I stayed at the hotel with my partner to attend a function and also to play golf. It was fairly obvious during our stay that the clientele was mostly single males, there on a cheap 2 night golfing break and whilst they were generally well behaved, the ambiance in the cocktail bar was more reminiscent of a tap room rather than an up market hotel bar.Clearly the golfing revenue is important to this hotel and it appears to take priority over other guests.
We attempted to check in early as I had booked a spa treatment for my partner whilst I played golf and were told that the room would be ready in an hour or less, sadly that wasnt the case and she was continually checking back with the desk until the room became available some 2 hours later. I understand that an early check in is not obligatory on the hotel but when you are told one hour and it turns to 2 hours and nobody keeps you informed, it is a little frustrating.
The design of the hotel is in itself a little hotch potch, with all the restaurant and bars located on a lower floor away from the main reception and entrance, this is further exacerbated by the somewhat dysfunctional aspect of the spa and pool area where guests who intend to use both the spa and pool have to actually walk outside in their towelling robes. Fine in the Summer, but rather different in Winter.
The meal in the evening was adequate and edible but the service from the bar was dreadful, with a complete absence of staff on several occasions. We had experienced some difficulty in the afternoon with the young staff being generally inattentive and quite curt and the service didn't get any better in the morning for breakfast.
The service at breakfast was dreadful, it took an age for someone to take our order, then there was an inordinate wait for it to arrive and when it did arrive I thought they had given us childrens portions it was so meagre.Plates for the buffet appeared in short supply and English as a second language seemed to be the order of the day with many of the staff, whom we had some difficulty in communicating with before a translator arrived.
Upon checking out I expected to only pay for extras as the room had been prepaid but the receptionist insisted that wasn't the case, so assuming there had been an administrative error on our part, I paid by debit card. When I arrived at work on Monday I discovered we had indeed pre paid and after a number of phone calls the hotel called me to ask for my card details which I gave and they advised that the money would be back in my account by the end of the week. At this stage I asked what they intended to do to compensate me for my inconvinience and suggested a free round of golf, the response was for the company representative to laugh! When I explained I wasn't joking she said it wasn't their policy to compensate. I did ask for the name of the Manager which I was given, but quite frankly I was so fed up with them by this stage I didn't want to prolong my pain any longer.
I have stayed at golfing venue hotels many times before and I have also stayed at Macdonald Hotels before but my experience has never been as poor as this. Our stay started with a negative and finished with a negative with some elements of mediocrity sandwiched in between. The function we attended is an annual one and was at this venue for the first time, I'll be surprised if it's rebooked for next year but if it is, I wont be attending!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Escape to Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa in the heart of Shropshire, a golfer's paradise with two challenging courses to get your teeth into and a wonderful Spa with Rasul, rock sauna and eight treatment rooms for those who just want to lounge around and relax. Surrounded by peaceful grounds, it's amazing how accessible this hotel is in Whitchurch on the A49 and close to the major motorways; M53, M56, M6 and M54. Be inspired with plenty of local attractions on your doorstep including nearby Chester Zoo and the Ironbridge Museums and after a busy day, retire back to the hotel for a delicious meal produced using only the finest, quality ingredients. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Priceline, Orbitz, Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Cancelon, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Country Club Hotel Whitchurch
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf And Country Club
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel Country
- Macdonald Hill Valley Hotel, Golf & Spa Whitchurch, Shropshire, UK