“Downhill Valley”

GreenLeadersGold level
Burnley, United Kingdom
“Downhill Valley”
Reviewed March 17, 2014

I have visited Hill Valley every year for the last 6 years, other members of our group over 20 years. This could well be the last which would be a shame as it has become of a tradition.
Our party had played golf on the way down to Hill Valley and for most of us a good soak in the swimming pool and spa would have gone down a treat. Unfortunately the pool was closed and so we would have to make do with a few beers in the bar prior to dinner.
On arrival we were told we could only use our discount card in the 'Masters Bar'. This wouldn't have been a problem but there was only one member of staff in there, no glasses and no draught beer. I tell a lie, there was beer but it was warm and flat. Not the best of starts.
There was a nice addition to the bar from last year - a snooker table. Great we can have a game while waiting for the staff to bring up drinks from the downstairs bar. Balls and cues available from reception with a £10 deposit. No chalk and no scoreboard.
Down to the restaurant for dinner and the service, I use that word grudgingly, was poor. No one asking if we would like drinks or wine with the meal. Starters brought out for the group of 18 10-15 mins apart. We had pre-ordered so shouldn't have been too difficult but the staff began to serve another group who had arrived, surely it would be better to finish one group before starting on the rest.
Breakfast the following morning was fine, although as a previous reviewer has commented, the food was very greasy.
Evening meal on the Saturday night was to be in a function room rather than the restaurant, we didn't mind that but I think we felt we were a minor distraction to the hotel who were hosting a wedding that day and night.
We were served bread rolls with the starters but we had to request butter on four occasions. It finally came in the shape of a small bowl covered with a nice stainless steel bowl. On lifting the lid we were faced with one 2cm cube of butter, for 18 people!
I do have to say that the standard of the rooms and the facility as a whole is excellent and the reason we return year after year. This year, however, just seemed to be one little niggle after another.
The golf course in the past has always been very enjoyable to play. We appreciate the weather has been tough this winter for greenkeeping staff but the state of the course was very poor. It is easy to blame the weather but in this case I think it would be an excuse as opposed to a reason. The course is looking very tired and very untidy. In my opinion it is in need of serious investment or Hill Valley will very quickly lose the custom of golfing groups like ours who return faithfully year on year.
The cost of drinks alone would bring in more than enough revenue to ensure work can be carried out. I do think the management need to have long hard look at how much business they actually lose by over pricing. Price competitively and you will certainly sell more and make more profit in the long run.
Will we return again next year? I think the answer could well be no.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, April 25, 2014
Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent golf break with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley.

I am aware of some of the issues you and your golf party faced during your stay with us and I must offer my sincere apologies for the shortfalls in service during your stay. The problems you faced surrounding the Masters Bar are quite simply not acceptable. I recall the problem with the glasses and it was I who personally was running up and down stairs to collect glasses for you as the large party in our function suite used more glasses than we anticipated. This is a very basic mistake and it is really unfortunate that you and your party were the guests who suffered during the evening. I wasn’t aware that the beer was warm until after the weekend. I’m sure you passed on your comments to the team; however I was not made aware until the following week. I called technical services in and the problem was rectified almost immediately. I was also unaware of any issues surrounding your dining experience.

I did speak to one member in particular and apologised for the Friday evening and I know we organised some bacon sandwiches the following day. I know this is scant consolation for the issues you faced and in hindsight there was so much more we could have offered.
I take your comments on in relation to the pool; however you must also appreciate that there was very little we could do at the time. There was a problem with the plant room which was out of our control and we had to wait for a technician to come and make the repairs; however due to the other issues you faced I’m sure you would have been able to accept this but like you rightly pointed out it was one thing after another.

I would argue with you about the condition of the course however. We have had a particularly harsh winter which resulted in the course being approx. 4-6 weeks behind schedule for the summer season. The week prior to your visit we had just top dressed the greens which meant they were a little uneven; however this work is necessary and the best time for us to complete this work is in March. I agree, both courses have been in much better condition in previous years around March/February but we have found it very difficult this year. The courses now are in perfect condition, as we have a couple of weeks of dry weather which not only stimulates growth but we are able to get all our machinery out on the course without fear of ripping up the course.

I do agree with the majority of your feedback and of course we would like you to return next year. We very much appreciate your business over the last 20 years and we would very much like to continue this relationship. Admittedly we didn’t get it right on your last visit and following the email I have sent you recently I hope I can speak to you in person to organise your golf trip for next year.

Yours sincerely
Terence P Southward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (238)
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 16, 2014 via mobile

Had a lovely time, upgraded to executive room, wine and patio over looking golf course.
Spa great but floor very dangerously slipy even a member of staff warned us ....accident waiting to happen.
Evening meal was fab, breakfast selection great, but very very greasy , first morning bacon and black pudding was rock hard, the rest very greasy. We did compaln and the next morning it was fresher but remained very greasy. Something the chefs need to address, as had a breakfast at the moreton park hotel which is a very basic hotel but breakfast fresh and oil free.
The staff at this hotel were lovely and so friendly and helpful.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I was delighted that on the whole you had an enjoyable stay with us; however it was disappointing that you were unhappy with your breakfast as this is an area of the business Macdonald Hotels are extremely passionate about. I have taken your comments on board and I have discussed this with my executive chef. I have instructed him to carry out some further training with his breakfast team.

