“Married only policy!”
Review of Le Meridien Nagpur

Le Meridien Nagpur
Ranked #1 of 48 Hotels in Nagpur
Reviewed January 18, 2013

A friend of mine (a foreign woman) and I are both, respectable senior citizens, and we have traveled together in India and abroad widely. We have never had a problem securing a double room together. However, after I had booked the room and rang up the hotel to ask about coordinating with the complimentary hotel taxi to pick my friend up from the airport (I was in Nagpur already) the person asked me whether I was married to her (presumably because I used the world friend). When I told her I was not, she said I could then not stay in the room as it was against hotel policy (along with colleagues sharing a room, etc).. I said I had never heard of this before anywhere in India or abroad and could I speak to her manager. He confirmed the same, and when I said could I then have my money back said no, it was too late since I had booked through a third party. I pointed out that there was no mention of the hotel policy on the website and that I would sue the hotel if I did not get my money back.. Failing to obtain satisfaction I spoke to the resident manager who did after some discussion agree to accept us as guests only after I told him we were "quite old and respectable people"..

While I can see hotels do sometimes get undesirable people surely being unmarried should not in itself be a concern. Also any policy should be announced clearly and less ham-handed ways of enforcing it should be adopted. It could be embarasing indeed for an unmarried couple to be turned away at the desk.

The hotel was very good in other ways, and I enjoyed the pool, and the large room. I send this review in the hope that it will prevent embarrassment from being caused to others. I object also to an arrow being drawn though the heart below. Not all couples are in love (unlike young honeymooning couples) so I am going to click on friends.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
7  Thank Prabhakar G
SunnSandHotelGroup, General Manager at Le Meridien Nagpur, responded to this reviewResponded January 24, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback with us on Tripadvisor.

The hotel exercises its right to admission in specific circumstances. However this is not a written policy and we exercise it to ensure that we have the right profile of guests staying at the hotel. This policy seems to have been taken a little too seriously by the person who attended your phone call. I apologise for the misunderstanding in your case.

My team and I would love to welcome you again on your next visit to Nagpur.

Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed here for a week. Didnot get reservation in my standard hotel so had to stay here. Was a memorable experience. The location is not good, was around 8 kms from the airport and outside the city however the hotel makes up for it with the food and the service. Breakfast was lavish and yummy. Room service was good too. I would recommend it for long stays when you dont have to visit the city everyday

Room Tip: Na I only stayed in one so dont have too much idea
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled on business
4  Thank bhakok
SunnSandHotelGroup, General Manager at Le Meridien Nagpur, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sun-n-Sand Nagpur and taking time out to share your experience with us! It is with the help of valuable feedback such as yours that we can continue our efforts towards attaining guest satisfaction.

The Hotel is located at a short 5 minute drive from the Airport and city centre is about 15 minutes away as you may have noticed. The location for the Hotel was selected on the basis of the upcoming MIHAN project and SEZ being developed in the vicinity. The development is in full swing and it's only a matter of time that the area would become a world class location.

My team and I would love to welcome you again on your next visit to Nagpur.

Reviewed January 4, 2013

This is a hotel ahead of its time. Locationally speaking. It's literally in the middle of nowhere. Off the Wardha Road highway, its surrounded by nothing but fields. Idyllic for some maybe, but it would have been good to know in advance. It's waiting for the rest of the city to catch up with it.

The family and I needed to visit Nagpur for a reunion and being unfamiliar with the city, we looked up hotel choices on the net. Based on the groups reputation in Bombay I picked this hotel. There was no clue that the hotel was so inconveniently located with absolutely no transportatation choices save for the outrageously priced private cabs from the hotel desk. Once you're out there in the boonies, you are at their mercy!

When I asked the concierge for the number for a Radio Can service that I knew existed in Nagpur (Wings Cabs), he refused to give me the information - constantly pointing me to the travel desk. On repeated and insistant questioning, he admitted to me that they have instructions not to give guests the number and make sure everyone used the hotel cars or the travel desk private cabs (which are in pathetic condition I may add). I finally raised a ruckus with the lobby manager who finally gave me the number after a lot of hemming and hawing.

The property itself is lovely. Great public areas. Contemporary and well appointed large rooms, surprisingly clean bathrooms with new fittings. The mattress is adequate - could be better, but not bad so far. I can imagine it sagging soon though. The Gym is great - we were not too keen on trying out the spa services - never sure what the standards of hygiene there would be - It is located about 20 mins (in the wrong direction!) from the airport and offers an airport shuttle service that is convenient.

The restaurants look good. The food choice on the buffet is satisfactory. The food itself is nothing speactacular. Average 4-Star fare - the usual mix of rich oily curries and "Indian" Chinese and continenantal choices. It could use more local cuisine in the spread. Good value for money - since they were offering a 50% discount on the dinner buffet for several categories of customers. The breakfast spread is much better with an egg station and lots of Indian and Western breakfast choices. Not sure about the freshness though. On one of the mornings the ambitiously titled "Cheese Platter" (Amul cheese cubes in a martini glass on a bed of lettuce(!!??)) was clearly old and the bread was stale. After pointing it out, the manager changed the entire bread basket and one of the servers naively admitted to the bread being often stale. Apparently its the istruction from the local F&B staff.

The hotel offers free wi-fi in the lobby and the rooms which is great. Finally, there is a store called "Gaysons Boutique" in the lobby that sells all kinds of locally crafted items including copies and knock-offs of famous branded luxury watches under the claim that they are "First Copy" and have an international guarantee. The watches are even showcased in the main lobby!! I recovered from the inital shock that they were selling fakes in a reputed hotel and then had a side splitting lauging fit after he told me about the international guarantee.

We also had a glitch on the billing when checking out that took10 minutes to sort out. Look its a great looking hotel with a staff that is clearly not knowledgable about premium service and is struggling with training etc. They use obvious and itrritating ways to drive guest revenue. Net, I would not recommend this hotel until it has had a chance to mature as there are other superior choices in the city that are better known and offer better services and which are located within the city!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank achemsrazor

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sun-n-Sand Nagpur and taking time out to share your valuable feedback with us on Tripadvisor.

Sun-n-Sand Nagpur was commissioned in 2009. During that time, it seemed like the MIHAN project would be completed in a matter of 2 years. However the project has been delayed. Now the development is in full swing and it's only a matter of time that the area would become a world class location. Having said that the Hotel is located at a short 5 minute drive from the Airport and city centre is about 15 minutes away.

The radio cab service number is available and there is no compulsion for the guest to hire a cab through the hotel's travel desk. I apologise in case you felt otherwise.

The local cuisine is very spicy. We have offered local cuisine in the buffet spread in the past however the feedback was not very encouraging. We have noted your suggestions and shall discuss with my team. The cheese platter has been discontinued as it is difficult to source international cheeses from Nagpur.

I apologise for the inconvinience caused during your check out and I assure you that this is an exception to our usual service standards.

Reviewed December 29, 2012

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
Review collected in partnership with Cleartrip
3  Thank Daniel A
SunnSandHotelGroup, General Manager at Le Meridien Nagpur, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2013

Reviewed December 24, 2012

We chose Sun n Sand because of its location - handy for the new cricket stadium which is aboiut 15 Km south of Nagpur. Sun n Sand had been open for about three years when we visited. It has all the facilities you might need but the systems don't yet work smoothly. The staff are friendly and willing but do not seem to know what they are supposed to be doing a lot of the time. The wine list looks fine but they only have a couple of the wines listed. The buffet breakfast looks what you would expect but the fruit selection is limited and, given that Nagpur is the City of Oranges, it was surprising that orange juice was not available on several days. On the plus side, the 'Kebab Hut' restaurant (at lot more up market than its name would suggest) serves amazing birianis and excellent kebabs. Forget the sort of kebab you find tempting only after a skinful of beer on a Saturday night, these are delicate and subtly spiced. You can see the cooking taking place in steamers and on chargrills as the kitchen protrudes into the restaurant. When they get the systems and processes sorted, this will be a very good hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Wilf E
SunnSandHotelGroup, General Manager at Le Meridien Nagpur, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sun-n-Sand Hotel, Nagpur & taking time out to share your feedback with us. We have noted your comments and shall take relevant action.

My team and I would like to welcome you again on your next visit to Nagpur.

Reviewed December 20, 2012

Visited on England's 2012 tour to India. The hotel is located about 4km from the cricket ground so is an ideal location for getting to and from the ground, also good for the airport and easy enough to get into Nagpur. I was very impressed by the hotel, it does look like a power station but the rooms are excellent, very clean and the wifi connection was generally quick and probably one of the best I used during my stay in India. The breakfast and buffet are both very good and the beer is also a good price for an Indian hotel which is a bonus on a cricket tour. The staff were very helpful and airport pick up and drop off went well. There is nothing around the hotel but it is cheap enough and easy enough to travel into Nagpur.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing Sun-n-Sand Hotel, Nagpur and taking time out to share your feedback with us.

My team and I would love to welcome you again on your next visit to Nagpur!

Reviewed December 19, 2012

This is rated as a 5-star hotel and came recommended. However, it is now quite old and showing its age. When you consider that the Radisson Blu,a brand new hotel just down the road, is cheaper, this hotel is really quite poor and needs to buck up its ideas to compete.

Positives:
- Very good food quality and selection in the restaurant. Averagely expensive as you would expect a hotel like this to be but still worth it.
- The pool is excellent. Long swim length and cool water. Changing rooms/spa etc are a bit dank but functional.

Negatives:
- The biggest negative is that it is in the middle of nowhere. Quite literally. You can not go for a stroll out of the hotel because it is not located on a street, there are no shops nearby, it is literally isolated.
- Coupled with this is the transport service provided by the hotel. Because it is so isolated, you can not flag down a local cab because they do not pass. So you have no choice but to use the hotel transport service at what ever price they quote.
- The rates are expensive considering it is an old building. It may have been a luxurious 5-star when it was first built but not now.
- Extremely slow internet in the room

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your positive comments about the food, swimming pool and the spa.

I would like to bring to your notice that Sun-n-Sand Nagpur was commissioned in November, 2009 and is just 3 years old. The pricing for Guest rooms is in line with the market rates (Hotel's such such as The Pride and The Radisson).

The location for the Hotel was selected on the basis of the upcoming MIHAN project and SEZ being developed in the vicinity. The development is in full swing and it's only a matter of time that the area would become a world class location. Having said that the Hotel is located at a short 5 minute drive from the Airport and city centre is about 15 minutes away.

My team & I would like to welcome you again on your next visit to Nagpur.