“At oposite ends of the scale - weird”

Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitchurch
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed June 12, 2013

This is a strange review for me to pen because this was a business trip and I am slightly uncomfortable giving a negative slant. Firstly the good points:
The rooms are extremely good, spacious and clean with a iron & board, trouser press, safe, mini-bar (not stocked) large tv functional writing desk with stationary, hair dryer and even a bible! The patio set completes the picture. The bathroom is of a very high standard with one of the best showers I have ever used, anywhere. There is a large bath, comfortable loo and heated towel rail with fluffy large towels and to complete the picture here some nice toiletries consisting of flannel, shampoo / conditioner, soap and cap.
Now for the 'oh dear' This hotel could be a really great place however it lets itself down spectacularly, for example; why have the nice (and very rare these-days) touch of brown and white sugar lumps when the tea and coffee takes so long to arrive?
Why have create the illusion of huge beds when the two single beds pushed together have under-blankets that don't fit and seem to be different heights?
Why have two bars when the one with the full size snooker table (and is 20% cheaper is never open?
Why only have two menus alternating every other day?
Why is the reception understaffed but the bar overstaffed?
Why oh why is the service in the restaurant so slow when there is so many waiting staff who don't communicate with each other?
And, why does the cooked breakfast look so appetising on the menu and taste so awful. Dear manager, if you are reading this, just get rid of the bacon, you bang on about your suppliers being locally sourced etc, well get rid of them, go to Waitrose and buy thick, smoked British back bacon and COOK IT PROPERLY. There are nice touches like the bread but the food takes too long to arrive which really spoils the experience. On three occasions in our party, whole courses failed to arrive which is truly unacceptable.
This is why I feel uncomfortable with this review, its at complete opposite ends of the scale, either terrible or very good
Weird!

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank rover901
Write a ReviewReviews (1,473)

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We booked an executive room, which we understood had a golf view. We ended up in a room facing the drive. We went to the bar for a bite to eat. A waitress came and gave us menus quite quickly. We had then had to wait ages from then on. The food was ok, when we evetually got it. The waitress seemed very stressed and was not really friendly. When we got back to the room, the sheets had holes in them. The next morning after breakfast, where we had to wait for several items, I complained. The duty manager said he would look into it. He phoned me later to offer to move our room, although stated we hadn't booked that room, although it was confusing. The golf facing room was far better. I would agree with previous comments that reception needs more staff as there was only ever one person. We never saw a visible manager either. If you are a golfer it is probably an ok hotel to stay in as the course looked amazing but anything else I wouldn't bother. We won't be going back.

• Stayed: June 2013
Reviewed June 11, 2013

Having come from 3 days at the MacDonald hotel in Stratford, this was very much a comparison. This is primarily a golf resort and we don't play golf, purely chose the hotel based on location we wanted to visit. I think if you went for the golf you may well think it was a lot better value overall.
Hotel itself, rooms, grounds, spa, etc were all lovely, couldn't fault them. Luxury touches like huge shower, quality toiletries, patio, in-room fridge, bottled water & half bottle of wine, were all appreciated. Bed was huge & very comfortable. Our patio got the sun up till about midday (even room nos) Odd numbers got the sun in the afternoon & evening & overlooked the golf course.
We ate dinner in the bar on the first night but it was mediocre and certainly not worth the money - Brewers Fayre standard but over twice the price.
Service at breakfast a bit hit or miss too - sometimes very difficult to catch staff attention for anything, and one morning our extra toast simply didn't arrive.
Overall, nicer than the Alveston Manor, but at £180 per night, still a bit "style over substance"

Room Tip: We were 118, ground floor with patio that got sun in the morning. Odd numbered rooms, and also 102...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 8, 2013

A beautiful hilly ( hence the name) golf course surrounds the hotel and we'd booked a course view room with a patio for a nice relaxing BH weekend. On checking in we found the dinner reservations we'd made beforehand by phone ( as asked to do by themselves ) had been made for the wrong time for the first night and not made at all for the other two nights so we were unable to get the times we'd booked for the whole weekend.
The gentleman on reception who was very nice made us new reservations and gave us our room key and I happened to say on getting it "I hope it's on the nice side and not overlooking the driveway" nope....it was on the bad side overlooking the drive and car park with no patio or the "stunning view" that was in the description of the room we had booked and paid for. The young man apologised again and changed our room to the nice view we had booked.

