Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Abbey Green Farm bed & Breakfast(Whitchurch)(Great Value!)
$100
Combermere Abbey(Whitchurch)
TripAdvisor
104 Wrexham Rd(Whitchurch)
1,518 results
All reviewsrelaxation roommacdonald hill valleypro shoppatio doorsset menuafternoon teasauna and steam roomchanging roomslovely hotelblack puddingcooked breakfastbreakfast and dinnerrestaurant staffbirthday treatlovely settingrelaxing breakfollowing morning
Reviewed January 20, 2013

My mum and I have just returned from a 'one night indulgence' package overnight stay and we were simply blown away! From the get-go it was fantastic. we were warmly and politely greeted at reception and were told that our room was available to us straight away! This was before 10.30am! This was a lovely touch and we found our huge room was very well stocked, clean and most definitely 4*!

We went down for our treatments and the spa is just amazing! We were shown around all the facilities and given a locker with our robes and slippers in. We were shown to the relaxation room through a candlelit large corridor. It was the height of luxury and we very much enjoyed it. Our therapists were attentive and well trained and our treatments were lovely.

The pool area is very nice, we did have to wait for loungers as people put their towels on them but don't use them! They should just put their towels on the hooks grr! ;) The sauna, steam room and posh shower were fab and we certainly made use of them. The pool is clean and big enough for a good swim.

There was complimentary teas, coffees, water, in the spa lounge which has a lovely view. A lady staff member was on hand to see if we were ok and needed anything. She was very nice and extremely welcoming.

We had dinner in the restaurant and the service from the young members of staff was 2nd to none. Every person who served us (bread, drinks, orders etc) was so polite, very well presented and very knowledgeable in every item on the menu and every drink on offer. The height of 4* dining! The food was beautiful, quick, piping hot and good value for money.

We had minimal noise throughout the night and a good nights sleep. Breakfast was amazing! The largest selection of breakfast foods I have ever seen! There was so much to choose from. Our own cafetiere's, pots of tea, unlimited toast and anything we wanted from the hot breakfast menu.

I was that stuffed from dinner the night before I couldn't eat much but what I did eat was amazing. The best smoked salmon Ive ever had! The big plus point for us is that, every staff member we came across, greeted us and was most polite and respectful. We both felt truly 'special' and we felt it was well worth the money we paid.

Yes the drinks and food are a little expensive but we wanted to treat ourselves and we felt it was worth every penny. It is 4* luxury! We cannot wait to go again and I cannot recommend it highly enough!

You will not be dissapointed! :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

What a fabulous review! I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback and I am delighted that you and your mother had such a wonderful experience here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I very much hope you return later in the year and maybe this time take advantage of our Arabian mud rasul experience. Due to the success of the hotel over the last 18 months we are investing heavily in the property this year with a luxury new bed experience and modern contemporary furniture throughout. Once again many thanks for your feedback and I hope to see you again soon. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed January 11, 2013

Stayed at this hotel for a christmas party night, we were joined by 2 other couples. The party meal consisted of 3 courses in which the main course was a carvery, we were serve with the starter at the table where as we had to leave the table for the main and sweet. The staff were proficient in direction and clearing tables, my one cripe was that whenthe dinners were eating, a small group of staff stood talking and I had to get up and walk over to them to get their attention for them to refill the water jug which there was one of for a table of 8. The hotel was clean, spaceous rooms. There was a buffet breakfast, with cooked english breakfast serve to you at the table, cant fault it or the staff. We found that the prices at the bar were high, for when we arrive our party were going to have lunch but even tea was the same price as a spirit from the bar, so we left and had lunch elsewhere. All 3 couples said how uncomfortable the beds were and very creeky, to the degree that everytime you moved it woke each other. The spa was relaxing with the pool, sauna and steamroom, 4 of us experienced a wonderful 1/2 hour massage. We would probably return.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent spa break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. I was pleased that on the whole you enjoyed your stay with us; however I was disappointed to read your comments about the banqueting team. I have spoken with my food services manger about this and instructed him to address this at future events. I have also spoken to my housekeeping manager about the quality of the beds and I am pleased to tell you that we are intending to replace a large majority of our bed stock within the next couple of months. I sincerely hope you decide to return to Hill Valley again later in the year as we are investing quite heavily in the property with brand new lounge furniture, an exciting new sports bar and new luxury bedding for all of our bedrooms. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed January 6, 2013

This is a modern hotel, with staff who do their best. The restaurant is bright, not very atmospheric, almost stark in appearance and the food is good quality, though not on a par with other Macdonald Hotels. The rooms are large and very clean, with complimentary mineral water and as we booked an executive room, we had a bottle of wine waiting for us. The executive rooms are on the ground floor with a small terrace area outside right on the golf course. However there is no partition between each terrace, and so there is no privacy between each room. That is fine in the winter, but may be not in the summer when you might be able to sit outside. The TV in the room has Sky Sports, but this is linked in to the TV in the "Sports Bar", so you cannot really watch what you want. The Sports Bar is just an area off the bar with a TV and people just have the TV on without necessarily watching what was on and so if you wanted to watch the Sports in your room, this could not really be achieved. The swimming pool and sauna areas are fine, although there are not enough loungers to satisfy staying guests and pamper day guests. We had a problem with our key card as it did not work on the second day, which took the reception staff some time to rectify.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa. It was slightly disappointing to read your comments in relation to your visit; however I genuinely feel you have some valid points to make. I have been in discussions for the last 12 months with the Macdonald board in relation to investment in 2013. I am delighted to tell you that within the next 2-3 months we are launching a new sports bar which will be fitted with large screens for sport & a snooker table; all the furniture in the lounge and reception is to be replaced with much more modern furniture keeping in tune with the rest of the hotel and we are considering erecting partitions on our ground floor executive block. I would urge you to re-visit Hill Valley later in the year where I am convinced you will change your opinion. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed December 22, 2012

Just returned today from an overnight stay - my partner booked a special deal to celebrate my 50th birthday which included a full body massage for the both of us (was supposed to be in a dual room but ended up being in two separate rooms), a cream tea of sandwiches and scones, use of the spa and pool area, a three course meal, an overnight stay in an executive bedroom with a complementary bottle of wine and then a fully cooked breakfast the following morning. Our room was spacious and exceptionally clean and the bed was incredibly comfortable. The food throughout was delicious and plentiful. The hotel was lovely and quiet which suited us down to the ground. What stands out most for us, however, was the professionalism and friendliness of all the staff we encountered but we must put a special shout out for Esther, Bernard and Nigel - a real credit to the staff team. All in all a really lovely 24 hour stay and would definitely venture back.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

I would like to take the opportunity of thanking you for taking time out to feedback to us following your spa break late last year. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us and I do hope you will visit again in the summer when the hotel and grounds are at their best. We do have such a wonderful hotel with magnificent facilities; however it is the team of people that work here that make the difference and I was very pleased to read your comments in relation to the members of staff you came across during your visit. I will be sure to pass on your comments to the people concerned. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed November 19, 2012

Freinds and i, had a golf break in the summer and had a great time. Its a modern hotel, but unlike some places i've been, retains a real freindly atmosphere. All the staff were very accomodating. The place is located in a lovely setting. Lots of good things about it, although bar prices are what you come to expect. Expensive. Food was very good, included in the price. The snooker room needs sorting out, you keep banging your cue against the wall. Rooms tidy, but had some telly problems. Would recommend it to anyone,oh and the golf course was in my top ten.
gray and lads

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank graeme R

Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your stay here at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa at the back end of last year. It was very pleasing to see that you and your friends enjoyed your experience. You will be pleased to hear that the snooker table has now been relocated in our new sports bar which will be opened at the end of March. I look forward to welcoming you back maybe later in the year as the Emerald Course is spectacular in the summer. Kind regards, Terence P Southward