“OK but only just”

Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Whitchurch
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Stopped here as a second night when attending car fest north at Cholmondeley castle, our 1st night had been at the Cholmondeley Arms approx.5 milles away, the Hill Valley could learn alot from their neighbour.
Bad start when informed at reception twin room was only available, strange email conformation was Superior King receptionist a little bemused and blamed internet booking ! No sorry not these days doesn't wash with me.
Secondly sur charge for using a credit card ... 1st time i've had a hotel charge for use of credit card.
Overnight disturbed till approx. 04:00 due to some golfers stagg party staying
Evening meal & breakfast OK nothing special ....
At nearly twice the price for Bed & Breakfast i expected more ....shame i couldn't get a 2nd night at Cholmondeley Arms

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 10, 2012

I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. I am sincerely disappointed that you did not enjoy your experience with us.

I have since checked your reservation and the confirmation we did receive was for a twin bedded room and I do hope this error did not inconvenience your stay with us.

We do cater for large golfing groups and the management team do everything they can to control the noise levels throughout the night. I would suggest that you bring any disturbance to the attention of our night team who would have addressed the situation straight away.

The credit card charge is not uncommon in hotels and Macdonald Hotels introduced this policy last year to help alleviate the rising costs form our third party agents which we do not pass on to our customers.

Once again many thanks for passing on your feedback. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Write a ReviewReviews (1,472)

Reviewed September 7, 2012

My daughter and I have just spent 2 days at Hill Valley on a special package deal. Had an excellent time - Greeted by a friendly face and very helpful receptionist.

Food was excellent for dinner and breakfast. Large selection to choose from at the breakfast buffet while the English breakfast was cooked from fresh.

We felt we were well looked after and the staff in the spa couldn't have been more friendly and professional. Did have a problem with my facial treatment...think the girl was being lazy but this was rectified straight away when I mentioned it the next morning with a free facial by a different girl.

Room was stunning - was lucky to have ground floor with small patio area. Rooms are large, clean and modern. Bathrooms again large with seperate shower cubile (best shower ever had in a hotel) and clean.

Overall had a brilliant stay and wished we could have stayed longer. If your unsure whether to have one or two night stay - well worth paying the extra for 2 nights!!!!!

Room Tip: Maybe just mention when booking if possible to get ground floor room.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback in relation to your recent stay here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. It was concerning to read your comments in relation to your facial; however I was very pleased that this was dealt with so efficiently whilst you were still here.

We are blessed with the bedroom product we have to offer here at Hill Valley and the patio areas are our most popular rooms.

It is extremely pleasing to see that you and your daughter had a wonderful experience and I hope to welcome you both back to the hotel again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed September 1, 2012

Just got back from a spa weekend and despite the many negative reviews had a lovely time. Hotel clean and modern great pool and gym and excellent back massage. Food was very nice could not eat all of my breakfast was stuffed. The hotel is set in beautiful grounds used for golf. I was on the verge of cancelling this as after reading some of the reviews on here thought " what have I done " just goes to show you can never please everyone. I would recommend here for golf and spa. Will return.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family

My sincere thank for taking the time to pass on your comments following your recent experience here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. I am pleased that you decided to make your own judgement of the hotel and I am genuinely delighted that you had a fantastic weekend. We do have a wonderful hotel here; however we accept that we will not get things right all the time. We do very much take all feedback very seriously and we will always strive to exceed our guests expectations. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed September 1, 2012

We went on a golf society trip. A very good venue - good course, very interesting. Some of the holes have blind tee shots and could be dangerous if people don't wait for the bell! The hotel is a very good standard, and the rooms are spacious and very well appointed.
Drinks and snacks are a bit pricey, but what do you expect!
Overall a very good venue for a golfing break.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with friends

I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent stay with us here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. I am delighted that you enjoyed your golfing break and I certainly hope you decide to return to Hill Valley again in the future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed August 28, 2012

We travelled from Dorset to this lovely hotel and it was well worth the distance! We arrived 2 hours before check-in but we were still able to check-in to our room early and enjoy the wonderful surroundings. We went there for a relaxing birthday weekend away and it didn't disappoint! All staff were friendly and helpful, the resort is so peaceful and away from any noise or traffic. The spa has just been renovated and it is beautiful! So modern. One of the spa staff, Laura was fantastic and really helpful - made the whole experience so much better! We had a problem with our TV and the signal being weak (was the time of the Olympics so higly watched!) but were moved rooms instantly which was great. Lovely views over the golf course, nice clean tidy room with a lovely comfy bed & living area. Very peaceful. Had dinner & breakfast which was both very scrumptious! Nice choice with bread carved & served there & then for you! My partner's steak was so tender, no steak knife required! Not much to do in the surrounding areas (Whitchurch is a very small town) but we weren't interested in "siight-seeing". Definitely recommend to family & friends, well worth the trip. Thank you to everyone! :)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ljwitt

Firstly a belated happy birthday! Many thanks for such a wonderful review. I am delighted that you had an enjoyable break here at Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf and I will of course pass on your comments to the team. We do have a fantastic hotel here; however as you rightly pointed out it is our team that make our guests stay that much more enjoyable. I very much look forward to welcoming you back to Hill Valley again in the future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed August 28, 2012

I stayed here as part of a boys golf weekend the hotel was nice, as you would expect from a macdonalds hotel. Room was spacious and clean and ideal for golfers as there was plently of space to park our trollies. The food was nice and tasty and as we were part of a larger party we were in a private suite. The two golf courses were of a good standard, well set out but as we where there in October you could see the wear and tear of a busy summer.
If you are looking for a good weekends golf then i would definately recommend it, but as a family or couple then possibly avoid.

Room Tip: the lifts are small so if you have lots of luggage or golf bag/trolley then get a ground floor room
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for taking the time to pass on your feedback following your recent golfing break here at Hill Valley. I am very pleased that you enjoyed the golf here. We do have two very different courses and this summer has been particularly challenging in terms of the weather! Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Reviewed August 27, 2012

In a nutshell the cleanliness of the rooms and gym were good and the receptionist was friendly. The spa staff were very friendly but unfortunately the treatments were not up to scratch. The facial and 'head massage' turned out to be more stressful than relaxing having my face 'rubbed' quite firmly and a tickle for a head massage was not what I would expect from an impressive looking spa. On the plus side my partner appreciated his facial and back massage, Same experience as other customers in terms of bar menu prices extortionate so we headed to Tesco just down the road for a satisfying wrap at a fraction of the price! Yum. Dinner....hummmm this was fun! We had been left on a table behind a plant pot and felt that we had been camouflaged by the shrubbery so in a desperate attempt to feed in the under-lit bellows of the establishment we asked for our order to be taken. Soup was a hit followed by a mass delay on brown bread to be 'warmed' to which yet again required several prompts from the shrubbery. Moving onto the main which tasted of washing up liquid weirdly tortellini dishwater I think it was called?? Not pleasant...luckily we ordered some chips as a side order else I may have decomposed at this point within the shrubbery! and for dessert a slab of choc brownie...lush! That was nice :) Breakfast was nice but staff all seemed to be spending all their efforts to look depressed and just plonk food down in front of you and no apologies for mistakes made! I think they could do with a bit of team building…perhaps a round of golf?? I asked for brown bread and tea....I got coffee and mixed toast...but the happy staff rectified this with a smile on their faces :) (excuse the sarchasm) Was very relieved to leave here so I could come back to happy faces at home and cook food that tasted like food! Did we get asked if we had enjoyed our stay or meal? I’m afraid not and I think the MacDonald chain may benefit from undercover boss popping in to improve their resturant customer service!

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Emmyc28
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to pass on your much valued feedback in relation to your recent visit here to Macdonald Hill Valley Spa, Hotel & Golf. The feedback we have received about our therapists over the last 12 months has been excellent so to read your comments was not only disappointing but very surprising. I have spoken with my Spa Manager and instructed her to monitor this particular therapist over the coming weeks to see if there is a trend.

I would like to pass on my apologies for your unsatisfactory dining experiences whilst staying at the hotel. I have held a meeting with my food & beverage team following this feedback and have emphasised how important it is for our restaurant team to ensure our guests are communicated to at all times.

I note your comments in relation to the quality of the food, which was again surprising as this is an aspect of the business Macdonald Hotels are very passionate about and a great deal of time and effort goes into sourcing only the best quality ingredients. This aside I am also aware that we will not get it right all the time and I have asked my executive chef to ensure all items leaving the kitchen are checked by a senior chef.

The most concerning aspect of your review was the distinct lack of customer care shown from my team. We are an extremely busy hotel and I am aware we will make mistakes from time to time; however it is how these mistakes are dealt with by the team which sets us apart from our competitor hotels. I would like to assure you that I will take this matter up personally over the forthcoming weeks to ensure that the customer service skills are improved.

We do have a wonderful hotel here and I would urge you to re-visit as I am confident you will have a different experience. Should you wish to return to Hill Valley please do not hesitate to contact me directly and I would be happy to make all the necessary arrangements for you. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitchurch
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Park Inn by Radisson Telford
Lion Quays
Lion Quays
#1 of 1 in Weston Rhyn

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!