“A Hidden Gem”

Ban J Vegetarian Restaurant
Ranked #4 of 73 Restaurants in Nan
Reviewed January 15, 2015 via mobile

Finding the restaurant wasn't exactly clear, but it was worth the effort. My friends and I were welcomed by a wonderfully kind women who prepares her menu depending on what is fresh that day. It honestly feels like a home cooked meal. Wonderful environment, fresh changing menu, and a kind owner.

4  Thank Gilligaan
Write a reviewReviews (32)

Reviewed January 10, 2015 via mobile

I am living in Thailand and as a vegetarian it is always difficult for me to find food or communicate that I am a vegetarian. It was nice to eat without the worry and Jin, the owner, is so incredibly friendly and nice. You get to choose one dish with rice for 30 baht or 2 dishes with rice for 40 baht. Totally worth it and delicious!

2  Thank breeonuh
Reviewed July 12, 2014 via mobile

I have been here several time with my gf because this place very close to my gf house in nan town.

very nice owner friendly and kindly u wont feel like restaurant you will feel like home kitchen.

must visit if you are looking for good vegetarian food fresh and delicious.

2  Thank phuketswain
Reviewed June 6, 2014

This small restaurant was my favourite place in Nan. The owner Ms. Jin is a lovely person and a amazing cook. The menu changes every day, everything is prepared fresh and served in the nice garden of Jin's house. The atmosphere is great, Jin makes you feel at home and prepares everything with so much love. The restaurant closes at 2 pm, so don't be to late, because a lot of locals order their food there and sometimes some dishes are sold out very early.

Date of visit: June 2014
4  Thank LostGirl79
Reviewed February 11, 2014

I stumbled upon this restaurant by accident on a late afternoon. I received a very friendly welcome by the owner, Ms. Jin.

She told me the restaurant was already closed (it's open from early morning until 14:00), but she offered to make me food asking me which ingredients I like. She made me simple, tasty stir-fried veggies in a nice sauce. She has a lot of other options, all homestyle vegetarian dishes. You can get free ice-cold water (no plastic bottles). The dish I had was big, for just 30baht.

Her restaurant is in her home, with a quiet outdoor terrace. Ms. Jin helped me practising my Thai and offered me a motorbike ride back to my hotel.

To find the restaurant: walk past the Chinese temple (when it's on your left hand side) on Sumonthewarat str. (=one of the main streets in the center). Right after the temple there is an alley on your left (soi 5). Don't go into that alley, but walk on. Then you will see a yellow sign with 'vegetarian restaurant' on your left, Right before a small cafe called Paksoi. Go into that alley and after a minute you'll see the restaurant in front of you.

Date of visit: January 2014