The restaurant was nice with a small conservatory you could eat in with a lovely view of the course. The food was nice but pretty limiting for a vegetarian as it was only pasta, tortelini or ravioli but plenty of choices for non vegetarians. Over the weekend we tried to order champagne and wine with dinner and four times the waitress had to come back to our table to tell us they didn't have that bottle and apologise. The poor girl was cringing and in the end we had to ask well what do you have in stock ?

Breakfast was plentiful and served by lovely staff, cold buffet and cooked traditional, however on eating my vegetarian breakfast I cut into my scrambled eggs and came up with a slice of black pudding and it certainly wasn't vegetarian ! I don't eat meat because I was diagnosed with cancer so black pudding is just about the worst thing I could eat !!! I was quite shocked that they could make a mistake like that and could not eat my breakfast after that as there were bits of it on most of my eggs. I told the waitress but unfortunately nobody came to apologise until the next day at breakfast.

I ordered a paper to be delivered to my room each day, it didn't arrive so I rang reception and they said it was there, however when we went to collect it there was no paper. We worked out that when they had changed the room they hadn't changed the number for the paper so it must have gone to the original room. There were no spare papers so I could not have one but on returning from breakfast we discovered that one of the girls on reception had driven to a shop and bought me one. I thought that was such a nice thing to do and definitely going the extra mile.

All in all it wasn't a very succesful stay as everything we booked or ordered was wrong or not available but the big redeeming feature were the staff, they tried very hard to put each thing right and were always so pleasant and helpful. Would we return...the jury is still out on that one.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Maldive_lover1
Reviewed June 4, 2013

Very pleasant and relaxing hotel. After a lond and tiring day, whether working or playing, this is an ideal place to unwind. Only two negative points - the cost of drinks at the bar and the fact that there was never anybody at reception in the afternoon/evening.

Room Tip: For golfers, it has to be beside the first tee! try 107.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. The hotel certainly does allow you to relax and switch off due to our rural location. I was concerned to read your comments in relation to the staffing on our reception desk as the desk should be manned at all times. I will certainly be discussing your feedback with my front office manager and instructing her to investigate this as a matter of urgency. Once again many thanks for your feedback. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I played golf here several times, 20 years ago. This was the first time I've been back since the hotel was built. It's added a great deal to the venue. We played the Emerald course, which is really enjoyable, but lots of 'blind shots' and the greens were a bit slow. The rooms are big and comfortable and the facilities are the usual superb Macdonald standard. The girls enjoyed a variety of excellent spa treatments. As others have pointed out, the rooms on the golf course side are preferable to the car park entrance road.
We didn't use the restaurant for dinner, but the breakfasts were very good, although not worth the £15-00 to £17-50 charge. The bar area is spacious and well furnished, but the drinks are way too expensive. We unwittingly paid full price for our room too, so we missed out on the more reasonable wedding rate that our friends managed to get.
I get up early, so I wasn't too bothered about the greenkeeper cutting the grass on the practice green at 7:20am on the Sunday morning, but I'm sure a few of the wedding guests could have done without it after the late night before.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for a golf or spa trip, but try and get a special offer or deal.

Room Tip: Golf course side is preferable.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends

Many thanks for your feedback following your recent stay here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. We are blessed with two wonderful courses which are very different and I am pleased that you managed to get out and play our championship course. Unfortunately we do have to cut all the greens every morning; however following your feedback I will speak to my head greenkeeper to see if we can cut the practice green a little later as it is so close to the bedroom block. I hope it is not another 20 years until your next visit to Hill Valley. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Took a friend here for a ladies lunch spa day. The lady on reception was lovely and seemed to genuinely want to ensure we had a relaxing day. We took advantage of the ladies lunch deal and the staff were very accommodating when we asked to change the time of our lunch at short notice.

Facilities are good and there are specified times for children in the pool meaning that you are not constantly swimming around or being splashed by children, all adding to a relaxing day. Pool area was a very nice temperature and the steam room and sauna were also just right!

Lunch was lovely and we then went down to the relaxation room to await our treatments. The relaxation room was certainly the most relaxing I have been to so far, so much so that my friend managed to drift off!

I had a back massage as my treatment and had a touch of sunburn and a stiff shoulder. The therapist picked up on this immediately and ensured I was comfortable at all times and gave me the most wonderful massage. My friend got a facial which she said was equally good.

Altogether a fantastic day, thank you!

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you for your wonderful comments in relation to your recent spa day here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable experience with us and I certainly hope to see you here at Hill Valley again very soon. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitchurch
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Park Inn by Radisson Telford
Lion Quays
Lion Quays
#1 of 1 in Weston Rhyn

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!