Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Combermere Abbey(Whitchurch)
Pitchup.com
104 Wrexham Rd(Whitchurch)
1,517 results
All reviewsrelaxation roommacdonald hill valleypro shoppatio doorsset menuafternoon teasauna and steam roomchanging roomslovely hotelblack puddingcooked breakfastbreakfast and dinnerrestaurant staffbirthday treatlovely settingrelaxing breakfollowing morning
Reviewed May 27, 2013

I unfortunately had to miss the first day of a golf and fun stay, but when I arrived to meet my friends I went straight to reception to be greeted by Harry. He was so helpful telling where everyone would be and also taking my luggage and sending it to my room. The dining room staff were also very helpful and I noticed that the aforementioned Harry even took a turn helping here as well. The rooms were spotless and very comfortable, only one potential problem you could not really open the curtains in the morning until you were dressed as a tee was right outside the window. I would suggest maybe net curtains that could be drawn or not would be a good idea.
One of my friends and I also had a wonderful massage, followed by in my case a manicure and in my friends by a facial. These were excellent.

The only problem seemed to be that the organiser of the trip had a bit of hassle with trying to get everything booked and confirmed and then was suddenly told that we all had to pay in full, even though we had all paid deposits, over 3 weeks before we went. This did not happen at the sister hotel that we stayed at last year. Apart from the weather everything else was very enjoyable.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

I would like to thank you for passing on your feedback following your recent golf break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. It is very pleasing indeed to read that overall you thoroughly enjoyed your stay with us. I will personally investigate the issues you encountered with your initial booking with my sales team.

I would also like to thank you for kind comments in relation to Harry, and I will of course pass on your feedback to him. I look forward to welcoming you back very soon. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed May 20, 2013

This was a mid-week break on D,B & B basis. The room was lovely and spacious and very comfortable. First night's sleep was destroyed at 6.00am by a spurious fire alarm. Very disappointed that there was no formal apology from the hotel. When asking about this, I was told they couldn't because they did not know exactly what caused the problem!! Not concerned what caused it but surely they should apologise first to the guests affected.
My wife had an excellent spa treatment at a very good price and the pool area is pleasant to relax in.
We were not expecting gourmet food but it certainly was not four star either. When they cannot produce good fresh chips then you start to worry and chunks of broccoli/cauliflower/carrots are lazy veg. The menu is full of promises and background but the food in general disappoints. The best course I had was the asparagus/duck egg/ crispy bacon. This was not shown on the menu or offered as a choice but luckily I saw it on a poster in the foyer! The restaurant is need of a facelift and better tables and the plastic roofed conservatory is an draughty eyesore. Breakfast was good and recommend the black pudding.
Various young middle managers were very friendly but overall there seemed to be bit of a staff shortfall as we had to seek out service quite often. A better lounge area for resident couples/singles rather than the soulless bar area/foyer is needed.
All in all a hit and miss experience - maybe golfers are more forgiving of the deficiencies.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the golf course are better as entry road is on the other side.
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We stayed here as a gift from our son and daughter in law to celebrate our wedding anniversary. All of the staff in the hotel, without exception, were extremely friendly and efficient. We were even asked if we wanted our room serviced, and if so what time. We were on a dinner, bed & breakfast package and found the food to be of excellent quality. The room was large and had the advantage of French doors which could be opened to take full advantage of the views over the golf course. Being a golf resort there were, of course, plenty of golfers in large and small groups but in no way did they affect the overall wonderful experience of this weekend.

Room Tip: If you have a room which isn't on the ground floor you can leave the French doors open to get fresh air which is unusual in a hotel
Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. Hill Valley is a perfect location to celebrate such things like wedding anniversary’s as you really get a sense of relaxing and getting away from it all. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with I sincerely hope you decide to return to Hill Valley again sometime in the future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Booked through secret escapes we had 2 lovely nights at an excellent rate. Though I frequently have to stay in hotels alone for work, it's not something I relish; I was by myself on the first night and felt comfortable and welcomed and enjoyed an excellent meal in the restaurant.

I was joined on the second night by my husband, we enjoyed excellent service in the bar - not sure that I would have gone in there by myself, the bar is large, bright and rather soulless, no little corners for a lone female to tuck herself into with her kindle - followed by another super meal in the restaurant. Breakfast was excellent and cooked to order.

The room we stayed in was a "classic double" it housed 2 comfortable chairs and one of the largest beds I've ever seen! The bathroom had both a bath and a separate shower cubicle.

I have booked another stay!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. It is always very pleasing to receive such feedback from our guests and even more pleasing that you have already booked another stay with us! I look forward to welcoming you and your husband back to the hotel again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed May 16, 2013

Stayed 1 night with a group on Dinner B&B plus 2 rounds of golf, could not fault the golf courses as they had been under snow a few weeks before our visit. Hotel was very clean thoughout, rooms where a good size, the staff from the moment we arrived till we left could not have done anymore (10 out of 10). Breakfast was excellent, freshly cooked and hot,the cold buffet had a good selection and everything was nice and fresh. Evening meal was ok but nothing special. The down side was being kept awake with people running along the corridors between 2 and 4am!!! but would still recommend it for a golf break.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Many thanks for passing on your much valued feedback following your recent golf break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable stay with us and I certainly hope you decide to return to Hill Valley again in the future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward