The Cholmondeley Arms
$113
The Paddock(Malpas)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsold schoolthe pubgin tastingsteak and kidney piemain coursesunday lunchgreat foodpuddingsharing platterconverted schoolmr birddifferent typeslast visitmember of staffgood pub guidecar parkmy partner
Reviewed April 11, 2013

This place is fabulous! Really good concept of the school and the headmaster's house. We stayed one night in room 6. The room was cosy despite it being bitterly cold outside.
We ate dinner in the pub. My partner's a big real ale fan and I like my gin so we were not disappointed! I tried the 'Gintroduction' of 3 Scottish gins. We had a sharing platter of warm seafood which was excellent and then a main course, pork belly for me and goat stew for the partner and they were both delicious.
Breakfast in the morning consisted of locally sourced bacon, eggs and sausages and freshly squeezed orange juice.
Our only complaint being.....we were only there for one night. We loved it and we want to go back!

PS We were there just before the Wales v England 6N decider and well done Wales - the landlord will be happy!!

Room Tip: Room 6 is at the back of the house and away from the traffic noise
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 11, 2013

A wonderful pub and quest rooms. Open fires in the lounges. Very comfy bed in room 5, which was a large room with full size bathroom. Best thing about this pub are the people who work there. Ste the manager and all the bar and resturant staff were very friendly and made us feel very welcome. Food was good and reasonably priced for the location. Real ales and the 135 (yes 135) gins they stock went down very well! We will be back.

Room Tip: Room 5 is large with a very comfy bed. Some background noise from the fan attached to the kitchen located across the car park early in the morning but just turned over and went back to sleep.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2012

The Cholmoneley Arms is an absolute gem, in every way imaginable.
I travelled to the UK from my home in Spain to attend the Pageant of Power event at the nearby Cholmoneley Castle in the middle of June, and spent three most enjoyable nights at the 'Chum' as it is known locally.
The staff, more than ably led by Steve, are really friendly and go out of their way to help in whatever way they can. The log fire (in June!) in the bar area was a real plus for me, as I don't do getting wet at all well these days, and it hardly stopped raining for the duration of my stay, with some torrential showers thrown in for good measure - not good when you are attending an outdoor event.
The evening meals were a delight, and I would seriously recommend the Barnsley Chop. Another plus were the accompanying vegetables, served al-dente, and IMO cooked to perfection. I didn't get as far as the sweets, but apparently they are fantastic too.The breakfasts were impressive, and provided a great start to the day. The only disappointment for me was that I had to go back to Spain on Sunday morning, and so I missed the Sunday lunch which, according to the pub's extremely friendly locals, is exceptional. Next time ...
The bedrooms are a short distance across the car park, in what used to be the headmaster's house, when the pub building functioned as the Cholmoneley Estate school.The rooms are of a good size, and are kept impeccably clean and very well serviced by the staff. I was a bit worried about possible traffic noise from the road but my worries were unfounded - the windows and thick curtains kept any unwanted noise well and truly at bay. Another plus point for me was that my room was kept warm by a large radiator which was fully temperature adjustable - and the fresh pack of ground coffee everyday for the cafetiere just clinched it for me - I'll be back!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed June 18, 2012

The Chomondeley Arms is a lovely little hotel that my hubby and I stayed in with friends after my friend and I completed the 10mile Pink Ribbon walk. Only downside was that there wasn't a bath but only a shower! We both would of loved a bit of a soak after the walk. The place was clean and tidy and quite quaint. It's a converted 'Headmasters' house and the restaurant was in the 'old school'. It was a charming stay with lovely food.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 17, 2012

As a former local of the Cholmondeley ( I was present on opening night in 1988 ), Please note that all reviews written before the new team took over should be discounted . The former tenant left a while after the sad loss of her husband and the place was in limbo for a few months until Tim and Mary took it on . It's now top drawer -I have no axe to grind and am not a relative or friend of the proprietors -its just that I don't want people to miss out on going there because they've read an old review . Hope you enjoy it if you visit . Jeff D

Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple