“Not bad, not great either”

Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitchurch
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Stayed here for one night 16th Feb. Paid for the Relax and Retreat package. Checked in approx 40 minutes early no problem. Credit Card was swiped for £50, slightly annoying, especially as my attention was drawn to the fact that it had to be a credit card, and that I'd be charged an additional £3 if I settled using a credit card. Seemed a bit of a scam that one. Was advised that my room would 'also be upgraded' which wasn't entirely true as I'd paid for the upgrade. Room was of decent size, the bed was huge, their was water in the room on arrival, and a vey welcome fridge. Room has no air conditioning which proved for a restless night as it was too warm, and couldn't open the patio doors as it was groundfloor so didn't fancy a fox cruising in at 4am and chewing my arm.
Spa treatments were ok, my girlfriend enjoyed her facial, I had a massage. After initially being told we didn't have lunch in our package, we were advised we did, but that we were too late for lunch. This was annoying as it was the hotel who had called us asking us to move our alloted spa treatment times to a later slot. The girl who manned the Spa reception advised us we could have it the next day, but this would mean hanging round well past check out.
Pool was nice, heating was broke and too hot so some bright spark opened the patio doors and let the winter air in. This made it rather refreshing!
Spent 75 minutes in the hotel room trying to connect to the joke internet service. Fail. Despite being both a vodafone and o2 customer I was unable to connect to either option and was left stressed by the experience.
Meal at the night was a bit of a mixed bag. Firstly, I had paid for a full board package so was not impressed that I was offered a more basic menu, making me feel a bit cheap. It wasn't explained how the evening meal worked, so whilst I found the instructions hidden behind the 'cheap' menu, easily enough, it did take me to have to use my brain. Full credit to the chef, the meal was beautiful, and the complaints are purely directed at the waiter and waitresses who got the order wrong twice, added extras on our bill that we never received and took 35 minuted to bring a drink to the table. Luckily their poor service was not a dampner on the evening as the signer the hotel hired was very entertaining.
Next morning, we went for breakfast to find it wasn't quite the eat what you like feast I imagined but rather a cut down buffet, with a set menu for cooked breakfast. The cooked breakfast whilst small was certainly tasty, and wasn't even ruined by the fire alarm break.
Off to the pool for a swim after breakfast to be greeted by hoards of children screaming and shouting, definitely not the relaxing spa break I imagined.
Off to reception to settle our bill, after having it corrected, paid the extras using my visa debit to avoid the £3 scam and off we went.

After writing all this I feel like regrading my review to 3 from 2 stars as I feel quite stressed after writing this! Definitely won't be making a repeat visit next year, sorry, it was nice I'll leave the 3, but marred with various smaller issues that made it far from perfect.

Room Tip: The large king size rooms all have a nice view of the golf course it's just that they open out o...
1  Thank bigstoo
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. It is most unfortunate that you did not enjoy your stay with us, and I apologise for the poor service levels you encountered in the restaurant during your evening meal.

You will find that almost all hotels are unable to pre-authorise a debit card and hence the reason why you were asked for a credit card. This is purely for pre-authorisation purposes only and most of our guests do exactly what you did and pre-authorise their credit card and settle their bill with their debit card. The vast majority of hotels are now charging for the use of a credit card which is mainly due to the rising costs we are absorbing in terms of food & energy prices which we do not pass on to our customers. You will find that the majority of four star hotels are now charging a service charge to cover these, which Macdonald Hotels do not practice.

I understand your frustrations with the speed of the internet, which is something we are addressing at the moment; however due to our rural location this is taking longer than expected. I would anticipate our internet connection to be vastly improved within the next couple of weeks.

I apologise if the dinner package was not explained to you but again like most hotels we have a set menu for all our guests on a dinner, bed and breakfast package; however they are more than welcome to choose items of the a la carte menu with a small supplement.

I do have to disagree with your comments in relation to our breakfast offering. Macdonald Hotels are very passionate about the breakfast product and we have moved away from the hot buffet service as we feel that the plated breakfast is more aligned with the service we are trying to provide. We do still offer a quite substantial cold buffet to complement what is a fantastic hot breakfast product.

I sincerely hope that these service issues you have encountered will not deter you from returning to Hill Valley again in the future.

