“Spa and afternoon tea ”

Macdonald Hill Valley Spa
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed September 16, 2017 via mobile

I have visited the spa 12 months ago and had a lovely experience. So I decided to take a friend to have a spa day together. I booked the rasul treatment and champagne afternoon tea.
Firstly the spa facilities are very good for the price you pay, the staff are very helpful and friendly, the relaxation room is lovely and very cosy! We both had the self treatment which was a lovely experience. Although on the day I came over all light headed and fainted during my treatment, the staff there acted quickly and made me feel well looked after and I cannot fault them for this.
However our afternoon tea was the let down to our experience... last time I visited it was presented on a 3 tier stand and we had it in the spa lounge which was all round lovely. However this visit we had it in the restaurant area which we didn't mind.
But the experience in the restaurant area was sadly let down by the staff member who didn't seem very helpful. Firstly we did asked politely if we could change tables as we were right by the window but it seemed a lot of trouble to move 1 place mat so we stayed to avoid hassle. The afternoon tea was not presented on a 3 tier stand instead was placed on 3 separate plates where we were very tight for space. The scones were very disappointing as they were very small. And the tea pot looked unpresentable as it had all stains on the lid. And finally very minor but the window ledge had marks of fly muck on as well as a dead fly, although this was only little fault it just made it look unpresentable and not appetising when your dining.
I hate to complain but I just thought a lovely experience at the spa with helpful and polite staff, was sadly let down by the restaurant area.

All reviews
"elemis"
"voucher"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed August 28, 2017

We stayed a couple of nights to attend a wedding in the area. The room was spacious and had everything needed for a short stay. The decor was somewhat bland, but we were not there all that much.
There was a pleasant welcome at reception. Check out was simple. Breakfast was a self service buffet with plenty of choice with a cafetière of coffee.

Reviewed August 17, 2017

We had a lovely spa day, the spa treatments were excellent very thorough and attentive best treatments we have ever had. Lunch was lovely on time with prosecco, and we had a free Elemis gift bag, would come back. Thankyou

Reviewed July 7, 2017

Ist July 2017 l travelled from Edinburgh for a family 60th Birthday party there was 9 adult's and two children. The hotel knew it was a special occasion we had dressed the table with balloons etc; table was booked for 7.30pm we were all seated by then,there was no welcome, after 20 mins we had to get the attention of staff to order drinks, food was pre ordered yet wrong food was brought out bread rolls aventually came out after we has finished the starters staff seemed untrained and at times confused as to what they should be doing. Four of us ordered the so called special burgers that where cooked to death, when my daughter complained she was told thats how they where cooked, her meal was replaced some 20 mins later. My daughter inlaw went to complain to the manager about the poor food and service and total lack of interest, to be told he would sort it out with the restaurant manager. He never appeared 20 mins later a tray of Prosecco came. I would have been a lot happier if the manager had come to apologise. By 10pm we still hadn't had dessert. And the table had not been cleared as they came to clear the table they also came out with the dessert! At which point l said surely you should clear the table first. My 84 year old Mother inlaw was so upset by this time saying this is my Sons 60th birthday how disappointing. At no time did anyone come and ask us if everything was OK! Then we had to remind them about the birthday cake. Which they had not taken out of the fridge! over all a total shambles. After further complaints childrens meals and drinks where not charged. Sadly that does not make up for a very disappointing evening. If there was any saving grace breakfast was OK! Rooms and hotel and grounds very nice. But sadly l would never recommend it to anyone