The leisure team have spent a great deal of time on the poolside where we have administered a special cleansing agent that has not only cleaned the tiles but has taken the sheen off that was making the tiles slippy.

Once again thank you for your feedback and I sincerely hope you decide to return to Macdonald Hill Valley again in the future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Went to Hill Valley for a hen party. The experience was lovely (mostly!), treatment was amazing, surroundings comfortable and aesthetic. The afternoon tea included in the price was tasty and adequate, though might not have been enough for big lads! Pool and sauna were great. Staff were mostly excellent, professional, friendly and welcoming - except the young man who met my enquiry at the reception desk with a sharp and rather rude "Hold on, I can't hear a word you're saying!" The bad news - and it IS bad, I fear - was that our party of ten had been promised complimentary tea, coffee and water throughout the day. We arrived in the lounge to find there was no hot water to make coffee and tea, and no bottled water to drink, no glasses, no sugar, no teaspoons and no milk! We had to trek down four flights of stairs to ask for supplies and these took some time to arrive. The second time we went up to the lounge we found exactly the same situation! This time we had to go down twice to beg for supplies. We even had to beg for toilet paper to be replenished in the ladies. The spa is good value for money, but these oversights meant we spent a proportion of our time being irritated and inconvenienced and we wasted our precious relaxing and girl-bonding time. For goodness sake, sort out your system!

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you for taking to pass on your feedback following your recent spa day here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I was pleased that you and your friends enjoyed the majority of your day; however as you quite rightly pointed out the service you experienced in our spa lounge is unacceptable. We have recently recruited a new spa lounge assistant who is now solely responsible for our guests in the spa lounge and also the replenishment of all the refreshments on offer in there.

I would like to pass on my apologies for the shortfalls in service you and your friends receive and I would urge you to contact me directly on gm.hillvalley@macdonald-hotels.co.uk if you would like to return with the girls for a spa day later in the year.

Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 7, 2014 via mobile

Just got back from a lovely midweek break at hill valley and we didn't even play golf. A good spot to explore the Cheshire & Shropshire countryside. We had a ground floor room which I would recommend as each has its own little patio & chairs. Room was excellent. Staff were very polite and friendly. Dinner was very good and we can recommend the steak. Breakfast also good and is cooked to order.
All in all we were made to feel very welcome and will definitely be returning.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. It was very pleasing to read such positive feedback and I hope you decide to return to Hill Valley again later in they year. I would recommend you try and get back during the summer months when the resort looks at its best. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Stoke-on-trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2014

really enjoyed our day everything was great. the facilities where spotlessly clean the food was excellent has was the massage and treatment. would recommend this place for a truly relaxing day we loved it. also the staff where really nice very polite and seemed to enjoy what they did

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
Many thanks for taking the time to post your review of you recent spa day experience here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I was delighted to read you had such a wonderful experience and I sincerely hope to see you return to Hill Valley again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

My husband and I really enjoyed our relaxing day at the spa. We thought that the price (approximately £50 each) was good value as the pool was lovely and we enjoyed the steam room and sauna. As part of the spa day we also had afternoon tea, which was filling and well presented. All the sandwiches were tuna, so if you don't like tuna, let them know in advance. A nice touch is that we could help ourselves to a good selection of complimentary teas throughout the day.

We both enjoyed our relaxing lava stone massages and the staff were all very friendly and professional.

Be careful with the slippers provided as the floor by the pool can become very slippery - bare feet are best!

We certainly visit this spa again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alice22
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback following your recent spa day experience here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I was extremely pleased that you enjoyed your spa day with us; however I am unsure what has happened with your afternoon tea. The afternoon tea spa package has proved to be one of the most popular packages but I can assure you that you most certainly should not have received a plate of tuna sandwiches, and I would like to offer my sincere apologies for this. I have spoken with my executive chef and instructed him to monitor what is leaving the kitchen and to ensure there is a varied selection of sandwiches and home-made cakes for the afternoon tea.

Following several guest feedback in relation to the pool side the leisure team have spent some considerable time cleaning the poolside with a particular chemical which removes a very thin layer and consequently makes the tile less slippery.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the very near future.

Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Reviewed March 2, 2014

read reviews on here of poor service etc but personally for us it was 1 of the best hotels we've stayed in...really clean...peaceful...staff couldn't do anything more for us...really pleasant!!! food was very good for evening meal and for breakfast...the only thing we could find to moan about really was that the floor by the pool was slippery...but we're being really picky there!!! would recommend to anyone...you really wouldn't be disappointed staying here!!! a+ from us

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Robert S
Thank you for such a wonderful review. I am delighted that you had such an enjoyable stay with us. I have received a number of comments in relation to the poolside and following the feedback the team have spent some considerable time cleaning the poolside with a particular chemical which removes a very thin layer and consequently makes the tile less slippery. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitchurch
Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf and Spa
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Haughton Hall
Haughton Hall
#1 of 4 in Shifnal

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!