“Fantastic” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Manvers Arms

Manvers Arms
Ranked #1 of 28 Restaurants in Mexborough
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Bar scene, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Home cooked food served all day every day 12-9pm excluding Sunday 12-8pm full lunch and evening menu and special board. Sunday carvery only 12- 5.30. Function room available for weddings and parties. Christmas menu available throughout December
Yorkshire
“Fantastic”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013

Went on Saturday night to celebrate a special family birthday. There were 14 of us all ordering different meals. There was a good choice to suit different tastes, all varying in price, some exotic some just plain pub fare. They were also happy to provide other food combos not on the menu. The food was excellent, the best pub grub I have had in a long time. It was well presented, full of flavour and piping hot. The chips were delicious. The staff were attentive. Despite what someone else said the desserts were also excellent. I shared the 'trio of delights' with my partner. A generous selection of three different desserts with ice cream, orgasmic, more than enough for two, and a real bargain at £3.95. I will certainly be making the effort to return.

• Visited June 2013
2 Thank weknowwhatwelike

chesterfield
“The best food In South Yorkshire”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 22, 2013 via mobile

We went as a family and all ordered different meals , they were all fantastic and freshly cooked . You cannot fault this place I live 25 miles away now but when we visit relatives would go back straight away .

1 Thank sarah a
yorks
“fantastic”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I have been to The Manvers Arms 3 times in the last month and everything from going through the door was 1st class
staff made you more then welcome
the range of drinks is vast including real ales
the menu is also comprehensive with daily specials
if you have a good appetite go for the mixed grill
the only thing i are a little disappointed in are the sweets in my eyes i don't they are home made, but if you have room for one well done as the portions are on the big size
Also Sunday lunch is to die for but please book so as not to be disappointed
would i go back o yes please asap.

Doncaster, United Kingdom
“Superb bar meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Called in last night with my wife and two daughters for our evening meal, not been in for quite a while so we were not sure what to expect, but boy were we glad we did! By far the best bar meal we have had for a long time. Two steak and ale pies, hunters chicken, and a wonderful burger with "real" chips were delicious, left nothing. Our girls had cheesecake for dessert and they said it was the best they have had. All for under fifty quid, outstanding value and quality, it won't be long before we go back again.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Not just pub grub, this is fine dining.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

I cannot rate this pub restaurant highly enough. My husband and I brought our son and my mother here in April and as soon as we walked in, everything was perfect. The staff were attentive but not overbearing and allowed us to choose a preferred table near the window to eat.

The decor is traditional English with lovely muted lights and natural lights from the windows - ambiance is important to me as I dislike restaurants that are garishly lit. The Manvers Arms gets it just right.

Being really into entertaining and cooking myself (hey, I won Come Dine With Me, that's how passionate I am about both!) I can be quite critical of ambiance and food served. The food at the Manvers Arms was faultless, just perfectly prepared and cooked.

I had a steak baguette, the steak was perfect; medium rare, just as I like it, and the baguette was fresh and also filled with beautifully caramelised onions. We were served two huge bowls of thick-cut chips between us which had a perfect, deep crispy coating and fluffy melt-in-the-mouth insides. I would say they had been triple-cooked but certainly double. At any rate they were the best chips I've eaten out anywhere in the recent past.

My husband had beer-battered haddock and chips. He is a fish and chip afficionado and a regular of the legendary Gravely's in Leeds. He told me he was served a beautiful huge piece of flaky white haddock with perfect crisp bubbly batter and no bones. He also thought the chips were perfect.

My son and mother had the Manvers Arms Steak and Ale pie served with vegetables. They both said it was fantastic with perfectly cooked veg, and my mother said the pie was the best pie she'd ever eaten in her entire life and she's eighty years old. Now there's a thing!

The table next to us was laid out for a fortieth birthday party with balloons and sprinkles of pretty confetti on the tablecoth, it looked absolutely stunning as you can see in the photo.

Afterwards the owner came and chatted to us - what a lovely woman - and then allowed us to thank the chef, her husband, personally.

I can't recommend this pub restaurant highly enough. Fortunate for us that it's round the corner from my mum's so we're now going to make it our regular monthly trip out for mum. In fact we're going for our second visit tomorrow and this time bringing not only my son again but one of my daughters and her best friend from Manchester who, besides seeing granny, can't wait to try the wonderful food they've heard about. Yup, they're flocking from all over the North of England, and who can blame them! :)

Well worth a day out. You will not be disappointed.

• Visited April 2013