“Beautiful setting” 3 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Beautiful setting”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 8, 2013

A beautiful hilly ( hence the name) golf course surrounds the hotel and we'd booked a course view room with a patio for a nice relaxing BH weekend. On checking in we found the dinner reservations we'd made beforehand by phone ( as asked to do by themselves ) had been made for the wrong time for the first night and not made at all for the other two nights so we were unable to get the times we'd booked for the whole weekend.
The gentleman on reception who was very nice made us new reservations and gave us our room key and I happened to say on getting it "I hope it's on the nice side and not overlooking the driveway" nope....it was on the bad side overlooking the drive and car park with no patio or the "stunning view" that was in the description of the room we had booked and paid for. The young man apologised again and changed our room to the nice view we had booked.

The restaurant was nice with a small conservatory you could eat in with a lovely view of the course. The food was nice but pretty limiting for a vegetarian as it was only pasta, tortelini or ravioli but plenty of choices for non vegetarians. Over the weekend we tried to order champagne and wine with dinner and four times the waitress had to come back to our table to tell us they didn't have that bottle and apologise. The poor girl was cringing and in the end we had to ask well what do you have in stock ?

Breakfast was plentiful and served by lovely staff, cold buffet and cooked traditional, however on eating my vegetarian breakfast I cut into my scrambled eggs and came up with a slice of black pudding and it certainly wasn't vegetarian ! I don't eat meat because I was diagnosed with cancer so black pudding is just about the worst thing I could eat !!! I was quite shocked that they could make a mistake like that and could not eat my breakfast after that as there were bits of it on most of my eggs. I told the waitress but unfortunately nobody came to apologise until the next day at breakfast.

I ordered a paper to be delivered to my room each day, it didn't arrive so I rang reception and they said it was there, however when we went to collect it there was no paper. We worked out that when they had changed the room they hadn't changed the number for the paper so it must have gone to the original room. There were no spare papers so I could not have one but on returning from breakfast we discovered that one of the girls on reception had driven to a shop and bought me one. I thought that was such a nice thing to do and definitely going the extra mile.

All in all it wasn't a very succesful stay as everything we booked or ordered was wrong or not available but the big redeeming feature were the staff, they tried very hard to put each thing right and were always so pleasant and helpful. Would we return...the jury is still out on that one.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Maldive_lover1

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Mailhac
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

Very pleasant and relaxing hotel. After a lond and tiring day, whether working or playing, this is an ideal place to unwind. Only two negative points - the cost of drinks at the bar and the fact that there was never anybody at reception in the afternoon/evening.

Room Tip: For golfers, it has to be beside the first tee! try 107.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. The hotel certainly does allow you to relax and switch off due to our rural location. I was concerned to read your comments in relation to the staffing on our reception desk as the desk should be manned at all times. I will certainly be discussing your feedback with my front office manager and instructing her to investigate this as a matter of urgency. Once again many thanks for your feedback. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I played golf here several times, 20 years ago. This was the first time I've been back since the hotel was built. It's added a great deal to the venue. We played the Emerald course, which is really enjoyable, but lots of 'blind shots' and the greens were a bit slow. The rooms are big and comfortable and the facilities are the usual superb Macdonald standard. The girls enjoyed a variety of excellent spa treatments. As others have pointed out, the rooms on the golf course side are preferable to the car park entrance road.
We didn't use the restaurant for dinner, but the breakfasts were very good, although not worth the £15-00 to £17-50 charge. The bar area is spacious and well furnished, but the drinks are way too expensive. We unwittingly paid full price for our room too, so we missed out on the more reasonable wedding rate that our friends managed to get.
I get up early, so I wasn't too bothered about the greenkeeper cutting the grass on the practice green at 7:20am on the Sunday morning, but I'm sure a few of the wedding guests could have done without it after the late night before.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for a golf or spa trip, but try and get a special offer or deal.

Room Tip: Golf course side is preferable.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Many thanks for your feedback following your recent stay here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. We are blessed with two wonderful courses which are very different and I am pleased that you managed to get out and play our championship course. Unfortunately we do have to cut all the greens every morning; however following your feedback I will speak to my head greenkeeper to see if we can cut the practice green a little later as it is so close to the bedroom block. I hope it is not another 20 years until your next visit to Hill Valley. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

Took a friend here for a ladies lunch spa day. The lady on reception was lovely and seemed to genuinely want to ensure we had a relaxing day. We took advantage of the ladies lunch deal and the staff were very accommodating when we asked to change the time of our lunch at short notice.

Facilities are good and there are specified times for children in the pool meaning that you are not constantly swimming around or being splashed by children, all adding to a relaxing day. Pool area was a very nice temperature and the steam room and sauna were also just right!

Lunch was lovely and we then went down to the relaxation room to await our treatments. The relaxation room was certainly the most relaxing I have been to so far, so much so that my friend managed to drift off!

I had a back massage as my treatment and had a touch of sunburn and a stiff shoulder. The therapist picked up on this immediately and ensured I was comfortable at all times and gave me the most wonderful massage. My friend got a facial which she said was equally good.

Altogether a fantastic day, thank you!

• Stayed May 2013
      Cleanliness
Thank you for your wonderful comments in relation to your recent spa day here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable experience with us and I certainly hope to see you here at Hill Valley again very soon. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Hereford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2013

Just had a three day short break at Macdonalds by Whitchurch played both courses which were good, the shorter one sapphire the three pars a good test on our short game.Hotel very nice good swimming pool. Staff very friendly rooms fine food excellent will be calling in for a second break for sure.

Room Tip: all rooms from the first floor and second very good views.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Many thanks for your valued feedback following your recent short break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I was very pleased to read through your comments and I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Hill Valley again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Shrewsbury
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

The hotel is nice, the spa/pool areas are very clean. All of the staff that we spoke to were polite, friendly and professional.
We both had a massage which was very relaxing. We also made use of the gym and pool areas. The afternoon tea was also lovely, we had a package which was a brilliant deal. The food and drinks that were ouside of our deal were very expensive however - a glass of orange juice was nearly £5! the only issue we had was we managed to get a little lost when exiting the hotel grounds - a sign to help with how to get back to the enterance would be helpful.
really would not hesitate in coming back.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent spa break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I was very pleased to read your comments, especially in relation to the team here at the hotel. Following your feedback I have ordered a sign which will be placed in the car park which will briefly explain which exit to take when leaving the hotel. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Stayed for a weekend of golf for the lads and a spar for the ladies. Excellent all round. Only down side is the breakfast, not on par with how good everything else. Played both courses, the 'emerald' excellent and the 'sapphire' tight course but good.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, June 13, 2013
Many thanks for you feedback following your recent golf break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am very pleased that you had a memorable stay; however I was disappointed to read your comments about our breakfast as this is an area of the business we spend a great deal of time on as we realise how important it is to our customers. I hope to see you back at the hotel soon. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitchurch
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Carden Park Hotel
Carden Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Broxton
4.0 of 5 bubbles 3,095 reviews

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!