I have visited Hill Valley every year for the last 6 years, other members of our group over 20 years. This could well be the last which would be a shame as it has become of a tradition.
Our party had played golf on the way down to Hill Valley and for most of us a good soak in the swimming pool and spa would have gone down a treat. Unfortunately the pool was closed and so we would have to make do with a few beers in the bar prior to dinner.
On arrival we were told we could only use our discount card in the 'Masters Bar'. This wouldn't have been a problem but there was only one member of staff in there, no glasses and no draught beer. I tell a lie, there was beer but it was warm and flat. Not the best of starts.
There was a nice addition to the bar from last year - a snooker table. Great we can have a game while waiting for the staff to bring up drinks from the downstairs bar. Balls and cues available from reception with a £10 deposit. No chalk and no scoreboard.
Down to the restaurant for dinner and the service, I use that word grudgingly, was poor. No one asking if we would like drinks or wine with the meal. Starters brought out for the group of 18 10-15 mins apart. We had pre-ordered so shouldn't have been too difficult but the staff began to serve another group who had arrived, surely it would be better to finish one group before starting on the rest.
Breakfast the following morning was fine, although as a previous reviewer has commented, the food was very greasy.
Evening meal on the Saturday night was to be in a function room rather than the restaurant, we didn't mind that but I think we felt we were a minor distraction to the hotel who were hosting a wedding that day and night.
We were served bread rolls with the starters but we had to request butter on four occasions. It finally came in the shape of a small bowl covered with a nice stainless steel bowl. On lifting the lid we were faced with one 2cm cube of butter, for 18 people!
I do have to say that the standard of the rooms and the facility as a whole is excellent and the reason we return year after year. This year, however, just seemed to be one little niggle after another.
The golf course in the past has always been very enjoyable to play. We appreciate the weather has been tough this winter for greenkeeping staff but the state of the course was very poor. It is easy to blame the weather but in this case I think it would be an excuse as opposed to a reason. The course is looking very tired and very untidy. In my opinion it is in need of serious investment or Hill Valley will very quickly lose the custom of golfing groups like ours who return faithfully year on year.
The cost of drinks alone would bring in more than enough revenue to ensure work can be carried out. I do think the management need to have long hard look at how much business they actually lose by over pricing. Price competitively and you will certainly sell more and make more profit in the long run.
Will we return again next year? I think the answer could well be no.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa in the heart of Shropshire, a golfer's paradise with two challenging courses to get your teeth into and a wonderful Spa with Rasul, rock sauna and eight treatment rooms for those who just want to lounge around and relax. Surrounded by peaceful grounds, it's amazing how accessible this hotel is in Whitchurch on the A49 and close to the major motorways; M53, M56, M6 and M54. Be inspired with plenty of local attractions on your doorstep including nearby Chester Zoo and the Ironbridge Museums and after a busy day, retire back to the hotel for a delicious meal produced using only the finest, quality ingredients. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, Orbitz, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Hotel.de, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf And Country Club
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Country Club Hotel Whitchurch
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel Country
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa Whitchurch, Shropshire, UK