“Under Par Service”

GreenLeadersGold level
Sandbach, United Kingdom
“Under Par Service”
Reviewed November 10, 2011

I stayed at the hotel with my partner to attend a function and also to play golf. It was fairly obvious during our stay that the clientele was mostly single males, there on a cheap 2 night golfing break and whilst they were generally well behaved, the ambiance in the cocktail bar was more reminiscent of a tap room rather than an up market hotel bar.Clearly the golfing revenue is important to this hotel and it appears to take priority over other guests.

We attempted to check in early as I had booked a spa treatment for my partner whilst I played golf and were told that the room would be ready in an hour or less, sadly that wasnt the case and she was continually checking back with the desk until the room became available some 2 hours later. I understand that an early check in is not obligatory on the hotel but when you are told one hour and it turns to 2 hours and nobody keeps you informed, it is a little frustrating.

The design of the hotel is in itself a little hotch potch, with all the restaurant and bars located on a lower floor away from the main reception and entrance, this is further exacerbated by the somewhat dysfunctional aspect of the spa and pool area where guests who intend to use both the spa and pool have to actually walk outside in their towelling robes. Fine in the Summer, but rather different in Winter.

The meal in the evening was adequate and edible but the service from the bar was dreadful, with a complete absence of staff on several occasions. We had experienced some difficulty in the afternoon with the young staff being generally inattentive and quite curt and the service didn't get any better in the morning for breakfast.

The service at breakfast was dreadful, it took an age for someone to take our order, then there was an inordinate wait for it to arrive and when it did arrive I thought they had given us childrens portions it was so meagre.Plates for the buffet appeared in short supply and English as a second language seemed to be the order of the day with many of the staff, whom we had some difficulty in communicating with before a translator arrived.

Upon checking out I expected to only pay for extras as the room had been prepaid but the receptionist insisted that wasn't the case, so assuming there had been an administrative error on our part, I paid by debit card. When I arrived at work on Monday I discovered we had indeed pre paid and after a number of phone calls the hotel called me to ask for my card details which I gave and they advised that the money would be back in my account by the end of the week. At this stage I asked what they intended to do to compensate me for my inconvinience and suggested a free round of golf, the response was for the company representative to laugh! When I explained I wasn't joking she said it wasn't their policy to compensate. I did ask for the name of the Manager which I was given, but quite frankly I was so fed up with them by this stage I didn't want to prolong my pain any longer.

I have stayed at golfing venue hotels many times before and I have also stayed at Macdonald Hotels before but my experience has never been as poor as this. Our stay started with a negative and finished with a negative with some elements of mediocrity sandwiched in between. The function we attended is an annual one and was at this venue for the first time, I'll be surprised if it's rebooked for next year but if it is, I wont be attending!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, December 10, 2011
I would like to take the opportunity of thanking you for passing on your feedback in relation to your recent experience here at Macdonald Hill Valley. It is extremely disappointing to read your comments as customer service is something I am extremely passionate about and it appears we have failed to meet your expectations in many areas of the business. I am relatively new to the property and there are certainly areas of the business that need attention. I can assure you I am committed to raising the levels of service here at Hill Valley as we have a wonderful property and two magnificent golf courses. I do however disagree with your comments in relation to our overseas staff, as they are all able to speak perfect English and it is a little surprising that you have encountered problems communicating with the team. I would be more than happy to speak to you directly about your experience and in more detail about what activities are taking place in the hotel currently which I am confident, will offer a consistent service standard across the hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly on 0844 879 9049. I look forward to speaking to in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
S.Wales UK
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Stayed here as a group of 20 golfers for 4 day break on 22nd Sept, staff were great from reception to cleaners to bar and restaurant staff. Breakfast excellent also our evening meal,
few moans about the price of beer and bar meals, but there we go. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, November 11, 2011
Many thanks for your feedback in relation to your recent experience here at Macdonald Hill Valley. It was very pleasing that you enjoyed your stay with us and we very much look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel again in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 31, 2011

