This is a strange review for me to pen because this was a business trip and I am slightly uncomfortable giving a negative slant. Firstly the good points:
The rooms are extremely good, spacious and clean with a iron & board, trouser press, safe, mini-bar (not stocked) large tv functional writing desk with stationary, hair dryer and even a bible! The patio set completes the picture. The bathroom is of a very high standard with one of the best showers I have ever used, anywhere. There is a large bath, comfortable loo and heated towel rail with fluffy large towels and to complete the picture here some nice toiletries consisting of flannel, shampoo / conditioner, soap and cap.
Now for the 'oh dear' This hotel could be a really great place however it lets itself down spectacularly, for example; why have the nice (and very rare these-days) touch of brown and white sugar lumps when the tea and coffee takes so long to arrive?
Why have create the illusion of huge beds when the two single beds pushed together have under-blankets that don't fit and seem to be different heights?
Why have two bars when the one with the full size snooker table (and is 20% cheaper is never open?
Why only have two menus alternating every other day?
Why is the reception understaffed but the bar overstaffed?
Why oh why is the service in the restaurant so slow when there is so many waiting staff who don't communicate with each other?
And, why does the cooked breakfast look so appetising on the menu and taste so awful. Dear manager, if you are reading this, just get rid of the bacon, you bang on about your suppliers being locally sourced etc, well get rid of them, go to Waitrose and buy thick, smoked British back bacon and COOK IT PROPERLY. There are nice touches like the bread but the food takes too long to arrive which really spoils the experience. On three occasions in our party, whole courses failed to arrive which is truly unacceptable.
This is why I feel uncomfortable with this review, its at complete opposite ends of the scale, either terrible or very good
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa in the heart of Shropshire, a golfer's paradise with two challenging courses to get your teeth into and a wonderful Spa with Rasul, rock sauna and eight treatment rooms for those who just want to lounge around and relax. Surrounded by peaceful grounds, it's amazing how accessible this hotel is in Whitchurch on the A49 and close to the major motorways; M53, M56, M6 and M54. Be inspired with plenty of local attractions on your doorstep including nearby Chester Zoo and the Ironbridge Museums and after a busy day, retire back to the hotel for a delicious meal produced using only the finest, quality ingredients. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, getaroom.com, Orbitz, Cancelon and Evoline ltd so you can book your Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Country Club Hotel Whitchurch
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf And Country Club
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel Country
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa Whitchurch, Shropshire, UK