“nice stay”

Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitchurch
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Always stay here when we visit whitchurch, if you buy on a deal BB is reasonable
Rooms a comfy, light and airy, but a bit on the small side
Hotel & spa staff are very friendly & helpful
Once agian we thought that the bar prices are extortionate, so tend to use the local pubs in the area, which are very varied, but mostly good. We ate at the old mill by the park which has changed hands & I can recomend, & drank in the old vaults which is now a juoles pub

Room Tip: ask for one overlooking the golf course
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2013

I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. It is always very rewarding when regular guests not only return to the hotel, but then find the time to post such a positive review. I have carried out extensive research into our bar pricing and the results did highlight that Hill Valley is very much in line with competitor four star golf resorts in the area. On your next visit I would very much appreciate meeting you and thanking you in person for your loyalty to the hotel. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa

Reviewed February 1, 2013

Had 2 night spa break with daughter. Spa facilities excellent and staff friendly and treatments were very good and reasonably priced. Great to have gowns and slippers in room and 2 large bottles of complimentary water, one still one sparking. Are Macdonalds cutting back on biscuits, both hotels at recent stay only out one packet in a twin room?
Lovely room facing over picturesque golf course. Only slight problem was a window that didn't close properly so in the gales we had a whistling accompaniment.
Not as 'posh' food as its near neighbour the macdonalds portal hotel Tarporley for evening meals but better selection for breakfast.
Bar meal was also good and staff throughout were very friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for one overlooking the golf course
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I am delighted you had an enjoyable stay with us and following your feedback the large double French doors have now been repaired. I certainly hope you decide to re-visit Hill Valley later in the year. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed January 28, 2013

Spent a lovely relaxing snowy Friday and Saturday here with a friend - we relaxed, chatted, and generally indulged ourselves - hotel is really lovely, staff very friendly and helpful - we had evening meal and breakfast included in our package and couldn't fault any part of it, except for the bar prices - oh my goodness - even for this standard of hotel they are expensive - one bacardi and coke, one gin and tonic, very little change from £15!! Ouch - needless to say we didnt have a boozy stay - shame because we then retired to bed a bit earlier than we would have liked. Had a couple of treatments in the spa, again, lovely set up, pool and facilities are wonderful, staff very very good.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

I would like to take the opportunity of thanking you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I was very pleased that you and your friend had an enjoyable stay with us and the one thing Hill Valley can guarantee due to its beautiful rural location is a very relaxing break. I was disappointed to read your comments in relation the bar prices; however I have personally carried out a great deal of research into our pricing and we are very much in line with our competitor golf resorts. I sincerely hope you decide to return to Hill Valley later in the year as due to the success of the last 18 months we are investing heavily in the property with brand new contemporary lounge furniture, new luxury bed experience and an exciting new sports bar to be opened in March. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed January 28, 2013

I visited this hotel last Oct for a 2 night Spa break. I loved it that much ive booked again for Feb this year.
Its clean,comfortable and the staff are lovely. The Spa area is spot on and i left there feeling totally relaxed.
I would recommend this hotel .

Room Tip: We had a twin room which was more like a suite. Ample room for 2
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Thank you for passing on your feedback following your spa break with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa late last year. It is very satisfying when our guests enjoy their experience that much that they book to return, as returning customers are so important to our business. Following your visit in February I would certainly urge you to try and visit the hotel in the summer when the whole resort is alive with colour and the views are spectacular. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed here for one night on a spa package for my birthday and it was lovely. Staff were very friendly, room was large, comfortable and had everything we needed. We both had two treatments in the spa as part of our package and they were amazing. I had a swim in the incredible pool and we both used the gym which was very well equipped. All meals were excellent with lots of choice and very high quality. Would definitely return!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple

Firstly may I wish you a belated happy birthday and I am delighted you decided to celebrate it here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback following your recent spa break. I was extremely pleased that you enjoyed your experience with us and I sincerely hope you return to Hill Valley again in the summer when the hotel and grounds look fabulous! Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed January 26, 2013

Sometimes I hesitate over hotels that are golf centres and a hotel but this hotel was a cut above the norm'.

Pleasant staff, good food and clean.

Very little I could grumble about at all.

Worth a detour.

The bedroom was very spacious with a large shower as well as a bath. A comfortable couple of chairs for sitting in and a flat screen tv.

Bed was not the most comfortable but I think they will be replacing it soon as there was clearly some work going on at other bedrooms but they did not disturb me.

Dinner was very good. Well presented and tasty. Staff were courteous at all times and helpful.

Room Tip: Don't think it matters, unless you particularly want to look out on to the golf course which hal...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business

Many thanks for your wonderful feedback following your recent stay here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. It is very rewarding when our guests have such a wonderful experience. I am pleased to tell you that you are indeed correct as the hotel is investing in our bedroom stock this year with new beds and duvets throughout. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed January 20, 2013

My mum and I have just returned from a 'one night indulgence' package overnight stay and we were simply blown away! From the get-go it was fantastic. we were warmly and politely greeted at reception and were told that our room was available to us straight away! This was before 10.30am! This was a lovely touch and we found our huge room was very well stocked, clean and most definitely 4*!

We went down for our treatments and the spa is just amazing! We were shown around all the facilities and given a locker with our robes and slippers in. We were shown to the relaxation room through a candlelit large corridor. It was the height of luxury and we very much enjoyed it. Our therapists were attentive and well trained and our treatments were lovely.

The pool area is very nice, we did have to wait for loungers as people put their towels on them but don't use them! They should just put their towels on the hooks grr! ;) The sauna, steam room and posh shower were fab and we certainly made use of them. The pool is clean and big enough for a good swim.

There was complimentary teas, coffees, water, in the spa lounge which has a lovely view. A lady staff member was on hand to see if we were ok and needed anything. She was very nice and extremely welcoming.

We had dinner in the restaurant and the service from the young members of staff was 2nd to none. Every person who served us (bread, drinks, orders etc) was so polite, very well presented and very knowledgeable in every item on the menu and every drink on offer. The height of 4* dining! The food was beautiful, quick, piping hot and good value for money.

We had minimal noise throughout the night and a good nights sleep. Breakfast was amazing! The largest selection of breakfast foods I have ever seen! There was so much to choose from. Our own cafetiere's, pots of tea, unlimited toast and anything we wanted from the hot breakfast menu.

I was that stuffed from dinner the night before I couldn't eat much but what I did eat was amazing. The best smoked salmon Ive ever had! The big plus point for us is that, every staff member we came across, greeted us and was most polite and respectful. We both felt truly 'special' and we felt it was well worth the money we paid.

Yes the drinks and food are a little expensive but we wanted to treat ourselves and we felt it was worth every penny. It is 4* luxury! We cannot wait to go again and I cannot recommend it highly enough!

You will not be dissapointed! :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

What a fabulous review! I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback and I am delighted that you and your mother had such a wonderful experience here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I very much hope you return later in the year and maybe this time take advantage of our Arabian mud rasul experience. Due to the success of the hotel over the last 18 months we are investing heavily in the property this year with a luxury new bed experience and modern contemporary furniture throughout. Once again many thanks for your feedback and I hope to see you again soon. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitchurch
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Hawkstone Park Hotel
Hawkstone Park Hotel
#1 of 1 in Weston-under-Redcastle

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!