July 24. Front desk left notes for three reservations advising their room number and that their key was in the door to the room.
Guess what!! There was no note for me! Since there were no vacancies left in Terrace Bay, I was forced to drive another hour to Marathon, Ontario, arriving at 3 a.m.
Luckily they still had 3 vacancies, so I got a bed.

Room Tip: don't stay here, they might give up your room!
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed July 18, 2013

Overpriced for what you got. We stopped next door and they were booked so directed us here as not many choices in town. Rooms were $30 more than the same room next door. 2 pillows and 1 blanket, no extras. Thin sheets, thin towels ( 1 each), no amenities, no breakfast. If it had been the same price as next door, I would have been ok with it.No one at the front desk so I had to go into the attached restaurant to see if someone would check us in.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Terrace Bay is a nice little northern Ontario town, overlooking Lake Superior. It has seen more prosperous days but this area has seemed determined to maintain a positive outlook. Several of the local businesses have kept a clean and functional appearance, unlike many of the other small towns through the Sault Ste. Marie to Thunder Bay corridor.

The Inn is very basic and functional. Decent room, comfortable bed, boring decor, reasonably clean, fridge, coffee machine, OK tv. The bed was comfortable. The small bathroom worked fine. Although located directly on the TC highway there was no objectionable traffic noise. There is a nice little restaurant with the Inn that we had tried a few years ago but it was closed for Canada Day - to give the staff a break, said the owner. But they were able to provide pizza and wings from their built-in Pizza Hut express franchise.

All in all, I would stay there again. The price seemed a bit high ($119) but considering the location I can understand the need to keep a business running in an area where seasonality must be a big factor.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 8, 2013

Only reason for not checking the excellent rating is that there is no staff at all anywhere at night so it is impossible to get help of any kind even by phoning the hotel desk. It is excellent though!!

On our motorcycle Circle Trail trip my friend and I stopped in Terrace Bay, Ontario because it was getting late and cool. It was about 21h00 or so and we quickly found out that nothing is open after 19h00 on a Thursday!! Room was clean, comfortable and reasonably priced. After unpacking, we were hungry and tired. The desk staff at the hotel informed us they had a Pizza Hut express and we wanted to to choose something from the menu she would have it ready asap!! 1 medium all dressed and 10 wings please we said. She said we could go to the lounge downstairs as it was open and we could have a beer with our order. Got downstairs, no one except the barmaid. We had a beer and opted to play a bit of pool for fun. Barmaid said go ahead - it's free! We did and after about an hour people started to trickle in. Within about 45 minutes after that it was full house and the beats were good and loud and drinks flowed. Had a great time meeting locals, playing pool and enjoying conversations with many! Very, very nice people and so welcoming it makes you want to stay for a week if not more. Ended up closing the bar and returning to our motel room. We were locked out as I could not find the key(yes, a real metal key with a plastic return mail tag attached to it!!). No one there to help, no staff at night, everything closed, what to do, what to do? Oh well, may as well sit on the motorbikes and be somewhat comfy. Surprise!! The key was on the seat all that time and we were able to enter our room around 03h30. Morning came quickly and after a shower and breakfast, we headed west on our journey. Breakfast was excellent and also reasonably priced. We will return on our next trip to Northern Ontario!!.

Room Tip: We had a room that had a front door on the parking and a rear door into the hallway. Perfect for peo...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 3, 2013 via mobile

Unfortunately this was the last hotel with rooms available when we arrived. The room cost $89,,,,very small,,,,very small double bed,,,, no soap or shampoo in the room. Too much money for what you get. Will be my last choice in Terrace Bay,,,, if I stop here again.

• Stayed: July 2013
Reviewed January 30, 2013

I've stayed at this inn several times for work related travel in the area. I've never been here "in season" so the place is usually not too full. They have always been quick to check me in and the rooms were always clean and adequate. The mini-fridges are nice for storing some small snack food and the cable offering is good. Still tube TVs and I suppose it will stay that way until they reach the end of their useful life. Heat was good, although a little loud (fans). Hot water is good and solid. Internet is fine. Restaurant is OK, good salad bar. Needs more people coming through it to keep the kitchen "hot". Minimal staff.

Room Tip: They have drive ups which are convenient if you have a lot of stuff. Second floor (newer) places a...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Been to Red Dog Inn? Share your experiences!