“Warm welcoming pub, with tasty well presented food”

The Horse and Jockey
Ranked #7 of 53 Restaurants in Whitchurch
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Description: We are a family run country pub that welcomes Children, dogs & mudddy boot's. We concentrate on producing quality, home cooked fresh pub food made from local produce at competitive prices. We have 8 ever changing real ales, along with quality wines and refreshments for all your requirements.
“Warm welcoming pub, with tasty well presented food”
Reviewed February 2, 2014 via mobile

Great place lovely atmosphere, owners lovely too. Had several meals here all been very nice, plenty to eat and well presented.

• Visited February 2014

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“First visit, definitely not the last.”
Reviewed January 5, 2014 via mobile

My girlfriend and I drove past this pub on our way to Cheshire Oaks and noticed it had appeared to have had a refurbishment.
Upon our return from our shopping trip we decided to give the Horse and Jockey a try. There appeared to be quite a few cars on the car park, which is always a good sign at 5.45 on a Saturday afternoon.
As soon as we walked in we instantly knew we'd made the right choice. The decor was lovely with a rustic and welcoming feel and we were greeted by two friendly bar staff who took our drinks order immediately. We chose our table and both selected a starter and main course. I chose the caramelised red onion and goats cheese tartlet while my girlfriend chose the Blue cheese mushrooms in tortilla basket. We both really enjoyed our starters and knew that we wouldn't be disappointed with our main. I had the 10oz rib eye with heavenly peppercorn sauce and proper chunky chips whilst my girlfriend opted for medallions of pork fillet in stout and mushroom sauce with black pudding crushed potatoes and winter vegetables. My steak was cooked to perfection and the sauce complimented it beautifully. The pork my girlfriend had was deliciously tender and the accompanying sauce brought it together perfectly.
After our meal we looked at the menu to see what we'd have next time. An amazing experience from start to finish and we will definitely be going back.

• Visited January 2014
wigan
“Nice place BAD FOOD!”
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

Great place nice real ales friendly staff but food was really poor won't eat there again or at least until they change the chef . Disappointing !

1 Thank smelly bear
Palm City, Florida
“Wet, Muddy, Hungry Narrowboaters Welcome Too!”
Reviewed January 3, 2014

LOVED, LOVED, LOVED this pub so much! Horse and Jockey is a warm, inviting pub/restaurant with really exceptional staff! The moment we walked in with growling belly's we were treated like royalty! (no pun intended!!!)

We, being American's, with very little knowledge of ales and lagers, were offered a try before choosing! Wow! So nice of them to allow that little taste-test first! That was much appreciated by us needless-to-say!

Time for dinner with some friends!

Our English friends, Jenny & Colin, had driven from Birmingham to join us for a weekend of narrowboating and holiday cheer and this is where we met-up to kick-off our adventure together! I had the steak and kidney pie which was the best I've ever had, super chunky with perfectly cooked meats!!! Loads of food and really very, very good. I was overwhelmed by the size of this pie which wasn't in the typically British Pie form, more like a large stew with the crusty goodness placed upon the top so as not to drown in the gravy! (That's a GOOD thing if you're narrowboaters after all!) All of us were thrilled not just by the service here, but by the icredible pub food with which we were graced! I know I'm a Yank, but we were with two proper Brit's who agreed it was way above average!

Next comes BLAZE! Blaze has a beer named after him on the beer menu there! He deserves a beer named after him! He's a GORGEOUS dog with a very comic yet serious face! It's ALL show, he's a magnificent dog and one that I will NEVER forget! He's well-mannered and handsome, hungry by dog standards, hence that cute look he might give you if you're a "softie" like me! He wins, I gave the boy treats, but not without his owners permission first! His owner happens to be the manager and I loved him as well! There was simply nothing that off his list as far as making us feel welcomed, warm and fed!

The food was great, the staff FABULOUS, the dog, well, come armed with treats because once you meet Blaze, you'll NEED to indulge him! He's just one of those dogs! This pub, it's just ONE of those pubs you shouldn't miss! We'll be back in April during our next canal cruise.

The Horse and Jockey is a pub NOT to be missed. (I miss it already!)

Kudos to the staff and to the management, allowing muddy paws and narrowboaters is to your BIG advantage!!!! The food was WONDERFUL!!!!

Still thinking about our time there! New Year's Eve was the best too, although we didn't dine, we just danced!

GREAT PLACE! We went back 8-days after our first visit on the return portion of our holiday!

The staff, food, atmosphere

• Visited December 2013
Colchester, United Kingdom
“Dog (and child) friendly pub - very friendly”
Reviewed January 1, 2014

Called in for petrol at the garage opposite on our way back from Anglesey to Essex with our dog, a well behaved English Springer Spaniel, early in the evening of 30th Dec 13. Whilst exercising the dog in their car park saw the sign on the door saying "children, dogs and muddy boots welcome" - and it is certainly true. Great pub, friendly people and good food with a drinking bowl for the dog. We'll certainly call again.

• Visited January 2014