Yours sincerely,

Terence P Southward

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa

Reviewed February 19, 2013

My husband and I have stayed at several McDonald hotels but never stayed at the Hill Valley Spa. We booked in for my husband's 'special' birthday. All the staff were very welcoming & obliging, and made our stay very enjoyable. We felt nothing was too much trouble from the time we booked in until when we said our goodbyes. The evening meals were excellent, our room was beautiful (we even managed to sit outside and read the papers/watch the golfers in the February sunshine). We will definitely be returning. And would like to say a big thank you to the Management for making our stay and especially my husband's birthday extra special... THANK YOU.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms have table and chairs outside to enjoy the 'sunshine'.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback in relation to your recent stay here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. It is very satisfying to read such feedback from our guests, especially your kind comments about how the team here looked after you. I will of course pass on your feedback to the team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I booked the Spa and hotel seperate online for a treat for my Fiance for Valentines. The Spa was excellent, we both said it was the best spa we had been to (and we have been to many both in this country and abroad!). The treatments i had (back massage and foot massage) were brilliant and my fiance (back massage and facial) were also fantastic, i can definately reccomend the foot massage. The hotel was great, very frieldy and helpful staff on reception. The room was clean and tidy and quite large with a seperate seating area with 2 old fashioned high back chairs, which were great for a short nap after the spa! The bathroom was spacious with both a bath and seperate shower. We booked dinner, bed & breakfast, the evening meal was fantastic with an excellent parship soup and shoulder of lamb which i would reccomend. We also had our breakfast delivered to the room as this hotel does not charge (£3.00) for this service, although we only had 1 set of cutlery and was missing the toast, this wasnt a problem as we contacted reception and they brought this up very quickly so we coulod enjoy the breakfast and the toast at the same time. All in all an excellent break and will definately be returning especially for the spa treatments!

Room Tip: When first checking into the room check the pillows, depending on what you like we only had feather...
1  Thank Chris18Walsall

I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback in relation to your recent spa break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. We do have a fantastic spa facility here at the hotel following our recent £400,000 refurbishment and I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay. We do hope to invest quite heavily in the property this summer so I would urge you to come back for another spa break later in the year where I am sure you will have another wonderful relaxing stay. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Just returned from a 2 night dinner b&b break. First impression looked like an old peoples care home. Nice friendly welcome from reception staff. Room confirmed our thoughts on old peoples home, very drab with a ripped chair & cobwebs, but saying that the bathroom was clean & modern with a lovely shower & large towels. Dinner on both nights was good with staff being friendly but not super efficient. Breakfast was ok. Spa was lovely & very nice treatments. Swimming pool was nice & clean, but would have liked a jaquzzi.
On the first night we were kept awake by lots of doors banging & a very loud party that went on until 2am!! Eventually the night staff did resolve it. However- at 8.20am we were woken by a very high pitched fire alarm to which we all turned out into the corridoor where another guest said it was a false alarm!. No apology or explanation was given by any staff.

Room Tip: Wouldn't stay here again as too noisy.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 9, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. Firstly I would have to disagree with your rather unfair comments about the hotel resembling a care home. I haven’t seen many old peoples homes set in 300 acres of parkland; however you are very much entitled to your opinion. I will most certainly investigate your comments about the chair being ripped in your bedroom as both my executive housekeeper and I regularly check all our bedrooms and had we found a damaged chair we would have replaced it. I would also like to apologise if a member of the team did not explain or apologise to you why the alarm was sounded. There was a fault on one the bedroom sensors which we have now replaced. Once again many thanks for your feedback and I would hope to welcome you back to the hotel again sometime in the future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed February 17, 2013 via mobile

We spent two nights here this weekend and were not disappointed. The emerald golf course was great and the spa facilities were excellent! The beauty treatments were perfect and the healthy spa lunch was a great addition! Hotel rooms were modern, clean and spacious. The breakfast was great with lots of choice and dinner was good value and tasted lovely. We had a great weekend and would definitely visit again!

• Stayed: February 2013
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

What a wonderful review! Thank you for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback. I am delighted you had an enjoyable experience here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa and I very much look forward to welcoming you back later in the year where the Emerald is at its best! Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed February 15, 2013

Visited this establishment for an evening with the wife. l we were not residents but were greeted warmley by the staff and shown to our table. There was a good choice of either A la Carte menu or the Market menu - food was of a good standard although wines and beers a little on the higher side, but i suppose this is standard for such establishments. Nice relaxed atmosphere and very attentive staff. whilst there is a conservatory (it was a cold winters night) there is still a slight feeling of being in the basement. Overall a good experience and the wife was happy!

Reviewed February 11, 2013

Always stay here when we visit whitchurch, if you buy on a deal BB is reasonable
Rooms a comfy, light and airy, but a bit on the small side
Hotel & spa staff are very friendly & helpful
Once agian we thought that the bar prices are extortionate, so tend to use the local pubs in the area, which are very varied, but mostly good. We ate at the old mill by the park which has changed hands & I can recomend, & drank in the old vaults which is now a juoles pub

Room Tip: ask for one overlooking the golf course
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. It is always very rewarding when regular guests not only return to the hotel, but then find the time to post such a positive review. I have carried out extensive research into our bar pricing and the results did highlight that Hill Valley is very much in line with competitor four star golf resorts in the area. On your next visit I would very much appreciate meeting you and thanking you in person for your loyalty to the hotel. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitchurch
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Hawkstone Park Hotel
Hawkstone Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Weston-under-Redcastle

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!