Stayed here for one night 16th Feb. Paid for the Relax and Retreat package. Checked in approx 40 minutes early no problem. Credit Card was swiped for £50, slightly annoying, especially as my attention was drawn to the fact that it had to be a credit card, and that I'd be charged an additional £3 if I settled using a credit card. Seemed a bit of a scam that one. Was advised that my room would 'also be upgraded' which wasn't entirely true as I'd paid for the upgrade. Room was of decent size, the bed was huge, their was water in the room on arrival, and a vey welcome fridge. Room has no air conditioning which proved for a restless night as it was too warm, and couldn't open the patio doors as it was groundfloor so didn't fancy a fox cruising in at 4am and chewing my arm.
Spa treatments were ok, my girlfriend enjoyed her facial, I had a massage. After initially being told we didn't have lunch in our package, we were advised we did, but that we were too late for lunch. This was annoying as it was the hotel who had called us asking us to move our alloted spa treatment times to a later slot. The girl who manned the Spa reception advised us we could have it the next day, but this would mean hanging round well past check out.
Pool was nice, heating was broke and too hot so some bright spark opened the patio doors and let the winter air in. This made it rather refreshing!
Spent 75 minutes in the hotel room trying to connect to the joke internet service. Fail. Despite being both a vodafone and o2 customer I was unable to connect to either option and was left stressed by the experience.
Meal at the night was a bit of a mixed bag. Firstly, I had paid for a full board package so was not impressed that I was offered a more basic menu, making me feel a bit cheap. It wasn't explained how the evening meal worked, so whilst I found the instructions hidden behind the 'cheap' menu, easily enough, it did take me to have to use my brain. Full credit to the chef, the meal was beautiful, and the complaints are purely directed at the waiter and waitresses who got the order wrong twice, added extras on our bill that we never received and took 35 minuted to bring a drink to the table. Luckily their poor service was not a dampner on the evening as the signer the hotel hired was very entertaining.
Next morning, we went for breakfast to find it wasn't quite the eat what you like feast I imagined but rather a cut down buffet, with a set menu for cooked breakfast. The cooked breakfast whilst small was certainly tasty, and wasn't even ruined by the fire alarm break.
Off to the pool for a swim after breakfast to be greeted by hoards of children screaming and shouting, definitely not the relaxing spa break I imagined.
Off to reception to settle our bill, after having it corrected, paid the extras using my visa debit to avoid the £3 scam and off we went.
After writing all this I feel like regrading my review to 3 from 2 stars as I feel quite stressed after writing this! Definitely won't be making a repeat visit next year, sorry, it was nice I'll leave the 3, but marred with various smaller issues that made it far from perfect.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa in the heart of Shropshire, a golfer's paradise with two challenging courses to get your teeth into and a wonderful Spa with Rasul, rock sauna and eight treatment rooms for those who just want to lounge around and relax. Surrounded by peaceful grounds, it's amazing how accessible this hotel is in Whitchurch on the A49 and close to the major motorways; M53, M56, M6 and M54. Be inspired with plenty of local attractions on your doorstep including nearby Chester Zoo and the Ironbridge Museums and after a busy day, retire back to the hotel for a delicious meal produced using only the finest, quality ingredients. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Orbitz, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, getaroom.com and Evoline ltd so you can book your Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Country Club Hotel Whitchurch
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf And Country Club
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel Country
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa Whitchurch, Shropshire, UK