Where to start.....reception...check in was good, speedy and no problems. Shown where our room was on a map...no need...out the back of reception facing onto their side wall. This despite emailing and asking for pool view room, I know this is not guaranteed but the place was not fully booked. We were on ground floor. First problem...couldn't get door open, receptionist had to come and show us how to open door. You had to pull door towards you to get in and make sure door was at correct bit before it would open. Once in, initial impression, old and dated but looked clean. Kitchen area, kettle and coffee make looked about 20 years old, yellow and grubby. No toaster despite being on their inventory list. Inside oven, no grill pan wire tray, no way to make toast. You wouldn't anyway. Kitchen utensils so old they looked black and rusty especially tin opener. Bathroom, looked presentable but beware at night, things come out to play. Hair dryer ok for drying hair but I have short hair so maybe if it is long, a bit more difficult. Bedroom, 2 single needs pushed together. Fine. Not a lot of room at bottom of bed due to small dressing table. No full
length mirror for us women to use at night before going out. Outside. Verandah area looked onto small garden and side wall as prev mentioned. Pool area was kept very clean but uncomfortable sunbeds, the spar type. Pool was freezing and you couldn't stay in any length of time, even if you could get in. Pool bar, needs torn down and rebuilt. Dirty and mismatched furniture. Cables hanging all over walls. Old arcade machines lying about not being used. In behind the counter/bar is really not healthy, green chopping board with large black area in centre with same knife used day in and out lying on a filthy work top. Dead flies above bar stuck to surround. Food sometimes looked ok but the day we ordered a simple hotdog and chips it came out burnt to bits. This comes from the restaurant on the premises. Just outside on right.
Right, back to the apartment....if you don't have a strong stomach, stop reading! Inside cupboards plate racks are rusted and dirty. Doors hang squint on kitchen cupboards. Not so small visitors appear sitting on top of fridge. Look like medium size beetles. They are inside cupboards too. My husband opened fridge and found one eating a bar of chocolate we had in there. He didn't tell me this till we were leaving or I would have freaked out. We had been eating out the whole time anyway due to state of kitchen. In bathroom thro the night you could see these same beetles running about the floor in the dark. Put the light on. There are also other smaller beasts that live behind the mirror and behind door frame. We even found one of the beetles running over our toothbrushes, these were kept in small tumbler on wall so not on unit. Not very nice. We didn't even try and go to reception, there was no point because when we tried to complain about the food in pool bar, all you get is, "not understand". We were only there for a couple of days after this so just spent most of our time outside. The overflow in the sink was black, I noticed this one day when brushing teeth and it made me boak. Occasional a small of drains/ sewage came out of the sink too.
Lighter note, TV, no English speaking channels unless you hire the remote. Everything is for hire, except free wifi, which we couldn't get to work anyway. The safe is the old type with lock and key.
The light in centre of lounge area, bare wires at top where attachment had come away from ceiling.
I could go on but don't want think about it anymore. Except the handle we were told there was nothing wrong with at the beginning, came off in my husbands hand, it was fixed quickly but honestly, JUST DON'T! go to the unrefurbished apartments, they should be condemned.
We didn't say anything to the rep because in our previous encounters with reps, they can't resolve any issues you have and we did ask to be moved initially but were told there was no room. If you have small crawling children beware they may pick up a small snack while crawling about.
There are some cats that go about and you are told not to interact with them, but in my estimation, these cats are in better condition than these apartments. Definitely cleaner.
How they can have an award from tripadvisor amazes me because I have always looked here before and never had a bad place since doing so.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- LABRANDA Playa Club are just 50 metres away from the sea, and 150 metres from Puerto del Carmen's longest beach called "Playa Grande". This complex has 2 outdoor pools and a supermarket next to the complex seperated by a security door. The centre of Puerto del Carmen is less than 2 km away. The apartment complex has a 24-hour reception. There is also a restaurant serving à la carte menu and a buffet breakfast every day. Each spacious apartment is brightly decorated and has a balcony or terrace. There is a living area with satellite TV, a kitchenette and breakfast bar. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Hotwire, Priceline, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Evoline ltd so you can book your LABRANDA Playa Club reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Playa Club Hotel Puerto Del Carmen
- Playa Hotel Puerto Del Carmen
- Playa Club Lanzarote
- Playa Resort Puerto Del Carmen
- LABRANDA Playa Club Lanzarote/Puerto Del Carmen