I stayed here, whilst attending a function at the hotel, with my partner. While he played golf in the daytime I decided to make use of the pool and Spa facilities. Thankfully it was a sunny autumnal day as I had to walk outside and down two steep slopes to reach the Spa facilities, wouldn't have been happy if the weather had been bad. As we arrived mid morning for the men to play golf we were promised our room would be ready for 12 noon so I spent a while in the astronomically priced bar area until noon. Sadly the room was not ready when I went to reception at 12.30 and so had to wait longer. The room was ok and the pool and Spa facilites were lovely as was the girl that gave me my Pedicure.
The function was very well organised and the food was hot and pleasant however the breakfast the next morning was a shambles. I had to ask for a plate for the buffet but the waiter did not seem to understand me! As I am English in an English hotel and speaking English one would assume that i would be understood. We had to wait a while to place our order for tea and cooked brakfast and then there was a long wait for said tea and breakfast to arrive which was rather sparse. We asked for another pot of tea as the pot we were given only allowed one cup each, sadly the waiter forgot. Clearly this was not a good start to the day and we felt compelled to complain to the restaurant manager who was very apologetic and had a word with the waiter.
Considering that this hotel is classed as a four star hotel I was very disappointed and would not stay there again, I have stayed in better Premier Inns! We have stayed at the MacDonald Portal Hotel in near by Tarpoley and found it to be a much better standard.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
GMHV, General Manager at Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa, responded to this review, November 8, 2011
I would like to thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments following your recent stay here at the Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel. I am fairly new to the position and I was very disappointed to read your comments in relation to your breakfast experience, as this is an area of the business where Macdonald Hotels have spent a great deal of time on, as we realise how important the breakfast experience is to our guests. I would like to pass on my apologies for the shortfalls in standards and I would like to assure you that one of my first priorities will be ensuring that this aspect of the business is delivered to the Macdonald hotel standard. On a more positive note I am delighted that you enjoyed your treatment and the function you were attending. I do hope that your breakfast experience has not deterred you from using Macdonald Hotels again, and I would very much like to welcome you and your partner back to Hill Valley in the near future. Kind regards, Terence P Southward
Redditch, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2011

Stayed at this hotel at the end of October.
A pleasant welcome from Charlotte on reception who answered our questions in a professional manner.
Our room was nice, spacious and clean, as was the bathroom.
Plenty of clean towels were provided.
However the oversheet on the bed had a burn mark and the bed sheet had a hole and a blood stain on it. Another blanket had a huge tear, which i thought should have been noticed by housekeeping when the bed was made.
The channels on the tv were all grainy except for ITV1.
And the lamp on the dressing table wasn't working.
Onto the food.
The evening meal was beautiful, i had chicken liver parfait and a pork loin steak, my OH had tomato soup and a wonderful shin of beef, which we both thoroughly enjoyed.
For dessert i had a lemon tart and my OH had a sticky toffee pudding.
£3.65 for a pint of Carling but over £6 for a 125ml of wine or £8.95 for 250ml, i felt this was very excessive.
Breakfast on the Saturday morning was just as good a meal as the previous evening.
I have never tasted a piece of black pudding as good as this OMG it was heaven.
The service was excellent too as it was on the Friday evening.
Our evening meal on the Saturday was'nt as good as the Friday, i chose the shrimp cocktail and my OH had leek and veg soup, both were lovely.
For our mains i had a shoulder of lamb which was unfortunatley overcooked and the sauce over salted. My OH had chicken which she said was beautiful.
We both had a chocolate brownie and a single scoop of ice cream, which was adequate, i would have been very dissappointed had i paid £6.95 for it.
Breakfast on the Sunday morning was not as good as the previous morning.
Fried bread forgotten on the plate which we had to ask for and we also had to ask for some hot water for the tea pot, the black pudding was just as nice though.
Onto the treatments and pool area.
The pool is divided into two, one side for adults and children and the other for adults only.
The steam room and sauna were good.
I had a facial and stone back massage from Jessica which was exellent, my OH had a facial and back massage (but wished she had a stone one insetad).
The relaxation room was relaxingly wonderful.
Customer service from this part of the hotel was also exellent.
Checking out.
Take a good read of your bill as we were overcharged £13 for extras which we didnt have and also added to the bill which i'm not sure is actually legal is a £1 CHARITY DONATION. We had both removed from the bill immediatley as i like to choose who i donate my hard earned cash too. I wasnt asked if i wanted to donate it was just there on the bill!!!!!!!!!
On reflection, would i return ....yes i would, a few little niggles with the room (which we didnt feel the need to complain about at the time) but on the whole a very pleasant weekend break.

Room Tip: Ask for a view overlooking the golf course
1 Thank Badgerlad
Leeds
Reviewed October 25, 2011

Stayed here very recently as part of two couples with husbands playing golf and my friend and I having spa treatments. From walking into the hotel to leaving, I got the impression the whole hotel needs a shake-up! The two girls on Reception were the only two staff that seemed motivated, the rest seemed disinterested. Prices in the bar were some of the highest I have ever experienced and the type of prices you would pay in London in a 5* hotel. Example: steak sandwich (bar snack) supposedly served on ciabatta but came in normal bread - over £10!!! (no french fries, just a bit of garnish). On the subject of the 'lounge bar' this was very uninviting; chairs, sofas all past their sell by date looking worn and decrepit, lampshades damaged and not replaced, colour scheme dated, mould on the windows and roof of the conservatory area (which was also cold and uninviting) and greasy marks on the walls. The actual bedrooms were OK, quite large, but TV's cheap and nasty, didn't get the channels they were supposed to get and reception very poor. Bedlinen and towels clean and comfortable.
As previously posted, the dinner was included but we had to eat from the 'Market Menu??' or be charged extra (which we were). My three companions quite liked their choices but I wasn't impressed. Starter was bland, main course vegetables tasted like they had been warmed up. Sauce very strong impairing the taste of the rest of the food. Irish coffee had to be sent back to be redone. All in all a bit of a 'canteen' type experience.
As far as the spa was concerned, having checked the prices here again they were extremely costly for what you got. Having been to a professional health spa on more than one occasion I found the treatments to be be very underwhelming and although they advertise they are using an expensive brand, I think they actually cheat and use cheaper stuff, with the branded product slapped on at the end so you can smell it!!! My friend complained to a member of staff about her treatment not being very good and was told to see the spa manager (who we found had gone home!!)
Our husbands enjoyed their golf (once again - staff in the golf shop very unmotivated and golf buggies sub-standard/faulty) and the weather kept fine. We agreed that because of the offers on inclusive room prices, the hotel had to recoup some of the cost elsewhere. However, we thought some of this was taking thing a little too far. In my view the hotel needs a revamp, especially in the public rooms and the staff need to be better trained. Will try another Macdonald Hotel in the future to compare the difference.

Room Tip: There are some rooms for which they charge extra but were were told by Reception all rooms were the...
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank greennature_lover
Nottingham
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Stayed here for a weekend for a friend's wedding in Chester. Although it is also billed as a Spa hotel, it is primarily a golf hotel, and it caters for golfers rather than being an all round hotel and is not a typical MacDonald hotel - rooms were fine size but the bed was not terribly comfy, drinks were pricey and the spa was small and not as luxurious as most MacDonald hotels are.
The view from the room over the golf course is lovely but golfers tee-ing off at 6.30 a.m was not so great. If you're a golfer you'll probably love it!
All the usual facilities in the room.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 8, 2011

Me and my partner booked a spa day at the hotel and we had a great day, met by friendly staff shown around all the facilities, this includes swimming pool (no jacuzzi! but u can't have everything!), sauna, steam room, aromatherapy shower; this was not really an aromatherapy shower as there was no aroma to be smelt! but still! and lastly the gym which was fine.
All the facilities including the spa area we nice and clean no faults but be warned there are children around the pool area which can get a little loud at times. The spa itself is nice and relaxing. The relaxation area was a great chilled out room we loved the beds you could use here. the treatments we great! very refreshing!
Lunch was in the main restaurant which is not in the spa so you have to walk outside to get to it! they did say we could stay in our robes for lunch but i didn't fell like walking outside in front of a load of golfers in my little robe! the lunch we had (called a bento box!) was really nice seen as it was included in the days price, sometimes i find the included meals at these spas can be a bit small or boring! but this meal was really nice.
all-in-all i think we would return!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Whitchurch
Mercure Shrewsbury Albrighton Hall Hotel and Spa
Macdonald Craxton Wood Hotel & Spa
Lion Quays
Lion Quays
#1 of 1 in Weston Rhyn

Been to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa? Share your experiences!