“Worth looking at”

Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception
Ranked #1 of 22 things to do in Chanthaburi
Reviewed December 29, 2013

This is a beautiful large Church, the carved wooden staircase at one end is amazing but the most amazing sight is the Jewel encrusted gown of the statue of Mary inside the church.

1  Thank oncewereworkers
There are newer reviews for Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception

Reviewed December 26, 2013

I went to chantaburi to visit friends and we were drawn to the church by the sound of the bells. Once I saw the steeples I knew it was a Catholic church. It was wonderful to see, I walked around the church and took photos but didn't go inside until the following day. There were young students in school uniforms all around the area of the church square. The church seemed to be the center of the community. Very nicely lit at night.

3  Thank Tom M
Reviewed December 22, 2013 via mobile

I am Catholic so I was keen to see this cathedral. I enjoyed seeing it as it was different plus for me it was an emotional visit. My non religious husband also enjoyed it for the spectacular artworks (statue of Mary, stations of the cross etc). We did not get a tour of the place as there was no English speaking volunteers (well at least that we could see) but was still good to walk around and enjoy it.

This may be common sense to most, but try to dress appropriately (what you'd wear to a temple). My shorts were too short but they provided a sarong for me to wear inside.

1  Thank Jessie-Lula-Belle-7
Reviewed August 26, 2013

A fabulous place to visit. Really peaceful and we had a great guided tour by a young volunteer. Nice place to eat in front to the right as well. Go over the foot bridge in front of the cathdral and turn right to walk along the historical old streets. Great place to go!

1  Thank mrhipkiss
Reviewed August 3, 2013

It was quite fascinating to find this large Catholic Cathedral in such a place as Chantaburi. We enjoyed our look around and the staff were incredibly friendly and helpful. There is an "Icon" style artwork nside the Cathedral which is quite amazing as it is made from semi precious stones. I didn't realise it was "painted" in this style until a lovely lady told me to look closer and I then noticed the absolute magnificent detail - it is worth going to the Cathedral just to see this picture.