“Mr. Duc's wonderful hospitality”
Review of Viet Hoang Hotel

Viet Hoang Hotel
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Dien Bien Phu
Viet Hoang Hotel
Sydney, Australia
“Mr. Duc's wonderful hospitality”
Reviewed December 16, 2013

I came to Dien Bien Phu on a Saturday and planned to stay for 2 days. I went to the Viet Hoang and for $15 it seemed a great place - and after several days it IS a cut above the next door #2 guest house I stayed in. I stayed in the May Hong which is $12.50 a night. the only difference is that it seems a bit older and the tv was not working. BUT great firm beds - two doubles. Safe and clean and LOTS of hot water. Off the street so quiet until maybe 7 am.

I left after 2 days and took a 6 pm bus (sleeper bus) for Hanoi, but it came back at 10:30 pm (because of a rain-caused landslide which blocked the highway overnight) and guess what, Mr Duc helped me get sorted and I checked into his #2 hotel again. Great sleep with good wi-fi.

Right now I have received a full refund from the bus company and have booked an $80 ticket on Vietnam Airlines (DIN to HAN). This way I don't lose another day and will be in Hanoi tonight.

Mr. Duc showed me the Viet Hoang rooms (start on the 2nd floor, while the #2 hotel room I had was on the 1st floor) and it is quite good. Surprisingly good after my travels in Laos. The rooms are bright and sun-filled with windows that open (in hotel #2 the windows do not open). A great value for $15. Modern flat screen cable TV, wi-fi that is VERY strong. They will make Vietnamese coffee too which is great. There is air-con but not needed in cool/chilly December. Warm quilts on the bed. A wall-mounted fan is in each room too. The beds are firm and there are 2 double beds (actually 1 bed is a bit narrower than a regular double, but for 2 parents and 2 kids a $15 (USD) room just across from the bus station and 1 km from the DBP airport is excellent value. There is a nearby ATM and several shops that sell pho and other Vietnamese foods.

His email is Viethoanghotel@gmail.com. The ,mobile is 09167 55 99 or 0989 797 988.

This place is better than Lonely Planet makes it out to be. Mr. Duc does speak decent English - good enough to be understood :D

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank tmac100

Business
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed November 3, 2013

The woman welcoming me was very friendly, but I won't forgive the unfriendly 15 ou 16 year old boy replacing her when she was absent for having written "[--] you" in my passport (which I had to leave at the reception) for some unknown reason. As for the room, I liked it, even though 150 000 Dongs is quite expensive for such a non-touristic town. Still, I loved the city for it's people and the few Indochina War remnants.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank hersch67

Travelers are raving about these Dien Bien Phu hotels

Paris, France
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I had read a good review of this place on Lonely planet, on arrival I was informed there was only rooms at 15$ but noticed later there were rooms let out at a cheaper rate to others that same day, The reception consists of young tatooed teenage boys playing video games with very little english, when changing money they simply ripped me off by charging me a VERY fat comission from dollar to dong, and then from dong to Kip, when I informed them that this was even more expensive than Hanoi or Saigon they simply said THIS is Dien Bien Phu, Hotel room was very basic, with no towels except 2!! floor mats, The WORST place I have stayed in, in all my travels in SE asia (4th trip) Even Poipet seems like Disneyland compared to this dump

• Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank pauldkelly2000
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 2, 2013

We stayed here to spend a day in DBP. Nice town, off beat with no tourists. But stay elsewhere. They have cheap rooms at 150k which were awful so we looked at the othrr rooms (300k) and were so tired we mistakenly said yes. Lets see what we got:
- Horrible service, no staff around. Take your money (upfront) then disappeared.
- Room smelled of cigerette smoke as others on here reported.
- Air con wouldnt work. Hot boiler wouldnt work.
- When we lay down we noticed the pillows STANK. So with no staff there we walked around the other rooms (which were just left open) to find clean ones. The fact this took us several rooms of looking sums up this hotel.
- We had 2 hours to wait for our bus. When we found staff we asked to leave our bags (a service offered to us for free everywhere we stayed in Vietnam) and she wanted 50k per bag.

Be lucky to have checked this out on TA, we wish we had. Walk 2 min down the street from the bus stop amd there are nice looking places.

• Stayed September 2013
2 Thank michty6
London
Reviewed May 17, 2013

Stayed 1 night here on our way through to Laos. Great location right by the bus station, a reasonable price (200k Dong), staff seemed friendly but spoke no English.
The main issue was that it was filthy. Ash still in the ashtray, bins not emptied, floor never been swept, sheet was dirty with burn holes in it, millions of bugs stuck in the mosquito net.
We sucked it up because we arrived late and were leaving early, but wouldn't recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Caroline T
Bad Kreuznach
Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed at the Viet Hoang Hotel for a one night stay in March 2013 on route from Sapa to Oudomxay. The owner was very friendly and gave us information about the buses for the next day travel. The room smelled of cigarette smoke but otherwise was okay for a one night stay, the bathroom was nothing special but there was plenty of hot water for the shower, the room cost us $10.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KenandLinda69
Seattle
Reviewed October 22, 2012

Like most people I spent just one night in Dien Bien Phu and the Viet Hoang met my needs quite well. I paid 150,000 dong (US$7.50) for a clean and pleasant enough room. Lots of windows and light during the day and a small balcony. The mattresses on the two twin beds were thin but reaonably comfortable. As others have mentioned the hotel is conveniantly located near the bus station. There was an air-con unit but I felt no need for it; thhe big fan sufficed.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo