“Loved the food!”

Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitchurch
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 17, 2009

Had a lovely weekend away with our friends at the Hill Valley near Whitchurch. The check in experience didn't go so well but our rooms were lovely and the bathroom was fab - spacious shower and separate bath. It was a really cold weekend weather wise and the heater in our room didn't work properly - however a small fan heater was provided.
We had dinner in the restaurant for the 2 nights and it was faultless - the food and service was excellent.
The Spa area lacked a jacuzzi but was otherwise ok.
If you are into golf - it looked a lovely course - but its something we aren't into!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with friends

Reviewed February 16, 2009

Myself and hubby stayed here with another couple of friends. We booked the hotel on their website and got a special rate of dinner bed and breakfast for £110. The girls were going to use the spa and the boys were going to play golf but because of the snow the golf course was closed. We still went for a swim, sauna and steam room. We were a bit disappointed that there was no jacuzzi and someone had moved the water out of the sauna so it wasn't that hot in there, but the pool was a good size and the changing rooms had everything u need. It is a short walk outside from the spa to the hotel and its not a covered walkway.
The hotel room was a good size with lovely large bed, sitting area, double doors which open making a balcony and large bathroom with seperate shower cubicle.
In the evening we booked a table in the restaurant. The waiting staff told us that they had a new chef and we were not disappointed......the food was absolutely gorgeous and the service was excellent, there was nothing too much trouble for the staff and they were so friendly and professional. We did find the drinks and wine expensive, approx £20+ for a bottle of white wine but i suppose thats normal hotel prices.
We all enjoyed our stay and will definately return.

• Stayed: February 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed February 4, 2009

Have recently returned from our second visit to Hill Valley.

Had a ground floor room with zip link beds, which meant it was the size of a superking bed. Great, we have one of those at home so always struggle in a standard double. There was a little terrace with a table and 2 chairs outside the french doors, overlooking the golf course. Shame the weather was FAR too cold to enjoy that. Luckily the room had a large heater/radiator which warmed the room well.

The rooms are a good size, bathroom is fine and has a good shower. Mini-bar expensive, but aren't they all. Paid £6.50 for a diet coke, juice and a large bag of Maltesers.

The lounge area off the lobby has lots of comfy chairs and sofas, and also overlooks the course, it is nice to sit here and enjoy a book and a coffee (£3.95) as I did.

We had our breakfast in the restaurant on our first morning, which was fine but had room service on the second. It was delivered slightly ahead of the requested time, which wasn't a problem but unfortunately they did not include all the items we ordered. It was only our cold juice drinks missing so I wasn't that bothered about calling Reception. Although this happened on our previous trip too (missing items, usually drinks) so I'll probably not order room serivce again. Tray charge for breakfast is £3.00 per person.

We did not use the restaurant for dinner so cannot comment, but I have used the Sports Bar for light meals, both of which were fine. Freshly made, hot etc.

I had a hot stone massage on our previous trip (Nov 2008) at the Spa, which was wonderful and my husband has played a few rounds of golf on the Sapphire course, which he enjoyed.

We will stay there again.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2009

I was at a recent conference at this hotel and I have to say for a four star hotel I was left disappointed. The room was either freezing cold or boiling hot, with the bathroom being always cold and not very clean. It also had a disabled accessible bath so as an able bodied person I couldn't lie down in it so there were no 'relaxing baths with scented oils' as promised by their website. Incidentally there wasn't even any scented oils. The bathroom was shabby with no loo seat cover or toilet roll holder and the tap water was never warm. The lack of shower curtain (or sign there had ever been one) meant floods of water all over the floor which was both unpleasant and hazardous.

That was coupled with the dreadful catering provided for the evening meals (for example badly prepared and undercooked vegetables, over cooked fish with a sloppy flavourless tomato sauce and a fruit salad that a school kitchen would have been embarrassed by). It took one of their bar staff 10 minutes to make us two gin and tonics which were presented with old bruised limes in. He then charged us almost ten pounds for them.

With the exception of one of the check in staff, the entire hotel serving staff were slow and unhappy, and in fact on check in one was celebrating as it was his last day and he couldn't wait to get out of the place.

I didn't choose to stay here - the conference just happened to be booked there, but having seen the website write up and having stayed at a good Macdonald chain hotel in Edinburgh I was looking forward to my stay. I was left pretty disappointed.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank on-a-coffee-break
Reviewed January 9, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for a relaxing New Years eve. The room was spacious, clean and comfortable with big chairs and a TV that had speakers in the bathroom. The bed was also comfy, with soft duvets and pillows. We had dinner which was mostly tasty without ever being outstanding. Breakfast was also good but the buffet part of it was a little limited in terms of choice. I put this down to it being New Years day. The gym was modern and good, the pool was fine but often full of kids and the spa was only really treatments for which you have to pay. I would definitely stay at a Macdonald hotel again, but would like to try another one next time.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 28, 2008

I stayed here the night before my wedding with my mum, and on the night of my wedding with my husband and many of our guests. We had a fabulous time and really enjoyed the stay, but there are a few areas that need improvement. The good things first: the rooms were fantastic (high quality furnishings and linen, wonderful bathrooms and huge shower, well-stocked refreshments), the evening meal was amazing, and all the staff were really friendly - and housekeeping were very accommodating, allowing us to check-in early, and coming back to clean our room and rearrange furniture once we'd left for the wedding. Treatments were really good, and guests who used the fitness facilities said they were excellent.We ordered room service for lunch, which was very kindly given to us free of charge. In our "honeymoon room" we found a platter of fresh fruit, hand made chocolates and champagne. A lovely touch!
Areas to improve: booking proved to be a bit of a nightmare. Several mix-ups - I booked all the rooms and provided names, on the morning of the wedding when checking the booking found double-booked rooms, un-booked rooms, different room rates - and the check-in time changed between our booking and our arrival. Very short-staffed on reception, the staff did their very best to help, but on Sunday morning they had two wedding parties checking out of 80 rooms - chaos, with only one receptionist on. Breakfast on the first morning was wonderful, but on the second morning lots of confusion. I'd booked 50% of my guests through the hotel website at £83 per room, and then 50% through a special contract for the wedding at £85 per room. Those on the contract had a much inferior buffet style breakfast which wasn't topped-up regularly enough and no choice, while those booked through the website had a beautiful waiter-style breakfast - we couldn't sit together either. Doesn't sound like a huge problem, but we had really hoped for us all to be sat together as a family, but we were in separate breakfast rooms. The test: would I go again - yes I would, but not as a large party, thats where it all fell down. Stayed in many Macdonald hotels and always enjoyed them - quality is excellent and very relaxing.

• Stayed: September 2008
Reviewed April 21, 2008

Disappointing disappointing - a good idea but failed badly, too many golfers (we were 2 of 11 waiting to play at one hole alone) - gave up after just 6 holes the first day - no heating in bedroom / service poor in evening restaurant / bar area - we would not go back, which is very disappointing given the high standards at sister hotel Portal!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank thePB
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitchurch
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Lion Quays
#1 of 1 in Weston Rhyn
23 mi away
Park Inn by Radisson Telford

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!