“Excellent, not 5 star but excellent base”
Review of Hotel Palma Playa

Hotel Palma Playa
Ranked #26 of 77 Hotels in Playa de Palma
Chessington, United Kingdom
“Excellent, not 5 star but excellent base”
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Read a few comments here, and yes, it's very much aimed at German tourists, but I found no problems with that. Well the whole area's aimed at Germans, most of the bars and cafes speaks German and there are a lot of them about, but hey ho, we are tourists too and I found no problems with anybody at the hotel or any of the bars around just because I spoke English and not German, and to be fair most of the people there speak at least German and English, as well as French and a few other languages, hell after all, they’re there to make money whatever languages you speak :)

The staff and service I found very helpful and friendly. I had asked for a double room, but found when I got there I got two singles pushed together. This is not usually a problem, but here they were defo 2 singles, each with its own blankets tucked in, on super smooth rollers so the slightest movements made them separate and roll to the opposite end of the room at speed, which made for an interesting first nap. But went downstairs, and we were swiftly relocated to a proper double room. I had a problem in the new room with the shower, downstairs again and they sent a bloke up pretty much straight away and showed me there was nothing wrong with the shower, just my ignorance in operating it. All done with no fuss and complete easy going atmosphere.

The bar was great, well happy hour (8-10pm) was good and cheap, music there very 80s-90s and agreeable. Didn’t go for the disco night, stayed outside enjoying the warm evening and drinks whilst bingo?? was on (in 2 languages) one night.

The food was interesting, and yes some mornings there was no beans but heck, there was hot and cold buffet, usual cereals and fruits. Evening meal was also good, plenty of food, nothing amazing but all edible. Only had 2 dinners there cause was out most nights trying other cafes and bars, which were nice without maybe, being amazing, but guess if wanted to spend more could have gone to proper foodie restaurants.

The hotel had just had a make over just before we went there, all white washed and coloured balconies, very clean and nice. Didn’t try the pool myself but some of the Germans did and from their reactions I guess it was cold, it was early March after all.

I would def recommend this hotel, for me after all it is a place to rest and change and sleep, and the showers were hot and strong, which is good. Usual room cleaned every day and towels changed as you would expect. Don’t get a cab from the airport, get a 21 bus instead, and 2.5 E per person, as opposed to about 25 E for a cab to Playa, which I did the 1st time I went to Playa.

To sum up found the hotel suited my needs, been to Playa 3 times in the last year, and this hotel I am going back to in September. Remember it’s a 3 star hotel, food not as good as a 4 star I stayed at before, but why just eat in when there are so many other places to try?

Room Tip: Get the 21 bus from the airport, no need for a cab. Ask the driver for the hotel and he'll drop...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank OzT

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
dundee, scotland, united kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

if we were german, the service would be phenomenal, we would be made to feel welcome, we would be able to eat, (bread rolls for tea last night) was so excited to see beans this morning at breakfast.
The food is awful, thank goodness for cheese, bread and water.
THE FOOD NEEDS TO BE LABELLED!!!!
Its basically a lucky dip, you've no idea what your eating!!!
The room is clean and basic, maids are in daily.
Tv in the room would be great if you spoke german or spanish, however the only english channel is bbc world news, there is only so much news you can watch, even just a basic music channel would be great.
The best part of the hotel is between 8 pm and 10 pm, happy hour, the barman is the nicest and friendliest member of staff!!! (With the exception of the chef lady who always was pleasant, nice and always spoke) Would be great if they played current music in the bar and not just german music and as for the football, barcelona and real madrid playing and they wouldn't play the game on telly because there was a local german match on!!!
The location of the hotel is great, the bus stop is just outside and they run frequently into palma and are cheap, I would probably highly recommend the hotel if we were made to feel welcome by the staff and if we were to be catered for food wise. (when I use the word we I mean anyone not german)
I don't expect hilton standards but I do expect common courtesy and a level of standards given to each guest no matter what the nationality, our money is just as good as theres!!
So bottom line is, if you want a holiday where your surrounded by a nice hotel filled with rude people(staff and guests), if you like to be ignored, where nothing you say matters then this is certainly the place to go!!!

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank tracey_west121012

Travelers are raving about these Playa de Palma hotels

Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 16, 2013

spent 5 days here and i would never go again
only one member of staff was friendly and that was the barman
the food was really bad lived on chips and icecream the whole time i was there at one point the bar was shut in the afternoon and could not get a drink had to use a vending machine

Room Tip: dont ask for pool view as you will not get any sun on your balcany at all
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Not much to say about this hotel, it's old dirty and noisy. We had a late flight in so decided to take this hotel as it is close to the airport.... we were only staying for about 6 hours and this hotel sounded just fine for that. We were given a very basic small room full of student dorm style furniture, everything bolted down and in need of a very good scrub. Stains on the walls and ceiling tells the story of the previous summer's fun away from the folks. Hardly slept a wink because of the yelling and noise in the corridors. I thought twice about using the bathroom but tried to imagine I was 16 again and it was fine.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Mancini_BXL
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Just back from staying one week at Playa Palma Los Cactus. Had a brilliant time! Very friendly helpful staff, especially the men who worked the bar, and the female lifeguard. Even though the majority of visitors were from Germany, their English was excellent. Breakfast was terrific, great selection and plenty of it, again with very friendly helpful staff. We were even welcomed before opening time this morning so we could eat before leaving early for airport. Room was basic but very clean with a lovely balcony and even furniture for use on it. Even had a TV though most channels were in German but that would suit majority of guests. Would definitely recommend this hotel and look forward to returning there sometime soon.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Estelle A
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 15, 2012

Stayed here for a night with some friends. We wanted a place near the airport for an early flight. For one night it was fine - basic but clean and friendly. Breakfast just ok but can't complain for the price, The decor is sparse and the walls thin. I don't think I'd have fancied a week here but as I say was absolutely fine for a night. Quiet too - when we stayed it was mostly a mature Crowd.

.As some previous posters have said the area is virtually completely dominated by the German Market. But we ( all English) did not find that a problem at all and had a great evening visiting the Bierkoenig, Megapark and Oberbayern - everyone friendly and having a great time. Good mixture of ages. It does help though if you can speak some German,and like beer and Ballerman music!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank babbelfish
Poznan, Poland
Reviewed October 1, 2012

I spent 3 nights in this hotel during my stay in Mallorca in april 2012. I found this hotel very nice, It is good situated, close to the sea and many shops, pubs, restaurants, and other places where you can spend time, eat and drink. The ample meals in the hotel restaurant were very tasty and varied. Hotel staff is friendly and helpful. They arranged us car rental as well as airport transfer.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple