A beautiful hilly ( hence the name) golf course surrounds the hotel and we'd booked a course view room with a patio for a nice relaxing BH weekend. On checking in we found the dinner reservations we'd made beforehand by phone ( as asked to do by themselves ) had been made for the wrong time for the first night and not made at all for the other two nights so we were unable to get the times we'd booked for the whole weekend.
The gentleman on reception who was very nice made us new reservations and gave us our room key and I happened to say on getting it "I hope it's on the nice side and not overlooking the driveway" nope....it was on the bad side overlooking the drive and car park with no patio or the "stunning view" that was in the description of the room we had booked and paid for. The young man apologised again and changed our room to the nice view we had booked.
The restaurant was nice with a small conservatory you could eat in with a lovely view of the course. The food was nice but pretty limiting for a vegetarian as it was only pasta, tortelini or ravioli but plenty of choices for non vegetarians. Over the weekend we tried to order champagne and wine with dinner and four times the waitress had to come back to our table to tell us they didn't have that bottle and apologise. The poor girl was cringing and in the end we had to ask well what do you have in stock ?
Breakfast was plentiful and served by lovely staff, cold buffet and cooked traditional, however on eating my vegetarian breakfast I cut into my scrambled eggs and came up with a slice of black pudding and it certainly wasn't vegetarian ! I don't eat meat because I was diagnosed with cancer so black pudding is just about the worst thing I could eat !!! I was quite shocked that they could make a mistake like that and could not eat my breakfast after that as there were bits of it on most of my eggs. I told the waitress but unfortunately nobody came to apologise until the next day at breakfast.
I ordered a paper to be delivered to my room each day, it didn't arrive so I rang reception and they said it was there, however when we went to collect it there was no paper. We worked out that when they had changed the room they hadn't changed the number for the paper so it must have gone to the original room. There were no spare papers so I could not have one but on returning from breakfast we discovered that one of the girls on reception had driven to a shop and bought me one. I thought that was such a nice thing to do and definitely going the extra mile.
All in all it wasn't a very succesful stay as everything we booked or ordered was wrong or not available but the big redeeming feature were the staff, they tried very hard to put each thing right and were always so pleasant and helpful. Would we return...the jury is still out on that one.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa in the heart of Shropshire, a golfer's paradise with two challenging courses to get your teeth into and a wonderful Spa with Rasul, rock sauna and eight treatment rooms for those who just want to lounge around and relax. Surrounded by peaceful grounds, it's amazing how accessible this hotel is in Whitchurch on the A49 and close to the major motorways; M53, M56, M6 and M54. Be inspired with plenty of local attractions on your doorstep including nearby Chester Zoo and the Ironbridge Museums and after a busy day, retire back to the hotel for a delicious meal produced using only the finest, quality ingredients. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com and Priceline so you can book your Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf And Country Club
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Country Club Hotel Whitchurch
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel Country
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa Whitchurch, Shropshire, UK