“Could be better!”

Ranked #31 of 92 Hotels in Puerto Del Carmen
Gothenburg, Sweden
“Could be better!”
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

This hotel could be so much better.
I contacted the hotel for a room upstairs in advance. I didn't get though they told me they would solve it a couple of days after we arrived. The communication with the reception was poor with tired staff.

I had to pay for TV, I had to pay for worthless wifi connection. Though I payed for it I couldn't use the wifi on 2 devices at the same time.

When we arrived to our room, practically in the basement the room was quite nice and tidy. BUT, after 5 minutes I heard my mom screaming from the kitchen. A tiny mouse ran over the kitchen floor. Not so tidy after all...

Along came a janitor and spray killed the mouse under the sink. So, the next guests after us will probably feel the smell of dead mouse.

The only thing that was really good was the cleaning service. Very nice.

If they improve and listen to their customers they could become a good hotel...

Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Finnish first
Glasgow
Reviewed February 6, 2014

This was my 3rd return to this complex. I booked direct with the apartments(no agent), was travelling with 3 friends to celebrate my birthday. Having been here before I requested an apartment in a specific block due to noise levels and not wanting a ground floor, however on arrival was giving the worst apartment possible, basement, on the road side next to the night gate and the cleaners room..... I did advise that I was very unhappy with this as had requested months in advance a specific room location, Peter the guy on reception was apologetic and on reading previous views I can see possibly the reason I was not given the requested room, due to issues with the Apartments owners.

All of the above besides these are fantastic apartments, pool was great, no race for sunbeds however still the same reserving taking place and then the beds not being used. Apartments clean, towels changed 3 times in the week with everything you could need for self catering.

Apartments are 2 min walk from the strip and centro atlantico along the side road. We had another fantastic time here and will definitely return.

I would recommend these to anyone my only issue with the basement rooms is there is absolutely no ventilation, you can't leave the window / door open for safety reasons and therefore the entire room is damp always, our clothes where damp, the bedding was damp, even our boarding passes where wet!

Pros - Central, clean, friendly staff, supermarket across the road,

Cons - basement room , dampness, noise level

Room Tip: Specify no basement
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Ton7
Stockport, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 4, 2014

I would love to be able to review this accommodation, but although I booked over 4 months in advance I received an email from the manager of the apartments 48 hours before I was due to leave UK to advise me that they had cancelled my booking!! He explained that one of the 2 owners had sold off several of the rooms to another company who were paying more than the booking agent (alpharooms) I had used. He went on the explain that he would be disappointing a lot of other customers until April, so if you have booked these apartments be aware you may be in a similar position to us.
Upside is they booked us into some lovely apartments across the road Cinco Plazas which were lovely but a very large complex with very very cold pools and food not to my british taste as it is a Scandanavian hotel.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank Janine S
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Our second visit to the Parque Tropical and it did'nt disappoint. We asked for the same apartment as we had before but this was unavailable, so we were given an adjacent apartment which was just as good. We booked a three week holiday covering both Christmas and the New Year, the first time we had been away at this time of year. Everything was good from check in to check out and as ever all the staff were friendly and helpful. This really is an exceptional complex with the two pools, pool bar and the wonderful 'Nicos' restaurant on site. I couldn't find any fault. This is my second review of this complex and it seems more attractive than ever. The only down side is the television stations provided which for me were only Sky news and nothing else. Can't wait to go back again!

Room Tip: Rooms 30 plus are at the back but get a first floor apartment to get the sun.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank graeme s
Reviewed January 8, 2014 via mobile

Lack of sun beds. Not suitable for young children. Not clean 2 out of 10 for cleaning very poor. Even the grounds were Filty. May suit young part couple. Staff not great on customer service. Was dissatisfied.

Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Christina K
Drammen, Norway
Reviewed January 5, 2014

We were a little disappointed when we got here, but that's just because it has such great reviews on tripadvisor - so we didn't take in that it actually is a three star hotel. When we realised this we ended up being satisfied. The most important thing is: It was clean, had everything we needed, wasn't far away from the beach/main street, and had a supermarket just over the road.

