“Does what it says on the tin”

Palma Bay Club Resort
Ranked #70 of 78 Hotels in Playa de Palma
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I booked this as short break over half term, a bit anxious because I didn't expect the weather to be too kind and I wasn't disappointed and my opinion of the hotel really reflects this. As it was late in the season, the dining and entertainment was more or less confined to the one building, so no pizza or oriental restaurants, nor, as you might expect any barbeques.

We had good flight thanks (thank you Ryan Air) and transfers, had a little wait to book in, not too strenuous but filled with trepidation as we approached the man with the power - behind the reception desk. We could see him looking, should we smile at him, or flash a 20 euro note, or will we inevitably hear those dreaded words - Nubia, Gobi et al? Or worse still Saga Hotel? Could all our nightmares come at once. Luckily my wife was listerning to him whilst all this was going through my mind and shot off in the direction of the Casablanca block, with me trudging behind as I hadn't been paying attention, where we had been allocated one of the small villa style bedrooms. It was a decent size, although its location under a small area of pine trees, which during hot weather must be like heaven, meant that very little of the sunshine there was, got through but it was pleasant nevertheless, and kept very clean by our very helpful cleaner, who provided us with an extra blanket and pillows when we asked and who had a lovely smile every morning when she arrived at our door.

I found all the staff to be very helpful, including the much maligned reception staff who were very helpful on the couple of occasions we spoke to them - maybe my smiling at him paid off in the end!

I thought the whole complex was very well looked after, clean and tidy, common areas regularly washed and even the fallen pine needles blown off the paved areas onto the soft ones, on a regular basis.

As a lot of guests had been 'funnelled' to a single restaurant, I imagine that it was almost as busy as during the more popular times but even so, there were only small queues at the most popular times and these were quickly dealt with. The rerataurant staff were very industrious and tables were cleaned and ready for use within a matter of moments. I have to say catering with this intensity does make for a rather hectic and noisy environment and towards the end of our 8 day stay we did eat out in more relaxed atmosphere for a change. The quality of the food was ok. At these prices, you're not going to get sirloin steak but what you do get is filling and quite varied and there's plenty of it. (Aren't salads just that much better in the southern areas of Europe?). Two personal small criticisms, overcooked fish - what a waste, and no fresh tomatoes with the meats and cheeses for breakfast. Oh and do try and find a way to keep the soup hot throughout.

I wasn't keen on the drinks, I understand the need to have plastic glasses near the swimming pools but couldn't there be larger glasses for beer? And that really brings me to the main criticism and the seasonal nature of the visit. In the evening it was cool and occasionally cold enough to require thick woolens at least, in those circumstances to have the main bar out in the cold was a little lacking in forethought. There was an indoor lounge but the bar wasn't open, meaning a trudge to the bar to get the miniscule beer and the drink of whatever my wife was having, as we could only get two drinks at a time. I got more excercise that night than any amount of climbing that incline from the beach to the hotel, something which is rarely mentioned but could cause difficulties for anyone with health problems who could find the, albeit short, walk a little strenuous.

And the cost? £420 for two people for 8 nights, booked through an online travel agent so probably a good deal cheaper if booked direct. And I think that is pretty good value for money.

PS I was so disappointed I couldn't write a bad review as I was reminded of Ruskin's belief that "If you wish to buy fresh oats that is expensive but if you're prepared to buy oats that have been through the horse firts, then that comes a little cheaper." Never mind I thought I'd write it anyway.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Northender1
Write a ReviewReviews (2,995)

Reviewed November 7, 2012

Ok, so the rooms are TINY and appear to have walls made of cardboard, and they only serve your drinks in child size cups, but the food was lovely, there was always room round the pool, and the place is clean. Evening entertainment outside was a bit chilly, but we took our blankets out of the room and wrapped up, it felt a bit like being on camp lol! If you go in a group of more than 4, don't expect to be able to eat at the same table, although the staff will try their best to seat you near each other. Not a bad place to go, just remember to take earplugs :)

Room Tip: Get your travel agent to confirm you're booked onto the main complex. It ensures they don't...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 7, 2012

went to this hotel on the 3rd of november for 3 nights all inlusive only ost me and my partner £240 so we werent really expeting much, but was in shock when we actually got there, we were in nubia block a short walk away from the hotel though the room was clean small basic no frills but ok, but we were on the ground floor and when we went to the patio there was a bar straight facing us and a busy main road so we had to keep the curtains closed as everyone who passed looked in the window, the food in the alcapoco dinning room was terrible and my partner was very ill, only one bar open and you had to sit outside in the freezing cold and rain as there was no shelter outside entertainment wasnt onen then it was till 9pm and even then it was terrible, on our last night we had a group of younger guests arguing and fighting outside our patio which went on for over an hour, if i knew what i was letting myself in for i would never of gone here and wont ever go back....worst holiday ever!!! oh and staff were very rude and the locals made it obvious they didnt want you there

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank anne m
Reviewed November 6, 2012

first and last time ill ever go to mojorca went to the palma bay hotel
but ended up in a dog kennel looking at a wall no balcony at all.
room was very dirty food under bed not even been cleaned .
went to complain and you get no sence out of them if you wasnt german
you had no chance. at to walk to go and get your food has they put us in a gobi
thinking we paid for the main hotel .would not recommend this hotel to nobody

1  Thank welshliz1967
Reviewed November 6, 2012

Like other reviewers, I was a bit apprehensive about staying here due to some of the reviews and I am quite fussy and like a bit of luxury! We did however only pay £200 each all inclusive for 6 days here so I expected the price to reflect the standards. I pad extra to stay in the main block of the hotel but when I arrived I was told we were in the Gobi block. I obviously complained that I had paid the extra and was told it was for just one night and they would more us the following day. The Gobi block was ok for one night, a poky little room with no sunlight but very clean. It was livable and not as bad as I thought. It was just a pain getting to and from the main hotel for meals etc. We were eventually moved the the main Acapulco block. The room was nice, spacious and clean, typical 3 star.
The food seemed ok but a bit repetative, however there was always something we liked and we are quite fussy. Although on day 3 we visited the snack bar I started with sickness, headaches and diarohea on day 4, my husband also got this shortly after me. This did spoil a day of the holiday. We did not eat anywhere else but the hotel so I can only put this down to the hotel food.
The all inclusive drinks were ok although you did have to queue if you wanted something alcoholic.
The hotel was very busy even in October and you were lucky to get a sunbed during the day or a table/ chair in the evenings. They really should open more bars in the hotel to ease the congestion. I would hate to see how they cope in the peak season.
Overall it was a nice break, it's only 5 minute walk from the beach which is lovely. The bars on the beach are very nice and we sat there a couple of evenings with a drink watching the sunset.
The bus stop is on the front and it's only 1.5 Euros to Palma which is well worth a visit. The bus to the aiport also only costs 2.5 Euros and 18 Euros for a taxi.
The resort is nice but mainly German. We also did the glass bottom boat trip which was great and excellent value. I would highly recommend this for 18 Euros.
The aquarium is nearby too as is a waterpark (although this was closed in October).
I would visit the hotel again for the price and maybe avoid the snackbar!
Just make sure when booking that you do book the main complex or the hotel.

1  Thank conrad169
Reviewed November 6, 2012

we booked our holiday through holiday gems, when we got to hotel it was morning the rooms wasnt ready they told us were to put our luggage and gave us wrist band we could use straight away which was good. when our room was ready they gave us our keys and a map we were given a room off the complex and about a 5 minute walk to a hotel on a dingy street the room was awful it was small the bathroom you could hardly turn in was a wet room we looked out on the balcony and had like a scrapyard facing we went back to the hotel and complained they gave us some more key which was in a hotel a street nearer but the room was just as bad as the 1st, infact smaller the bed was pushed against the wall and there was room for 1 person to walk at the side of the bed we were gutted having to stay in there would have ruined our holiday so we went back to the main hotel and my husband asked to speak to the manager who was a man called george we had spoke to him before hand when he knew we were complaining he couldnt speak english then anyway a man on receptio came over and told us thats what we had paid for we didnt know this as the pictures on screen showed lovely pictures etc. anyway we had to pay an extra 140 euros and we got a room on the complex once in here the holiday was just what we wanted the receptionist told us when booking we should have been told and we wasnt i have emailed holiday gems but havent heard anything from them. the room was kept clean the food was ok the entertainment wasnt brill it was good 1 night when it was a magician and he hypnotised as well. the hotel was at the top of a hill but not far from the beautiful beach. if you turn right when you get to the beach theres a tour service freddys tours we went on a trip with them it was an excellent day and good value

Room Tip: make sure you are on complex otherwise the rooms are small and dingy
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Just returned from palma bay hotel we stayed in the Acapulco block room 303 no complaints about the room what so ever basic but clean , Food was fine always something you could find to eat , i was very nervous after reading some of the horror reviews but had no need to be was all fine , i did hear some complaints of a family while i was there about D&V which i had one day but think the large amount of drink i consumed the night before was the cause and not the hotel as such my only complaint i would have is the rude women in the snack bar she shouldnt be near the public let alone working with them not that she was rude directly to me but did watch her most days with many people , would return to this complex if i wanted a quick value for money late deal again :-) x

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
#5 of 5 in Cala Major
Mediterranean Bay Hotel
Mediterranean Bay Hotel
#3 of 44 in El Arenal

Been to Palma Bay Club Resort? Share your experiences!