Sunbathing:
The sunbeds both in the balcony and at the pool was good. There wasn't any problem getting sunbeds by the pool, since it wasn't allowed to "reserve" - yet there was someone that did this anyway.
The beach is also really close, so you can go there as well. We didn't, so I can't say so much about that.

Shopping:
As said, there was a supermarket beside the hotel, and there was two more not that far away (less than 5 min walking).
There are plenty souvernir-shops, so I suggest you go around and look at what you want before you shop, because you can save a money by doing that. Remember to bargain!
We recommend the Tequise Market on sundays, we went with Last Minute travels both sundays we were there. Was so lucky that one of the times the lady who talked in front of the bus gave us some history about the island. Remember to bargain hard when you're at the market!
There are more markeds on the Island, you can get more information about them at the Information at the beach. We went one time to Playa Blanca. It was okay, but Tequise was much larger.

Information about anything:
There is a official information station just by the beach when you walk down the road from Parque Tropical, to the left and on the beach-side of the road. You can't miss it. They will give you almost any information you need, bus-information and such, and they have great maps you can get. Doesn't cost you anything since its official.

More about the apartment:
It had anything you needed to make breakfast, and even dinner if you want to. So if you're on a budget vacation it's really good. We enjoyed it much. Can eat breakfast on the balcony also. The bedroom had to separate beds, we didn't notice that in the description about the hotel until we got there and had to check.
The showers had good pressure (some hotels have bad showers, this one didn't, I think it's good to know that you can wash off soap and such), so that was also good. Was a little bit cold-warm-cold-warm sometimes, but not too bad.

Also, just for your information: There are some flyers laying around with travels that are pretty cheap (Scandiavian travels, atlanta travels). They are good when you are on a budget, but be informed that you have to listen to a presentation about wool. Ofcourse there is something fishy when it's so cheap, but then again: if you are on a budget vacation it wont hurt to listen to something for an hour or three to get some of the journeys pretty cheap.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank beritkj
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed December 14, 2013

We booked this holiday about a week or 2 beforehand with a package holiday company (I think it was sunway.ie). It worked out to be very reasonably priced with flights and transport from the airport to the accommodation itself.

The apartment itself was spotless, we requested one upstairs just in case there was a chance of any creepy crawlies! I would recommend people ask for an upstairs one. There was a fan in the kitchen/living area and one in the bedroom. Since it was so hot at night and we went in late August/early September we kept the fan on all night at a low setting. I'd imagine if it was June/July the highest setting would definitely be required!

Location wise it is so close to just EVERYTHING. We were very happy with that. Right across from a supermarket which was very reasonable (baguettes for 38c) so had fresh bread every morning! It's about a 5 minute walk from the main strip, if even, so restaurants and bars are only a 5 minute walk yet the 5 minutes away also made it quiet at night - we were never woken up with noise on the street or loud music. It's also about 5 minutes from the beach.

We went to the beach a few times but found the sand to be a bit too hot to bear walking on so spent most days using the pool in the apartments which was just perfect for relaxing and tanning and having a jump in the pool.

As my boyfriend and I were 19 at the time, we went looking for a relaxing couples sun holiday, but also wanted there to be some nightlife, as in bars and clubs. Plenty of bars with really good cocktail deals, I think a place called 'Africa' had a happy hour and you got 2 cocktails for €5!

Wifi cost €20 which we did pay, although you were only allowed log in with the code to one device at a time. There was a safe in the room which you could pay a deposit for, but we chose not to.

Security wise is another reason I would recommend being upstairs, I think I personally just felt safer! The maid came nearly every day (I don't actually remember)

All in all, I would definitely recommend this complex to everyone! Perfect for young couples as we were, perfect for families and there were plenty of older couples too (as in 40-50s, no offence made it's just we're such a young couple ourselves anybody 30+ to us is considered old!)

Room Tip: request one upstairs with a pool veiw
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple